The Gal Who Took the West Reviews

• Oct 10, 2018

I actually really enjoyed this movie, the story was interesting enough to keep me watching as it unfolded in four parts and with each part being someone else's take. Yvonne De Carlo always had great presence on screen and her performance here was great, although in my own opinion she struggled a little with the operatic part of one song her voice was fantastic for the more upbeat songs. A nice twist at the end and an afternoon well spent for me.

• Sep 15, 2017

A very intriguing movie. It's sort of what happened when someone took Ryonosuke Akutagawa's 'In a Grove' and made it into a lighthearted comedy. The story, like 'In a Grove', is told from four different perspectives, only three of them are unreliable. An opera singer arrives in town, and each of the three men telling the story has a different interpretation of her. One man claims her to be weak and fragile, having fainted into another man's arms, another claims that she was drunk and had a hangover, and a third claims that she was pretending to faint, and she was a fraud posing as an opera singer. And that's only the start of the conflicting stories. It's not like any other Western movie I've seen. The plot is a bit convoluted but give it a watch!

• Bruce B Super Reviewer
    Oct 08, 2011

The Gal Who Took the West I watched this film on Netflix Streaming, a hard copy on DVD, doesn't seem to be on the US market. That's a shame because its not a bad film. I watched this film because it came off a list of Universal International Pictures, I started watching in 1949 time frame. A number of these movies put out by Universal International Pictures are no longer available and that to is a shame. There are many kinds of westerns, Spaghetti Westerns, Cowboy and Indian westerns, Good guy bad guy westerns, and old time serial type westerns, this movie doesn't fit any of those categories. This is listed as a western comedy and I guess it did have a funny part or two, but its just a good story, A opera singer comes into town, she is not your typical opera singer by no mean, not big boned, fat or big busted, no this women is beautiful, and two brothers who can't stand each other start a quarrel over her. Maybe should be a romantic western. 3 stars