The Forger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Forger Reviews

½ January 25, 2016
While its plot indeed held promise, The Forger lacks the thrills its premise held, instead going with slow pacing and laughably bad dialogue.

Full Review: Every once in a while, we get a movie so bland, boring, and forgettable it feels like one of the least productive ways to kill an hour and a half. The Forger does just this, with an uninspired script and lazy production that's probably a result of nobody really caring. The romance subplot is typical and predictable. The movie tries often to add flare to its boring continuity by throwing in a few engaging elements, but ultimately doing nothing with them. Ultimately, the movie is just a predictable, typical, and forgettable experience you won't miss one bit.
½ November 21, 2015
The scenery/artwork is pretty and you're compelled in the beginning to feel poorly for the main character (you could tell even here that Josh Hutcherson was going places, for his acting is good, though the script is not) but it physically pains me to see the plot pan out. The leaps in logic are tremendous. I'm talking volatile acts of violence glossed over one scene later CONTINUOUSLY (there must be something in the water making everyone so forgiving), occurrences in the movie that never affect the plot or come to light again, and awful/non-realistic conversations between characters. I felt compelled at one point to pause the movie and start a screenplay of my own for this movie made it look extremely easy to sell a movie. I only continued to watch for the laughable content (and not surprisingly the resolution was unsatisfying).
½ October 10, 2015
Dull. As another reviewer said, this is exactly like a Lifetime TV movie.
September 8, 2015
Had the potential to be an interesting story but something was off. I'm guessing this is meant for Josh Hutcherson fans. At least i enjoyed Lauren Bacall
½ March 19, 2015
Oh my God. This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It gets literally everything else other than a short runtime wrong. From the terrible performances to the awful story, The Forger is garbage on all levels possible and I implore viewers not to witness this travesty.
½ May 26, 2014
Disappointing is the word to describe this film. This film has a cast of recognised actors, Unfortunately they are let down by a plodding script and very poor production and directing.

The acting isn't completely terrible, Josh Hutcherson is his usual self, though he is good at representing his characters combustible nature. Hayden Panettiere is woefully underused and underwritten, Alfred Molina and Lauren Bacall are on autopilot. Rounding up the cast is Billy Boyd, while Tricia Helfer makes a small cameo.

I will say that the scenes in which a masterpiece is recreated as a forgery is actually quite interesting and well researched, it seem like the only the director actually managed to get right. Making it worthy of an extra half star rating.,

A film for the fans of the cast, which is incidentally why I sought it out, otherwise one to avoid.
February 23, 2014
Without exaggerating, this could quite possibly be the best movie I have ever seen. Joshua, a 16 year old boy abandoned by his mother and left homeless, must struggle to survive. His talent for art is his saving grace. Without going overboard into "wholesome" territory, The Forger tackles some heavy themes such as integrity and how to treat women. This is one of those films that can be enjoyed by adults, yet could also be shown to a youth group. It's that good. And yes, Josh Hutcherson is amazing. He shows off his acting chops in his portrayal of a confused teenage boy. Oh, and one funny thing...I watched the whole movie without realizing Lauren Bacall was in it (head smack)! I should have known by her voice. Definitely put The Forger as #1 in your Netflix queue.
February 21, 2014
I had a difficult time believing Hutcherson as a 15 year old with painting skills enough to mimic classic painters to the point of fooling experts. The acting is not a problem; Bacall seemed to struggle to keep up with her role. The story is told in a subdued or restrained manner. It comes together too slowly and parts of it begin and end going nowhere. I was bored through chunks of it.
February 18, 2014
This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The character's emotions swing wildly and impulsively resembling nothing more than cartoonish extrapolations of humanity. The concept sounded interesting, but the execution was awful. With a good cast like this I expected more - clearly this production had more money than sense.
½ January 15, 2014
This movie started out very slow and boring but as it went on my eyes were glued to the TV
January 11, 2014
Josh Hutcherson is great in this.
December 23, 2013
Pretty good. Sheds light on the art world
½ December 5, 2013
a movie that had promiae but ended up being long, alow and predictable. could of also had a different feel for it, almost had a made-for-TV feel and was taling itself way too serious. watch if you like but not a recommendation.
November 28, 2013
Wasn't a big fan. It didn't stick with the story line very well.
November 26, 2013
Fist you kiss the hand THEN you kiss the girl!!!!~~
November 19, 2013
Joshua acts in an illogical manner.
November 6, 2013
good movie , felt like old time movie watchings ..
November 1, 2013
The Forger (2012) is a small budget thriller that rarely thrills and never threatens to be anything remotely close to good. Apart from Lauren Bacall, I couldn't say one actor looked remotely interested in acting, with Alfred Molina & Hayden Panettiere putting in particularly sloppy performances.
October 28, 2013
bon film sur les TACTIQUES des faussaires des arts
October 18, 2013
Fairly ok movie, good cast, predictable script. Nothing special, a low budgeted movie that isn't worth watching. The movie teaches us two lessons, don't judge a book by its cover and don't live with lost hope.