The George McKenna Story Reviews

• Jun 23, 2019

Ultimately what seems hopeless is not. Who could have foreseen the dangers in our schools today.

• Oct 10, 2016

Great film seen it back in high school and still think it's a good movie

Great film seen it back in high school and still think it's a good movie

• May 09, 2016

A generic "tough principal turns around a failing and tumultuous high school" movie shows us an early glimpse of the great Denzel Washington.

• Sep 06, 2014

Amazing film!! It was engaging and intense!! The film showed how one man will do anything to make a situation better!! The scenes about making everything better was engaging!! This was Denzel Washington's last TV movie and he did not disappoint!! He was terrific as the main protagonist!!

• Jul 05, 2014

Are you afraid of our children? George McKenna is a first time principle that has been assigned to George Washington high school in the Los Angeles ghetto. The students are out of control, the teachers are below par, and the inmates run the asylum. McKenna comes in with his ideals but quickly learns change takes patience and he needs to impact one student at a time until they all buy in. "What you have is a damn fine son!!!" Eric Laneuville, director of The Client List, Naughty or Nice, LA Confidential, Bad Girls, Secret Whiteness, The Knife and Gun Club, and Bad Girls, delivers Hard Lessons. The storyline for this picture is fairly straightforward and on par with most films in this genre (Lean on Me). The acting is pretty good and the cast includes Denzel Washington, Lynn Whitfield, Earl Billings, Akosua Busia, and Gregg Dandridge. "I can't read." "We can change that." "I don't want to." We actually had a visitor over I knew was a huge Denzel Washington fan so I had this on for her when she came over. We watched it and found it fairly predictable and straightforward. It was fun watching Denzel try to prove he could be the lead character in a film (this was one of his first ever lead performances). I would say this was about average and as you'd expect from the genre. I wouldn't go out of my way to see this but Denzel was solid in this film. "What's your problem, they're not following fast enough?" Grade: C+

• Apr 05, 2014

Denzel Washington's committed and pitch perfect performance makes this essential viewing.

• Aug 07, 2013

I'm sure this movie was better in 1986 but its very dated.

I'm sure this movie was better in 1986 but its very dated.

• Nov 12, 2012

Classic dope movie bout the struggle moving powerful but light clean and clear

Classic dope movie bout the struggle moving powerful but light clean and clear

• May 28, 2012

Great Movie..Shows it can be done with faith.hard work, and character...

Great Movie..Shows it can be done with faith.hard work, and character...

• May 27, 2012