The Girl With All the Gifts Reviews

• Sep 29, 2019

A different and good Zombie movie.

A different and good Zombie movie.

• Sep 08, 2019

A delightful spin on an old genre. While not an action/zombie flick, if you approach this movie with a keen interest in morality and what is good and evil, I think you'll enjoy the premise. The young actress is quite engaging in this role, and as always, I think there is nothing Gemma Arterton can't do. Paddy is as great as ever and Glenn Close is as good too. I wasn't hoping for much when I read about this and decided to watch. It's a delightful surprise and shows that you don't need a ton of gore and blood to make a zombie movie. And the ending leaves you with a question: why should they die for us to live?

• Aug 26, 2019

jesus what a terrible movie

jesus what a terrible movie

• Aug 18, 2019

Nice new twist on the zombie genre

Nice new twist on the zombie genre

• Jun 22, 2019

I really liked aspects of this film - the originality, the casting, locale, twists - but I just couldn't get invested in any of these characters and that's really the heart of an apocalyptic movie.

• May 27, 2019

A 28 Days Later vibe but with it's own original and excellent story.

A 28 Days Later vibe but with it's own original and excellent story.

• May 05, 2019

In the near future, humanity has been ravaged by a mysterious fungal disease (a mutation of Ophiocordyceps unilateralis). The infected have turned into fast, mindless flesh-eaters, referred to as 'hungries'. Humankind's only hope is a small group of hybrid, second generation children who crave living flesh but retain the ability to think and learn. The children are imprisoned by a group of soldiers led by Sgt. Eddie Parks (Paddy Considine), and go to "school" at an army base in the Home Counties, where they are experimented on by Dr. Caroline Caldwell (Glenn Close). Helen Justineau (Gemma Arterton) is responsible for educating and studying the children. Among the children is an exceptional girl named Melanie (Sennia Nanua). Melanie is taken for experimentation by Caldwell when the base is overrun by hungries and the lab is breached, resulting in the infection of a nurse. Melanie escapes the lab and wanders outside, where soldiers are violently attacked in a failing, chaotic mass breach. Melanie is stunned by what she sees, but violently attacks and infects two soldiers who are trying to restrain Helen. Helen and Melanie jump aboard an escaping armoured van with Parks, Caldwell and a surviving soldier Kieran and they embark on a journey of survival... The Girl with All the Gifts received positive reviews from critics. Rotten Tomatoes critical consensus reads, "The Girl with All the Gifts grapples with thought-provoking questions without skimping on the scares â" and finds a few fresh wrinkles in the well-worn zombie horror genre along the way". Dave Robinson of Crash Landed described the film as a "tense and intriguing experience" noting that whilst its final act "goes a little off the reservation" the performance of lead Sennia Nanua will "make you both care [for her] and simultaneously feel on edge" along with the "smart choices" in the CGI department to create a "grounded feel" that offers clear similarities to 28 Days Later. "The Girl With All The Gifts" based on the book by M.R. Carey is a pretty solid zombie film that is fast-paced and has food for thought. I like the somewhat vague solid storyline initially that unravel something disturbing and horrifying during the running time. There´s originality, yet its clear the film has been inspired by films such as "28 Days Later" and "Children Of Men". We get a good ensemble cast with Arterton, Close and Considine. I did enjoy this film.

• Mar 29, 2019

Written by Mike (M.R.) Carey concurrently with his 2014 novel of the same name, The Girl with All the Gifts presents as a highlights version of its sister book. The film is well acted and comptently made, combining computer simulations of post-apocalyptic landscapes with physical sets, a moving camera, and practical horror effects for an overall realistic feel. However, the complexity of the plot and premise allows little time for a deep exploration of the central characters, resulting in a movie that is eerie and conceptually interesting but lacks the heart and poignancy of the novel.

• Jens S Super Reviewer
    Mar 13, 2019

Fresh take on the zombie genre with a new step in their evolution showing up. The premise is interesting and make for a wonderfully unpleasant and atmospheric beginning. The images of nature claiming back the cities are also great, players of "The Last of Us" will certainly appreciate those. Unfortunately there are some character developments in the last act that do not seem to fit to the earlier film. That doesn't ruin the ending but leaves you much less satisfied than the really good first half of the film.

• Mar 09, 2019

Never before have I resented a movie for wasting both a great idea and my time.

Never before have I resented a movie for wasting both a great idea and my time.