The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest Reviews

½ December 2, 2016
This final chapter is not as infuriatingly incoherent as the previous one but is even less interesting, with very little tension and few surprises. Besides, it also lacks that chemistry between the two leads, who are once again barely seen together.
½ November 18, 2016
The third instalment of the Millenium trilogy, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest dives further back into Lisbeth Salander's past and gives us a slight idea into why she is the way that she is. As interesting as this could be it ultimately ends up being the story's major weakness. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a fantastic movie, mainly down to the mismatched leads, their chemistry and the intriguing demeanour of one of cinema's most fascinating characters, however by picking away Salander's layers we remove that mystery that ultimately made her so great. At the start of the movie she spends a lot of time in a hospital gown and it is only when she gets her 'superhero' moment (you know that one when you finally see Batman for the first time), dressed as the punk goth that we know, that you can breath a sigh of relief. The story is much slower than the previous ones and it does finally ramp in when the court case of Salander's murder accusations finally kicks in. There is still tension and frights but Salander as a character doesn't drive this film like she did before. When Blomkvist and Salander were investigating an outside case the narrative bubbles but when it shifts to closer to home the tone differs and is less appealing. The second and third instalments could be from a different trilogy apart from a couple of vital scenes. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest still has plenty to saviour. The fact it is still made on a shoestring budget despite the first film's success is remarkable and the performances are still on form however it only goes to highlight how much you will yearn to rewatch the first film again. Long-winded, slightly messy and unevenly concluded but worth a watch solely for Salander and Rapace's once again brilliant performance.
November 10, 2016
I was worried how the last two books could be translated to film, and unfortunately I was right in how drab they would be.
August 8, 2016
A little dull. I enjoyed the first one obviously.
July 2, 2016
The series ended with a bang.
½ March 16, 2016
The next, and last installment of the Millennium series has the same director, but with a completely different writer again which, in my opinion, is not a good thing to know. Seeing as this movie has mixed reviews, it really didn't give me high hopes for it, but The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is just as good and flawed as The Girl Who Played with Fire. The acting is solid, but I felt like there are moments here and there that seems like they are getting tired of this and just want the movie to be over. The writing is decent, but it gets better at the last 40 minutes of the film. The plot is not much different form the second movie except for the third act ending is a court movie which is the most interesting part of the film and is as interesting as the first movie. The chemistry between Noomi Rapace and Michael Nyqvist is just barely there as the previous movie, but this time, I'm all right with it because I knew what to expect of it given with the same director. The movie is mostly interesting except for the villains who are uninspiring and just dull and forgettable. It has some good thrills here and there, there's some clever moments from Lisbeth and Michel, and there's a good chase at the end. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is probably a bit of a disappointing conclusion as it could've been better, but I knew it was going to be disappointing going in, I just hoped that it was going to be entertaining however, which it was, and when David Fincher hopefully comes back to direct the sequels, I hope that they are going to be better than the second and this movie.
½ December 30, 2015
Enjoyed, but definitely need to see the first two first. It is very long and can drag a little, but Lisbeth in court makes it all worthwhile.
December 13, 2015
The Girl who kicked the Hornet's Nest is the least intriguing and awe-inspiring of the trilogy, however, it maintains an air of mystery. With this mystery, the film is still enjoyable and interesting, it simply does not quench the thirst the previous films created. Nyqvist and Rapace have amazing chemistry and create their characters with seemingly ease. And with the help of Alfredson, this film ties a trilogy together quite nicely.
December 12, 2015
Another decent addition to this more than decent trilogy as Lisbeth takes on her perverted advocate in court whilst facing up to 3 murder charges and of course the final showdown with the brick outhouse that is Nidemaar
December 6, 2015
The final part of the Millennium Trilogy is an odd beast, Lizbeth Salander is in prison and most of this is meetings and the courtroom.
Whilst it is the great unravelling of the corruption it seems somewhat unsatisfying.
But as a whole, the trilogy is tremendous.
December 3, 2015
Love this entire series!!!
September 19, 2015
It's been all jolly seeing the series coming to an end finally.
First, every piece of the puzzles has been solved.
Second, no more sloppy dragging to another episode.
I haven't read the book, so I am not quite sure if the film 100% followed the original.
However.
C'mon! What a huge turning off by ending the series by a bloody court-hearing scene!! A courtroom scene for !! For real?!!!
½ August 13, 2015
While slow at times, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is a satisfying conclusion to a great trilogy
½ August 1, 2015
Left me feeling remorseful both for the characters and the end of a great trilogy of films. Do yourself a favour and take in this series.
½ June 18, 2015
Completed the trilogy strong...
½ March 31, 2015
Incrível como essa história só caiu. Um filme de quase 3 horas, uma protagonista que tinha um potencial foda. Vira um pastiche de filmes de tribunais e histórias policiais. Acabou no lugar comum de muitos e muitos filmes do mesmo tipo.
Triste comparando com um primeiro filme espetacular.
Nem dá vontade de ler mais os livros.
February 17, 2015
Not A Gripping Or Deservingly Satisfying Ending. The Books Probably Do It More Justice As The Acting & Flavour Of Intrigue Has Been Lost .. By The End I Was Quite Bored & Disinterested In The Lead-Girls Plight.
½ January 29, 2015
It's satisfying to see all the pieces finally fall into place, but the finale doesn't have the teeth of either of its predecessors. Full review later.
January 1, 2015
đ?
Not only my favorite of the millennium trilogy, but one of my all-time favorites, Lizbeth wraps up her story with a buzzing (if not spectacular) punch.
½ December 14, 2014
With an uneven pace and missing the mystery of the first two movies and the sheer brilliance of the first one, the ending to the Millenium trilogy does manage to conclude Lisbeths story even if it does so in some very poor ways, mostly with the loose ends towards the end.