The Fury of a Patient Man (Tarde para la ira) Reviews

• Oct 08, 2017

Le cinéma espagnol devient de plus en plus intéressant et Tarde Para La Ira ne manque pas de s'ajouter aux bons films que produit l'Espagne. Le film est très bien construit du début à la fin et les personnages sont particulièrement crédible ce qui donne au final un très bon thriller tout en ayant un certain côté western "moderne".

• Jul 29, 2017

It is not a Hollywood thriller movie and when it starts nothing suggests what is about to come: a gory quest for ruthless revenge. The performances, especially that of la Torre, are minimalistic but utterly convincing and expressive. When it all comes to the end one is left with the lingering feeling of satisfaction and slight bewilderment. Three stars would be too little and perhaps four are a little too much but three and a half feel not enough.

• Jul 20, 2017

Uno de los mejores thrillers españoles sobre la venganza de los ùltimos años.

Uno de los mejores thrillers españoles sobre la venganza de los ùltimos años.

• Apr 26, 2017

When we talk about revenge, anybody is capable. It won four Goya Awards, the Spanish Academy Awards, including for the best film of the year. This is the directional debut for the actor of another same award winning film 'Marshland'. It is a revenge flick, but not your typical one. Probably one of the best I have seen, because of the uniqueness. There's nothing special in the film making, its just the screenplay how everything was developed keeping viewers and their guessing game in mind. So that means it does not have breathtaking twists and turns, but being simple and delivering the crucial parts with effectively makes it a perfect on its kind. An interesting title, all the way the film stand for it. Looks knowing synopsis before the watch is a spoiler, but it's fine, because of similarity of the basic plot with other films. The presentation and the actors made all the difference here. The pre hype did not hold back the mid or the final acts, particularly for having such kind of characters in the lead. In fact, you will be surprised for how things going to turn out with merciless. And still you might feel it to carry on. The film opened with a failed jewellery shop robbery. Not entirely a failed attempt, only in the later parts much detail about it revealed. One of the members who went to prison returns after serving 7 years. But his girlfriend is in confusion over another man in her life. Now these two men come face to face and while the truth comes out for their real confrontation. Following, the men hunt begins with us giving out all the necessary explanation. Then it concludes by revealing who ends where and what are the tasks accomplished. "I've got nothing to lose now. And I'll do what it takes get you to tell me." Even the 90 minutes looks very long due to the slow narration. But its not a boring film, well, not for me. Mainly because of not wasting time proceeding in the unrequired direction. The initial developments looked like a bit drag, only because you won't get the film plot straight away. So the film takes its time, as well as give time you to hop in. Once the purpose of the story commence, the entire scenario changes. Especially in those crucial scenes where bloods are shed, and the film peaks. Because of those parts created with perfect atmosphere the film shines. Might not be morally, but entertainment wise, what the audience wants. I was not expecting much from the film. I went for it without any interest, not even know how it faired in the domestic market and the awards it got, but in the end, I found it a better film in its kind from the recent time. What it lacked was the emotional appeal. Of course the whole focus was on the dark side of the film characters, except a little romance in the beginning. If the due was given to the sentiments, I think it would have been even better and attracted many more viewers. The story was from one perspective. Not disclosing from the other side, except a brief visual to connect the events, is to avoid cliché. That was finely done job. Regarding the main characters, particularly the two men, you will see the changes like a flipped coin comparing them in the opening and the end. Overall a great first attempt for the director, paid off well after waiting for all these years to make it. The actors as well very impressive, I mean everybody, even the small roles. I think it better suits viewing for adults and matured teenagers. I don't know it is a remakeable product, but you should not miss this original. From runtime to performances, screen presentation and pace, it's in favour of those who are less patient in slow narration. Recommended! 7/10

• Apr 19, 2017

Goya award for best movie. Tense, cruel, raw, violent, it takes no prisoners.

Goya award for best movie. Tense, cruel, raw, violent, it takes no prisoners.

• Mar 12, 2017

Raul Arévalo, el protagonista de la ganadora del Goya el año pasado "La isla Mínima". Dirige esta, "Tarde para la ira" la ganadora de este año, y los Goya siguen demostrando su amor al Thriller y a su publico.

• Mar 03, 2017

Well etched-out characters make this Spanish road-revenge-thriller worth a watch. The screenplay doesn't follow the conventional revenge tropes, instead fleshes out a strong narrative (a.la 'I Saw The Devil' or 'Badlapur') backed by performances from de la Torre and Callejo.

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Feb 28, 2017

Maybe my memory is faulty, but I don't think I've seen a road trip murder movie. I really haven't. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a movie like that already employed this style of narrative, but I've just never seen it. Revenge films are tricky to pull off in that you have to skirt that line between exploitation and an actual story of a human being pushed so far to the edge that the only way they can let out their anger is to harm/kill those who made him/her wronged them (or killed one of their loved ones) in the first place. Oldboy is a perfect example of a revenge film where it focuses more on the characters and not necessarily on the psychopathic rage the protagonist felt toward the person who wronged him. And Oldboy being the way it was, the protagonist and the person who wronged him aren't always who you think they are. Which brings us to this movie, that has a more subdued style when it comes to telling its story. At least for the first 45 minutes. Jose is a very quiet man who starts to romance this woman at this local bar he goes to. What she does not know, however, is that his intentions are certainly not pure to say the least. This woman is the girlfriend of this man who was the getaway driver for this jewelry robbery gone wrong. One people ended up dead and the other person has been in a coma for 8 years. The getaway driver was the only one of the group who went to prison for the crime, as he didn't give his partners up. Jose wants to meet this man in order to know who actually killed his girlfriend and put his father in a coma in order to exact revenge on them. To get this man, Curro, to go along with his plan, Jose threatens his wife and his son, who was conceived as a result of a conjugal visit. Jose won't actually do anything, at least if his personality is any indication. But he needs Curro to go along with him and do what he wants. The story is fairly simple, but I think it's a strong story of a man holding on to his rage for EIGHT years in order to make those who killed his loved one and put his father in a coma pay. Jose even looks at the CCTV footage of the attack, where his fiancee has her face brutally beaten with a baseball bat. Jose is a man that has kept that image alive for eight long years, waiting until his chance finally came to exact revenge. And I think that's what gives the movie its strength. There's some fairly violent scenes. Well, two of them. And I already mentioned one of them, the other one will be fairly obvious. But the film is driven by Jose's motivations and the rage he feels, even though he doesn't actually show it. Antonio De La Torre gives an excellent performance here. He's a man who, obviously, was broken by this senseless act of violence and the story sees him at the point where he's just decided to say fuck it all, regardless of whether his actions lead to him getting caught or not. I honestly don't think Jose really cared much if his search for retribution led to him getting caught, he just wanted those responsible to pay for their crimes. While the movie certainly has its brutal scenes, I think it really shines in its quieter moments. The moments where you get to see the man that Jose used to be compared to the man that this botched jewelry store robbery made him into. I don't think it's a movie that a more conventional crowd, used to the Kill Bill type of vengeance flicks, will enjoy. It's definitely for the art house crowd. I definitely really enjoyed this movie. And it's even more impressive when you take into consideration that this is Raul Arevalo's first movie. There's a confidence and a patience to craft a well-rounded story with strong characters that take other filmmakers years to master. The sky is the limit for this guy. It's not gonna be for everybody, but I really liked this movie. Strong narrative coupled with excellent performances make this a movie that I would recommend. Just know that this is a more patient and methodical movie, it's not gonna rush into anything. Very good movie here.

• Jan 12, 2017

Slow-paced, the reveals aren't very shocking, the characters have no real depth and not enough action to be entertaining.