The Firemen's Ball Reviews

• May 10, 2020

I can't really grasp onto Forman's early stuff. The humor works but it's like a mish mash of ideas going on that don't really come together. Robert Altman seems to be a major influence on this.

• Jun 06, 2018

Its humor is a slow burn, piling up the catastrophes one after another until the whole kit and caboodle goes up in flames. There's a spark here—just a spark, really, a bright hint at the pyrotechnics that will come later in Forman's career—but it's hard to know whether it's of madness or of genius, though it's likely a mixture of the two, the madness of the maddening crowd, the genius of a blossoming subversion. Yet, despite how bright the satire and the humor, I found the film to be somewhat dull, just as its characters and worldview are dim. It is a film that requires patience for the humor to grow, but for me, by the time the set up was paid off, I had grown impatient with the buffoonery and stupidity—though perhaps, to a degree, that is built in to the movie. Whatever political heat this carried in 1967, whatever foreign charm, is lost now, like ashes in the wind, now turned cool into snow.

Alec B Super Reviewer
    May 02, 2018

There's a kind of brutal honesty at the heart of all the madcap antics. Forman clearly sees humans for what they are and no high minded ideals or political systems will every change that.

• Sep 01, 2017

Follow the farcical misadventures of a small Czech fire dept trying to honor their ailing chairman in Milos Forman's final hometown film chock full of scathing mockery of Soviet society. Big Shocker: this film was permanently banned.

• Mar 24, 2017

The genuine acting and the humorous situations make this movie really funny to watch. The people in this movie, you can almost make caricatures out of them. They all have such memorable and distinct different faces and personalities. This movie just confirms how great Milos is as a director. How he can make something so simple, have only one film location, and make it so entertaining. I love how everything falls apart towards the end, nothing goes as planned. It was so sad seeing that old man still sitting there at the end and everyone gone. As if everyone had forgotten about him. Pretty damn cynical movie but a great one at that. Very funny movie!

• Marcus W Super Reviewer
    Mar 09, 2017

Very interesting early work from Forman and a sly satire on Communism

Very interesting early work from Forman and a sly satire on Communism

• Sep 08, 2016

Despite such accusations, Director Milos Forman rebuffed the claim that his bouncy, packed comedy-of-manners about plans gone awry doubled as a political allegory. I think it does, and brilliantly so.

• Jul 28, 2016

On of the brightest highlights of director Milos Forman's now-legendary filmography. A film on how people interact with one another.

• Feb 23, 2016

It's a fun picture, with hilarious pokes at Czech life. It's wonderfully short, and doesn't overreach in any other way either.

• Dec 11, 2015