The Freebie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Freebie Reviews

May 4, 2015
It's well acted, but it turns out to be just another film about a boring, straight, white, monogamous married couple. It presents a message that is no different than any other Hollywood film about a couple in a similar situation. It suggests that anything that deviates from a "normal" monogamous heterosexual relationship is wrong, and no matter how much trust you believe is rooted in your relationship, nothing will stop you from falling into a jealous rage with your partner. It simply not saying anything new or interesting. We've seen endless films explore relationships from this perspective. It would have been nice if Aselton was willing to bring something new to this area of discussion.
½ September 28, 2013
It drowns under the weight of it's boring and slow story. Honesty is the best policy and when a couple can't be honest with each other then it's time to get out especially when it's as dull as this one.
August 18, 2013
an honest but ultimately predictable movie about how fragile love can be.
½ August 18, 2013
When watching "Hall Pass" (starring Owen Wilson), I remember thinking that it'd be interesting to see a serious look at how allowing the partner to have a one night stand might transform the relationship. Annie and Darren have been married for seven years. They are happy, probably more affectionate to each other than the average 7-year-old couple I know. However, they decide to allow each other a one night stand to bring some life into their relationship. It's needless to say that this creates danage that is difficult to repair. The most interesting part of the movie are the discussions the couple has before and after the "event". In the end, it's only remotely comparab;ly to Hall Pass but, particularly, for it's low budget it's a great human-centered depiction of possible scenario.
March 11, 2013
I am going to pass on this one.
March 1, 2013
Cute movie with a moral tale
February 17, 2013
Blue Valentine covered the theme of a crumbling marriage much better.
½ September 16, 2012
Didn't see it, but find Dak so offensive, I know I'd hate it.
½ March 16, 2012
Not very funny nor entertaining.
½ January 22, 2012
The bad reviews kind of startle me. I really enjoyed this film. It was a great look into the question many couples end up going through. Mick LaSalle says it best: "Aselton gets a lot said in 78 minutes. I think the main thing she says is something never overtly spoken, that life is essentially a lonely experience - even when we're surrounded by activity, and even if we never shut up."
½ January 9, 2012
Bad. Not the least bit funny.
½ January 7, 2012
It was not easy to sit still and just watch the movie, because it consists of pretty much everyday scenes and nothing else too spetacular. With that being said, it also made it feels realistic in some way, which connects closely to the premise of the movie.
½ December 8, 2011
After a dinner party, Annie(Katie Aselton, who also directed) and Darren(Dax Shepard) are inspired by a newly single friend to talk about hypothetical sex partners. It's not until their nightly crossword puzzles that the potential becomes increasingly real and they even start to hash out the details of a mutual one night stand.

As a promising directorial debut, "The Freebie" is a bracingly honest look at relationships.(Even at one point when he is obviously lying, Darren is also telling the truth.) The central question is whether a relationship can survive without sex? And I know cynics and "The Object of My Affection" point out that all marriages devolve into friendships, but does that really have to be the case in Darren and Annie? Although as inferred later, this is only the sympton of a much larger ingredient that is missing from their marriage. Thankfully, this movie does not overstay its welcome in trying to find those answers, as it eventually develops a nonsequential structure starting with Annie's walk of shame.
November 28, 2011
This is a great independent film.
October 21, 2011
not too funny and kinda really lame
October 20, 2011
I am sure there is a good movie in there but it struggled to come out in this film.

It was slow and predictable with a very poor ending.

Make it was just the subject or the low budget element to the film but is struggled to grab me.
October 3, 2011
Kind of annoying, the story, the dialogues and esp. the main male character. Was the moral lesson learned? Don't think so, cause if you really go for it in the first place, I don't think there's any hope for your relationship left.
September 13, 2011
It was... Interesting I suppose. Stupid ass idea but sorta interesting 2 watch it play out BUT am I the only one wondering did they really freaking do it?? I dnt want it 2 b left 4 me 2 use my imagination I want 2 freaking knw!!!??
September 3, 2011
here's a film where the cliches and limitations of low-budget indie drama and pleasantly overshadowed by a strong script and great performances. Dax Shepard in particular surprised me by how much honesty and pathos he brought to his role. a challenging idea for any couple to really consider, and although the outcome is predictable, i found this journey to be quite interesing because of the cast.