The Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Girl Reviews

½ January 23, 2016
a good enough role with enough dramatic weight for Abbie Cornish
the film also deals with illegal immigrants coming into the US from Mexico and Ashley is caught in the middle of the epidemic learning that her father smuggles in people across the border
in order to keep her son from being taken away she decides to transport a few of her own, unfortunately she's only left with a little Mexican girl whom has lost her mother
the girl has Ashley realize that she really needs to start being a good enough mother to her own child and you can feel that wonderful bond that unexpectedly grows between them
even the citizens of Mexico have it rough as well as in America that many don't realize
a heavy enough film
½ June 22, 2015
In "The Girl," Ashley(Abbie Cornish) has problems that extend just beyond her low paying job. Namely her DUI conviction that resulted in her son being put into foster care. So, she welcomes the opportunity to bond with her father(Will Patton) at his home in Mexico. After finding out what he does for money, namely smuggling people across the border in his truck, she gets some ideas of her own...

Abbie Cornish deserves better than this. In the past she has shown much more promise and talent than here with "The Girl" where her character is mostly defined by a wonky Texas accent.(Will Patton is great, by the way.) At the same time, that's one of this sentimental and mawkish movie's lesser flaws, where the central point seems to be to prove that Ashley is really not such a terrible person after all. This is in a world where migrants have bigger problems than clueless white people.
½ January 20, 2014
In all aspects, The Girl can't help it-this is headline-torn cinema du tearjerking at its most generic.
December 17, 2013
I really liked this movie. If you are looking for an action-packed thriller, look somewhere else, though. This is a slower paced film about a flawed woman trying to correct her actions. The movie contrasts the sensibility and strength of a young Mexican girl, with the selfishness of the American woman. The very poor Mexican family lives with dignity, while she lives in squalor. This was a good, heartfelt film. Abbie Cornish turned in a lovely performance as always, and the little girl in this was adorable.
December 9, 2013
On Netflix (streamable) Nonpolitical, non-hollywood film about a potentially real situation. Instead of justifying social circumstances, the protagonist is brought on a journey from self-centered victimization to maternal maturity.
Cornish's attempt at a Texas drawl was unconvincing, but her spanish was strangely good.
½ October 13, 2013
A solid piece of social realism. Abbie Cornish needs her big mainstream break as she continues to shine in these little indie marvels. On a side note, she looks really good in denim!
September 2, 2013
I found this thoughtful and moving. The young girl was superb, as was Abbie Cornish. The writer/director may not have known how to end the film, but the ending was inevitable, and the scenes in the small town in Mexico were beautifully filmed. This film is better than ihe tepid reception. Cornish learned colloquial Spanish for this movie and does well.
August 30, 2013
Told within the milieu of immigration, David Riker's "The Girl" centres on a troubled, young Texan mother trying to regain custody of her son. The film's elegant simplicity is made stirring by Abbie Cornish's ("Bright Star," "Stop-Loss") soulful performance. Her quiet resolve and nonverbal expression of her character's anguish and earnestness captivates as she discovers her capacity for love and forbearance.
August 19, 2013
This is not a movie that interests me.
July 25, 2013
Abbie Cornish delivered one of her best performances and was very good throughout the whole movie. However, I was expecting the story to be less simple and to take more chances with the immigration plot and its repercussions. Because it never got to an extremity where it would made the plot more intriguing and real. It played it safe on that matter, but on the other side I liked how it helped her at the end to become a better person and mother. Overall, it has a very simple story and slow, but deep in there is a very cute story that sometimes is shown but not as much as it had to.
~July 24, 2013~
July 7, 2013
This is one of the best films I have seen in a while.
½ July 5, 2013
REVIEW:This was a very good film. The story was a moving & thought provincing film. The perforamces from the cast were amazing & believable. See This Film. This film is out on DVD & Blu-ray.
June 28, 2013
Un Frozen River sudiste qui tire parfois un peu en longueur, mais qui se revele assez juste dans ses situations et surtout parvient a delivrer la charge emotionnelle attendue dans sa conclusion expiatoire. Une opportunite pour Abbie Cornish de demontrer sa solidite d'actrice puisqu'elle porte le film sur ses epaules.
½ April 11, 2013
Thought it was good but had potential to be great
March 26, 2013
Abbie Cornish is an amazing actress and she delivers a great performance in this movie. But overall "The Girl" suffers from an identity crises: is it a thriller, a drama, a semi-documentary about illegal immigrants... a lot of questions are raised but we leave the theater without the answers and a felling that we paid to see a Lifetime movie on the big screen.
March 26, 2013
Todavia existen muchos prejuicios de parte de la comunidad norteamericana hacia los inmigrantes latinos y la cultura mexicana pero "The Girl" es el tipo de película que podría romper con esos paradigmas. Es una hermosa historia que se enfoca en el vinculo entre una mujer Texana (interpretada por Abbie Cornish) y una niña de Oaxaca quien ha perdido a su madre al tratar de cruzar la frontera. Las actuacion de Cornish es excelente y la cinta se torna sumamente emotiva durante sus ultimas escenas.
"The Girl" es una modesta pero poderosa película que merece ser vista por todos. Es un drama que conmueve sin manipular. Sin duda es una de las películas mas honestas de lo que va del año.
March 22, 2013
Probably would go - see ad in Az Rep but it's not on AMC website and I called the theatre number in the ad and they can't tell me (automated system) what time it plays tomorrow...wonder why AMC doesn't figure out how to communicate with their customers. Harkins could show 'em how...last year or so, I got a flyer in the mail inviting me to an AMC theatre when they were starting to serve food and drinks during the movie...same communication problem then: couldn't get thru to them and the website was no help. If I can't find out what movie will be playing, you can bet, I won't show up for it!
March 16, 2013
Slow. Unlikeable characters. Boring.