The Girl From Missouri (100 Per Cent Pure) (Born to Be Kissed) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Girl From Missouri (100 Per Cent Pure) (Born to Be Kissed) Reviews

August 15, 2016
After seeing this, my third film from the 7-DVD 'Jean Harlow 100th Anniversary Collection' from Warner Archives, I'm very tempted to say, without exaggerating, that perhaps she was the first 'modern' actress (though Barbara Stanwyck and Joan Crawford would also be in the running). Her speech was very fast by that era's standard, she displayed a huge range of emotion, was incredibly sexy and was great at both comedy and drama.

This was great, as she's a chorus girl from a poor family in the Midwest who wants to marry a millionaire but the right way, and without sacrificing her values in the process. At first she's not taken seriously, as she meets a wealthy banker (finely played by Lionel Barrymore) who knows what it's like to be on the poor side of the tracks, and enters his social circle. Then his playboy son (a very good performance by Franchot Tone, whom I liked best in 'Mutiny on the Bounty', his only Oscar-nominated work) takes a shine to her, unsure if she's the real thing or just another floozy.

Heartily recommended. Not a great script, but it's lifted with Harlow's personality, jolly comedic relief by Patsy Kelly and a solid supporting cast, decently directed. For single-handedly saving Warner Brothers from bankruptcy just the previous year, she deserved better but this wasn't a bad showcase at all for her considerable talents.
August 15, 2016

½ November 30, 2014
Jean Harlow sizzles in this excellent little comedy. With her platinum hair & gorgeous accouterments, she is a dazzler. But her beauty should not obscure the fact that she was also a very good actress. She has rightfully earned her spot at the very top of the Hollywood pantheon... Gentlemen Prefer Platinum Blondes--HARLOW - Born to be Sassy - Comes out Classy... Good performances from all as Harlow seeks rich husband!!
½ July 24, 2012
You could make me cheap and common like a million others but I wish you wouldn't.

Eadie is a singer from a small town in Missouri that does not want to follow in her mother's footsteps and finish her days working in bars with no future. She runs off to the city with her best friend, Kitty, in hopes of finding a millionaire and marrying him. She has no concern for love but while trying to execute her plan she may find it anyway.

"Will you try for once to be a lady?"
"If they wanted a lady they'd be home with their wives."

Jack Conway, director of Honky Tonk, Cross Roads, Boom Town, A Tale of Two Cities, The Charmer, Saratoga, and Viva Villa, delivers The Girl from Missouri. The storyline for this picture is fairly straightforward with a couple interesting twists. The script is very good and the acting was better than I anticipated. The cast includes Lionel Barrymore, Jean Harlow, and Franchot Tone.

"These blonds sure know where to dig up suckers."

We noticed this was airing at the American Film Institute (AFI) in honor of Jean Harlow and decided to give it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised by the witty lines, wonderful characters, and excellent pace of this film. This is definitely a worthwhile picture that is clever, interesting, and a nice blend of romance, comedy, and drama. I strongly recommend seeing this picture.

"Love is a bigger thing than money."

Grade: A
September 24, 2011
One of my all time fav black and white films. Lots of chemistry.
½ March 30, 2011
Harlow in a charming role as a "good girl" who wants to marry a rich man and won't accept "gifts" unless there is a proposal attached. Great support from Lionel Barrymore and Franchot Tone as millionaire father/son who Harlow gets her hooks into. Patsy Kelly as Harlow's friend has some funny moments always hitting on the "help" (Doormen, Life Guards and Butlers). Typical plot for the era and cleaned up by the Hays Code, the film still is very enjoyable and Harlow is a joy to watch.
½ March 30, 2011
Despite an all-star cast for it's time including Jean Harlow and Lionel Barrymore, this was fairly bland all the way around and neither of their best performances. The story of a show-girl (Harlow) who is on the hunt to marry a millionaire and change her life. She first goes after Barrymore and then meets his son who sets his cap on her as well. There is an ounce of enjoyment here, but over-all it is fair ...at best.
March 29, 2011
another frothy rom-com from harlow rewatch b3/28: awesome bad grrl gone good works here but still choppy in spots where censors wanted cut.
½ February 27, 2010
79/100. I have always felt this was a very underrated classic. Jean Harlow is at her wisecracking best. The cast is great and the dialogue is surprisingly racy. Patsy Kelly provides a lot of laughs in her delightful supporting performance. Great production, the costumes and art direction are superb. Fine score. It all adds up to a wonderfully entertaining movie.
November 6, 2005