Hemingway's Garden of Eden Reviews

• Sep 12, 2015

hmmm another lost review-don't know why I bother

hmmm another lost review-don't know why I bother

• Feb 24, 2013

An intriguing Hemingway adaption.

An intriguing Hemingway adaption.

• Jim H Super Reviewer
    Oct 02, 2012

A writer and his wife take up with an Italian woman, and the three form an odd love triangle filled with lust and temptation. Garden of Eden confuses me. I haven't read the novel, but after the film, I want to. From what I can tell from the film, it seems like a first draft -- ideas that Papa plays with but hasn't developed into real characters yet. As Catherine transforms herself and her husband into carbon copies and as Catherine expresses her sexual obsession with Marita, it seems like Hemingway is exploring the slippery nature of sexuality -- how one can experiment with one's sexual identity. But what Hemingway specifically says about this concept remains unclear. It's doubtless that the story David writes -- told in flashbacks starring Matthew Modine -- is a mess. It's Hemingway's fantasies about manhood expressed through hunting and domination over nature. But this story has little to do with the frame story and doesn't give us any significant insight into David's character. Overall, I wonder if the novel is this incomplete because although the film has the beginnings of some interesting additions to Hem's oeuvre, it ultimately doesn't amount to much.

• Jun 30, 2012

convoluted story line.

convoluted story line.

• Feb 12, 2012

I just dont get it I'm afraid.

I just dont get it I'm afraid.

• Feb 06, 2012

This movie was hard to relate to as life is nothing like this anymore. The cast was good, but overall the story was lacking.

• Dec 20, 2011

Ernest Hemingway's novel 'Garden of Eden' was published posthumously (25 years or so after the author's death) and after the film adaptation was made it set on a shelf for a few years before somebody found a worthy-enough reason to release it (I don't know what that worthy reason would be as the film is frightfully awful and I can find nothing redeeming with it whatsoever). The film's title lets the audience in on the secret that it is BEYOND bad as its director, John Irvin (Widow's Peak, Hamburger Hill), tried to salvage the wreck and give it some prestige by emblazoning poor Ernest's last name before the title of this trashy piece of junk. David Bourne (Jack Huston - Outlander, Factory Girl, 'Shrooms) is a young, American writer living in Paris who hasn't found much success with his pen when he meets his future wife Catherine (Mena Suvari - American Beauty, American Pie, Domino) -- a wealthy, restless, adventuresome, domineering troublemaker whom is EXTREMELY un-likable (three minutes into the film I hated her ... how Mr. Bourne pursues her and than marries her is beyond comprehension). She pouts and whines and cries and bullies and invents bedroom role-playing scenarios that are disturbing to say th least. On an extended honeymoon in Spain, the pair inhabit a rather isolated cottage complete with a few supporting characters (oh -- "the help") that allow Catherine to manipulate and test her husband's devotion. Thirty-minutes into the film you realize you can care less about ALL of it ... and I just waited for it to be over. The movie has a very B-movie feel to it and parts of it play-out like cheap skinemax erotica-wannabe. To avoid even harsher criticism, I'll simply conclude with "there is nothing good here" -- that way one can this out to be as bad as he/she wishes.

• Dec 17, 2011

Very very deep. Perfect exploration of crushes of human spirits. Even sex scenes inside speaks! Amazing masterpiece!

• Nov 06, 2011

interesting period piece about a hemingway book i was not at all familiar with kinda semi-auto biographical (like all his stuff)

• Oct 28, 2011

Amazing set decoration and wardrobe. Epic-ally gorgeous locations. Terrible adaption of a Hemmingway story. The editing felt off, the direction lacking. Was not a fan of Mena's performance at all. Jack Huston even felt bland. I'm a fantastic fan of the ex-pat culture and this film put me there, but left me disappointed.