The Gang's All Here - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Gang's All Here Reviews

July 19, 2015
Colorful WWII escapism directed by Busby Berkeley, perhaps his most surreal film musical;; Alice Faye sings "No Love, No Nothin," Carmen Miranda performs the ultimate camp production number, "The Lady in the Tutti-Frutti Hat."
rubystevens
January 27, 2014
completely surreal. busby berkeley in technicolor!
November 29, 2013
another winner from the musical master, busby berkeley this time for 20th/fox
½ September 15, 2013
It's the epitome of camp and fun all the way through! The story is pedestrian but the Busby Berekeley numbers and solid star performances make this movie a pleasurable experience that will leave you smiling at the end.
½ June 17, 2013
"The Gang's All Here" is just pure entertainment in the old-school musical style (before Oklahoma!). There's essentially no plot, and what story there is, is full of plot-holes. It's propaganda dressed up in a musical. Don't get negative about this; music and dancing predominate and, of course, the cause is good. Made during WWII it almost subliminally reinforces home front practices during wartime, such as buying war bonds, and staying true to your man in uniform. A lot of this is probably lost to most viewers fifty years later. But think about it, and remember that when this movie was made, the Allied victory was not a sure thing.

And what about the music and dancing? Carmen Miranda in her tutti-frutti hat. Benny Goodman's swing band. Alice Faye. Busby Berkeley. If these people mean any thing to you, they are here in fine form.
May 23, 2013
Wait, Why Did He Lie to Her?

In 1943, it was basically impossible to have the hero of a contemporary movie not be in uniform. You could make period pieces, or you could have the male lead be older or in some other way ineligible for service, or you could have him be in some necessary field. And if he wasn't any of those, he was in the military. Heck, even a lot of the period pieces were about other militaries in other eras. Propaganda can be an amazing thing, after all, and the important thing for the studios was to seem patriotic. It also gives a fine excuse for a forced separation between the lovers, if you needed one. It heightens the drama. In fact, it's become one of the easiest ways to tell if the movie you're watching was made during World War II. Colour won't do it; this movie was in colour, but B&W was still commonplace. Look to see how many men are in uniform. Heck, in one of the [i]Thin Man[/i] movies, Little Nicky is in a uniform, because that was fashionable.

Andy Mason (James Ellison) is the son of a Wall Street bigshot, Andrew Mason, Sr. (Eugene Pallette). He and his father are at a swanky New York nightclub along with his father's associate, Peyton Potter (Edward Everett Horton). While they are there, singing sensation Dorita (Carmen Miranda) and various other showgirls get the men up and teach them how to dance "the Uncle Samba." Potter makes a fool of himself with Dorita, and Andy, who isn't dancing, spots Edie Allen (Alice Faye). He makes a bet that he can hook up with her and follows her to the Stagedoor Canteen. Which he can do, because he's a sergeant in the Army. He is persistent to the point of creepy, and she finally falls for him. Though of course it doesn't matter, because he leaves for the South Pacific the next day. She is about to hit it big, going from a mere chorus girl to a featured performer. But she still spends her time missing Andy.

Oh, who has lied to her and is calling himself Casey. (As in "at the Bat"; the man he made the bet with pointed out that even Mighty Casey struck out.) And the families have long assumed that he and Potter's daughter, Vivian (Sheila Ryan), will be getting married someday. Vivian still assumes it, though they don't seem to have really talked about it. That's how he can be picking up chorus girls while she still assumes that they're engaged. He doesn't exactly go out of his way to dissuade her of the notion, either, from what I can tell. I think he likes stringing her along, to be honest. I think he likes knowing that he's always got a rich, pretty woman wiling to let him take her places. And okay, I'm sure he eventually would have let her know that he was involved with Edie, but why did it take as long as it did? Why didn't he ever mention to Edie that there was a girl that his family expected him to marry? He didn't tell either girl about the other, and he expected it to just work out somehow.

Honestly, the film is riddled with unnecessary secrets so far as I'm concerned. I don't know why Andy didn't tell Edie who he was, either that first night or later. I mean, was he trying to prove that she wasn't a gold digger? Great! But eventually, wouldn't he have been sure enough to tell her? And what did he tell her about his family? It must have been something, right? And then there's Mrs. Potter (Charlotte Greenwood), who used to be a chorus girl herself. But she doesn't want anyone to know, because it would destroy her social standing. Vivian knows, but her father doesn't want anyone else to. Probably isn't happy with Vivian knowing. I don't even know about Andy's mother, because I don't think she puts in an appearance. For all I know, she's dead. And then when Dorita figures out that Andy and "Casey" are the same person, her instinct is to cover it up, because Gods forbid anyone in this movie tell someone else the truth about something important.

Yeah, and then there's the whole plot about how Mason and Potter are hosting a charity show with the performers at Edie and Dorita's nightclub (which, by the way, is Busby Berkeley Big onstage and doesn't look even a little like a real nightclub during the production numbers, especially the bizarre one with the bananas). At the Potters' country home, of course. Which probably has something to do with anything, but it does make the whole thing feel a bit like two movies grafted together, a persistent problem I've noticed over the years. It's as though a certain percentage of screenwriters get halfway through a script and can't figure out where their story is, so they start a new one. They don't throw out the old one, though; they stick the two together and some likely point and hope no one will notice. Of course, it might be argued that plot isn't really the point here, and that's not a bad argument. It's just a vehicle to string a bunch of musical numbers together, and they aren't even great musical numbers.
December 9, 2012
His only technicolor film. I saw a vibrant, beautiful 35MM print this weekend and was amazed at the use of color and entertaining story. I'd watch this again.
½ August 18, 2011
Wonderful musical! Showgirl Edie (Faye) is instantly wooed by an soldier (Ellison), and when he goes to war, she's heartbroken. When she's excited to find he's coming back, her happiness is soon dimmed when she finds out that he's already proposed to another woman. Determined to win his heart, Edie does her best to show who is better. Busby Berkeley directed this great movie in 1943, and it has proved to be one of my favorite Technicolor '40's musicals. The color sparkles even now, and every scene and shot is full of easily catchy songs. Even though the acting might not be Oscar worthy, the performances are fun, especially from Brazilian beauty Carmen Miranda makes the stupid song "The Lady with the Tutti-Fruity Hat" a lot more memorable. If Betty Grable had done it, it would be easily forgettable. Berkeley did a fantastic job with this movie, I was always entertained and never wanting to fast- forward to another part. "The Gang's All Here" is a memorable musical, and if you liked "Stormy Weather", you will love this.
July 25, 2011
This gets three stars purely for Busby Berkely's absolutely genius choreographing, other then that there isn't much to say. The thing I hated most was how shaky the camera was. I felt like I was going to toss my cookies with that camera work.
½ November 14, 2010
Pure Busby Berkeley with Tutti Frutti Carmen Miranda. A classic.
June 8, 2010
Carmen Miranda and Berkeley's dancers and their routines are awesome, but the story and the other characters are borring.
½ January 11, 2010
One of my favorite Alice Faye films, as well as Favorite Carmen Miranda films. The supporting cast is wonderful, in particular Eugene Pallette, Charlotte Greenwood and Edward Everett Horton. Great score and songs, colorful musical numbers and very entertaining. Beautifully done.
½ January 11, 2010
½ January 1, 2010
Classics like this never fade, they remain timeless...unforgettable.
½ October 23, 2009
incredibly psychedelic and incredible film.
½ May 17, 2009
The singing disembodied heads and Busby Berkeley direction/choreography make this film a keeper. :)
February 11, 2009
Maybe I did watch this film, or maybe I was having a psychotic episode. I'm really not sure. Worth watching for Carmen Miranda singing "The Lady In The Tutti Frutti Hat" while surrounded by swimsuit models waving giant bananas about.
December 30, 2008
Decent comedy musical with Alice Faye and Carmen Miranda. Miranda's surprisingly tolerable here, visually inventive and some of the numbers were incredibly surreal. Great use of colors, Benny Goodman gets to do his thing here. Not enough Alice Faye by far, only a few numbers and they repeat- what you do see of her she's terrific. Recommended.
½ October 1, 2008
Entertaining, but horribly dropped the plot all together at the end with a very strange song and dance ending.
½ September 18, 2008
Carmen Miranda singing "The Lady in the Tutti-Frutti Hat" ... Benny Goodman singing (!) "Paducah" with Carmen ... Busby Berkeley dances ... if this picture were any bigger it wouldn't fit in Carmen's hat.