The Garden Reviews

• Sep 25, 2012

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I think Lance Henriksen is enjoyable to watch in any role. He just seems incapable of turning in a bad performance. The movie on the other hand... It's a decent apocalypse-coming thriller with a slightly different take on the Garden of Eden mythos, but really only so-so. As another review read "pretty tame and unimpressive". With the exception of LH, that pretty much sums it up.

• Apr 25, 2012

I usually like Lance Henriksen but this jumbled mess of a film should never be seen by anyone.

• Apr 09, 2012

A pretty tame and unimpressive movie. Lance Henriksen's performance was the best part of the Garden, and it's nice to see him in a lead role.

• Feb 21, 2012

"...and a child will lead them." You know, there was a time when Lance Henriksen was a GOOD guy. I'm tired of stereotyping him as the bad/insane/evil/Devil guy. Surprisingly good movie, well-shot, simple story. Not really a horror. Loved the burning sword effect. Produced by Stephen J. Cannell. Adam Taylor Gordon is a great child actor and Lance was good as always. The only problems I had with the film was the horse beating scene & Sean Youngs ghoulish makeup.

• Jun 30, 2011

A terrible piece of Christian tripe. The viewer sees a school with a mandatory bible course, the positive side of the apocalypse and an impressionable child being told the "god is the first cause" argument, all in 90 minutes! It strikes me as something a church would show its sheep on Halloween. However, all the propaganda could be forgiven if the movie wasn't so poorly executed on all fronts. Sub-par writing, directing and acting with absolutely no scares.

• Jan 27, 2011

Really didn?t care for it. Basically The Garden is that of The garden of Eden. Its sort of suspenseful but I figured it out in the first half hour and lost interest. D-

• Deb S Super Reviewer
    Sep 26, 2010

The film tells the story of a psychologically troubled pre-teen boy named Sam (brilliantly played by Adam Taylor Gordon) who is having trouble dealing with his parents' divorce, and as a result he has violent and vivid dreams that makes him self mutilate himself. After his father David (Brian Wimmer) checks him out from a mental hospital the two get into a nasty car accident on their way home and wakes up on an isolated farm owned by a mysterious old man, Ben Zackery (LANCE HENRIKSEN). He offers David a job until they wrap up some business back home. The problem is that Ben Zachary isn't who he says he is. Instead of being a benevolent farmer, he is really the Devil incarnate. On his property is the Tree of Life from the Garden of Eden, the place where our whole existence began according to the Holy Bible. In order to overturn God's world, Zachary is trying to find a willing human to eat from the tree and has sinister plans for the both of them involving witchcraft and evil. There is a fair share of gore and violence including the creepy bathroom scenes and Zackery sewing his victims mouth shut while Sean Young pops up as the bible schoolteacher Miss Chapman whom Sam befriends.

• Aug 12, 2010

(***): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img] I liked this direct to DVD horror film. Better than expected and Henriksen is great at being Henriksen!

• May 11, 2010

Bit superficial storywise and in character development, but not bad at all.

Bit superficial storywise and in character development, but not bad at all.

• Jan 29, 2010