The Ghastly Love of Johnny X Reviews

• Aug 02, 2014

I love it when independent filmmakers do something beyond quirky comedies, dramas, or horror...when someone works for 10 years to make a 50s sci-fi B-movie inspired musical about alien juvenile delinquents who come to earth with a resurrection suit that spurts electricity and brings the dead back to life...hell I'm in. The movie isn't perfect, it has some flaws in it's execution, but it can be fun and it very different then most anything out there, from either Hollywood or Independent filmmakers.

• Jun 18, 2014

The film is really fun and looks amazing! Great performances, especially from De Anna Joy Brooks.

• Dec 21, 2013

This is a great 1950s B-Movie homage/parody. The plot holes are absolutely intentional, as is the sometimes goofy, cliche ridden dialogue. The musical bits are Grease meets Rocky Horror show tunes, not intended to be authentic to the mid century period this picture is (may be?) set in. The visual quality is warm and striking (shot on actual film) and the winks and tongue in cheek nudges are endearing. A great, fun, '50s/60s/'70s B-Movie mash up that fans of John Waters, Ed Wood, Screamin' Lord Sutch,The Cramps and Roger Corman should love. I know that I do!

• Greg S Super Reviewer
    Oct 29, 2013

Alien juvenile delinquents are exiled to earth, where they scheme to control a "resurrection suit" that can bring a recently deceased rock and roll star back from the dead. In black and white with musical numbers. The hepcat influences here are so cool you root for the movie to work, but the incoherent script, flat musical numbers and lame attempts at comedy lead to nowheresville. Still, there are a few campy kicks along the way, including "The Office"'s Creed Bratton as an unlikely rock idol.

• Sep 25, 2013

The hook for The Ghastly Love of Johnny X lies in its similarities or attempted similarities with the sci-fi horrror bizarre vision of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. However, lacking in sexual charge and being way more campy than rebelliously unique, Bunnell's film ends up feeling more like a mild John Waters production, full of style but of little relevance, substance or originality. Eventually, this films ends up being tiring in its shallow ways instead of exciting and fun.

• Jun 24, 2013

Overall, the film is a mixed bag. As is so often the case with movies like this, it's too much style, not enough substance, weakened by an uneven and unfocused script. However, I tip my hat to Paul Bunnell and all involved for persevering through ten years of setbacks to finish the film. Given that circumstance, it's amazing the movie is as good as it is.Thus, I have to count myself a fan of the movie, and eagerly await Bunnell's next effort, "Rocket Girl."

• May 30, 2013

• Apr 14, 2013

Strange, wacky & fun. Well worth seeking out . 80's horror fans will be pleased to see Reggie Bannister of Phantasm fame. It also features Invasion of The Body Snatcher's Kevin McCarthy in his final role.

• vieras e Super Reviewer
    Mar 18, 2013

A 50's B-movie made in the 2010's. It had its moments, but all in all I was a bit disappointed.

• Jan 11, 2013

Horrible mish- mosh of uncoordinated styles of retro low budget films that never mattered. This bizarre director had the notion to contrive a flamboyant out of the closet teenage alien and place him on Earth with his degenerate cohorts to prance around and cause a ruckus. That's exactly what I got out of it !! I suggest possible employment in a dvd warehouse, a distillery or on an assembly line. Any blue collar work is more suited proper than behind a film camera. I only hope he can pay off his wive$ credit cards for the terrible error in judgement that has been made here!