The Fox & the Child - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fox & the Child Reviews

½ August 6, 2013
Directed by Luc Jacquet, who had won worldwide critical and commercial acclaim for March of the Penguins (2005), picking up an Oscar on the way. For his next film, he wanted to do something semi-autobiographical, some which was partially based on his childhood. What we get is one part nature documentary and one part fairy tale, and it makes for a winning combination, and it's something that's seldom seen on film these days. In the Jura Mountains in Eastern France, a young girl (Bertille Noël-Bruneau) spends most of her days out in the countryside, exploring and taking in what she can see. One day, while riding her bike to school, she encounters a fox, when the girl tries to get closer, the fox runs away, but the girl becomes intrigued and wants to see the fox again. She spends months looking, and she finds the fox again, and even though the fox is nervous, she manages to bond with the fox, they go on adventures in the mountains, where they encounter a dangerous wolf pack, but the girl becomes obsessed with the fox, which does start to scare the poor fox. It's a lovely film, and done in an innovative way, where they got the nature footage done first, and the story was built around the footage, but it is visually stunning, even if there is no plot to speak of, but that doesn't matter, it's still an enchanting film to look upon.
May 2, 2013
Beautifully shot magical film about a young girl who makes friends with a fox. Makes you sad and happy at the same time, sad because the girl realises she can never really tame and own the fox, happy because despite this the fox loves.
April 26, 2013
The worst movie ever created
December 27, 2012
Good movie...
This film shows very beautiful and very diverse pictures of animals, landscapes and weather. It is also worth viewing as a touching story of the personal development of a young girl, emotionally maturing during her friendship with the fox. Young children will also enjoy the film as a - though somewhat conventional - adventure story.
½ December 20, 2012
I thought this movie was lovely, I will watch this movie again, I would love it on DVD, I thought this film was lovely and I loved the scenery in the film, it starred Bertille Noël-Bruneau and Kate Winslet
½ August 23, 2012
I cannot get over how absolutely stunning all of the locations are for this movie. It's so mesmerizing and calming.

I resignated with the main character, for 1 she looks alot like myself at that age and her kindered spirit to connect on many levels with animals was a map to my own youth. Jacquet's follow-up to his very successful first outing definitely has similair visual splendor and some very impressive interactive footage of the little girl and the fox. However, the story is whimsical and the little girl becomes quite frustrating in her stupidity in attempting to domesticate the wild animal.
August 18, 2012
Haven't heard the Winslet Overdub, but with the original french dialogue and subtitles, its gorgeous, relaxed with beautiful cinematography and sound. Consider it a french nature program with a little girl's perspective thrown in
½ July 23, 2012
Loving something doesn't mean possessing them.
March 8, 2012
This is Tilly's new favourite movie.
½ March 6, 2012
Beautifully shot yes, but i didnt care much for the movie becuase im not a little girl at a sleepover. Badly dubbed, annoying voiceover. Did make we want to visit the Plateau de Retord though
March 4, 2012
Slow, but amazing cinematography and animal photography is some of the best I have every seen. Very beautiful and the little girl is very appealing.
September 24, 2011
wildlife shots are class - bout the best of it
August 28, 2011
the scenery is just wow. the movie is just mesmerizing and utterly lovely.
May 10, 2011
Jackanory-esque voiceover from Winslet lends a syrupy tone to this mawkish and slow, but beautifully shot, human/beastie buddy movie. The result is Nature seen through the eyes of a solitary and fanciful child with Jacquet intensifying the theatricality of it all by playing around with scale, amplifying every sound and raising the wildlife count. The Fox and the Child is more than a wildlife documentary. It invites us to contemplate alternative worlds of sensation and experience, to enter the consciousness of other species, to explore our contacts with them. There's plenty of scope for sentimental tears, but I hope most children will go away with something punchier - a longing to observe the natural world in this much detail, and a new respect for the difference between owning something, and loving it.

VERDICT: "Matinée" - (Mixed reaction). These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says to pay matinée prices to see at a theatre, buy an ex rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own.
February 23, 2011
So beautiful! Watched the dubbed English version, would love to see it in the original French!
December 31, 2010
Amazing acting esp by the fox, slow paced but excellently produced and relaxing... an enchanting visual treat that's quite sweet, the little girl is adorable!
½ December 30, 2010
Everyone who thinks they love animals should watch this film. It's a wake up call. I am surprised I willingly watched the whole film. We cannot tamed the wilderness, we cannot control the nature, we are definitely not the superior species that can rule every living beings. Respect the environment and all it provided us.
December 27, 2010
a beautiful adventure of love and ownership within breathtaking nature!
December 27, 2010
His previous film "March of The Penguins" was an impressive nature programme, on a par with David Attenborough. This time director Luc Jacquet attempts more of the same but combines the nature side with a fictional fairy-tale narrative.
It tells the very basic story of a little girl living ruraly who befriends a fox. At first, the relationship between them is obviously strained but they grow to trust one another and strike up a real heartfelt affinity.
Jacquet's follow-up to his very successful first outing definitely has similair visual splendor and some very impressive interactive footage of the little girl and the fox. However, the story is whimsical and the little girl becomes quite frustrating in her stupidity in attempting to domesticate the wild animal. Kate Winslet's VoiceOver is a tad on the twee side also and becomes too sugary sweet. The visuals are excellent though, with some stunning cinematography and beautiful landscapes and even if its not an entirely successful amalgamation, it's still a fine attempt at one. Childish but charming.