The Giant Mechanical Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Giant Mechanical Man Reviews

½ April 16, 2016
Didn't expect much, but this was quite a sweet little movie.
I have the Australian rental copy which is renamed "Love is in the air" and has a big picture of a smiling Makin Ackerman on the cover, so I was expecting something very light and fluffy.
Actually, Jenna Fischer is the main actress and Malin has a smaller role as her younger, but more stable sister. Jenna plays a young woman who has lost her job, then her flat and has to move in with her sister who is hellbent on matchmaking her with an absolute douche author who runs seminars on how to talk to people. Honesty I did not recognize Topher Grace in his wig. I couldn't stand the character, but full points as I think that was the idea!
Along the way she meets a similarly lost man who does street art as a mechanical giant and the two connect.
The movie is nicely done and a little deeper than I expected. Yes, it gets a little far fetched at the end, but it's sweet. Definitely sat through worse.
January 22, 2016
Really solid rom-com with good performances from Messina and Fisher.
October 1, 2015
The characters were quite convincing... I heard myself wince whenever Fischer was set up on a date with Grace... Truly, ofttimes we don't have all of life's answers and love cannot be forced.
October 1, 2015
An offbeat romcom of sorts that fleshes out the desolation and isolation of an ordinary salaryman(& woman)'s life in NYC. And how they find freedom, in a zoo enclosure. The leads did a decent job, but the supporting cast was a tad too irritating to ignore.
September 8, 2015
Acceptable but unsurprising.
½ August 31, 2015
One of the oddest romantic comedies I've seen, but that doesn't stop it from being greatt. I found myself impressed by the amount of heart and familiar faces.
July 27, 2015
So I figured I would give this movie a shot hoping for a pleasant surprise because I do like the 2 leads. While they do have chemistry and the first half of the movie is predictable and pretty standard rom-com it still is pleasant to watch. Then the second half comes and it gets far too predictable and textbook how the story plays out. That is where it lost me and become a poor movie.
June 21, 2015
I wish I could give it 0 stars. It was incredibly boring, very unrealistic, and poorly acted by everyone but the main characters. Don't waste your time on this film.
½ May 25, 2015
Strange is the best word to describe it. Begins with promise, but slowly fizzles out revealing to many quips to overcome. The story is so flat along with the characters. Also, the performances begin fine, but really start to ware on the nerves. Sadly the movie fell flat & really missed developing the story leaving a very unfleshed narrative with poorly written characters.
½ April 29, 2015
fun cast, sweet story. Felt a bit more like a play script rather than a movie. The sweet story and moderately interesting characters are spoiled a bit by a heavy hand on metaphors and scenes that insist on being Meaningful and Important, as well as fast resolutions to conflicts; ie, the protagonist says "I want a new job" and the manager says "funnily enough, we have this perfect spot open for you."

Great performance by Chris Messina in particular, icky performance by Topher Grace + WIG. Jenna Fischer was adorable, wish she'd had a more interesting character to work from.
February 21, 2015
Director/writer Lee Kirk needed to pick up the pace on this but it's well meant and poignant. The two leads--Jenna Fischer and Chris Messina--are well cast.
½ February 17, 2015
If the title didn't make you roll your eyes, the premise of the movie itself should. It's one of those ideas that's good in theory, but is easily drowned out with disgusting amounts of tropes and cliches if the directors aren't careful. I laughed. One and a half stars because I laughed. A lot.
½ February 10, 2015
Yeah I'm a crazy romantic but, this movie hit me at my core.
December 12, 2014
Chris Messina steals the show as a living statue street performer with a heart of gold. Great watch for anyone with a love of indie rom coms (as much as I hate to describe them as such).
November 24, 2014
This movie melted me like none other. Loved it
½ September 15, 2014
Quirky and romantic but predictable and boring in parts
August 24, 2014
The Giant Mechanical Man is an extremely charming movie. The acting in the film is great and you really can relate to both of the characters, no matter what your sex is.
August 24, 2014
cute script. nice direction. lovely acting. excellent robot dancing skills. loses one star for lack of chris messina nudity.
½ August 4, 2014
I can say that this movie is one of the most re-watchable movie I've seen.