The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Reviews

July 7, 2010
This was the very first foreign film ive sat thru completely with subtitles. Usually I go for the dubbing. .but this . . everything was perfect. What a tight, twisting thriller. Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth and Michael Nyqvist as Mikael shined. I can think of anything bad to say about this. It was a 2 and half hour ride that didnt feel long at all.

A 40 year old murder is attempted to be solved by a disgraced journalist and steampunk hacker.
January 27, 2014
Good but not as intense and captivating as the American version.
½ September 5, 2010
This is an excellent movie. Good acting, great plot, suspenseful, and entertaining. Noomi Rapace is perfect in the role of a troubled, but extremely intelligent, hacker. Some violence and not for the kiddies, but well worth watching.
skactopus
July 30, 2012
Niels Arden Oplev's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a nice piece of work out of Sweden.With all the mystery that a crime thriller deserves, it's no surprise at how intriguing the film's story plays out. The plot does run for nearly 2 and a half hours, and it does take a while to get going, as there is a lot of setup that takes place in the film's first act. The pacing is also a tad slow at times, but it does compliment the story.The dark and mature theme play to the film's strength. It has its share of violence, although not necessarily gruesome, while the sexual material plays into Lisbeth Salander's buildup.Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace are solid. This is a positive, since this picture relies heavily on the both of them. The rest of the cast come and go as required.When all is said and done, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo definitely has its place as a recommendable crime thriller.
DragonEyeMorrison
April 7, 2010
A very well made thriller that knows how to balance an engaging story and well developed characters. The story is never shy about it's motivations, the entire anti-misogynyst theme is played strongly, but never becomes annoying or preaching. You can quickly tell all the stuff that will be cut in the upcoming hollywood remake. Some genre conventions do pop up here and there, as smart as the main character is the movie has to make him trust characters nobody in their right mind would trust, just so we can get a climatic rescue scene and one of those "evil guy" rants where we learn about their motivations and what not. Fear not, it doesn't break the movie at all.

The relation between Lisbeth and the reporter is certainly one of the high points of the film, it's truly a lesson on how to write convincing character relations. If there is any cinematic justice in this world Noomi Rapace has to become a big star with great roles in great movies.
garyX
½ April 4, 2010
An emotionally damaged young researcher helps a disgraced investigative journalist reopen the case of a series of murders that occurred 40 years ago. Having heard so much about this "international best seller" and the fact that David Fincher deemed it worthy of a remake meant that the idea of this film intrigued me, but despite its weighty reputation I felt seriously let down. Technically, TGWTDT is absolutely fine. The performances all solid, the pacing and direction well executed and the photography is attractive and stylish. Unfortunately all these good qualities are built on quicksand because the plot is, in a word, bollocks. It's exactly like one of those 90s detective TV shows (Inspector Morse sprang to mind). But worse. It involves a girl who is emotionally traumatised (you can tell because she has tattoos and piercings and is a bit gay, THE WEIRDO) who is graphically (and irrelevantly) raped and then manages to figure out that the murdered girls are all Jewish (something beyond the capabilities of the Swedish police force who are clearly an army of Inspector Clouseaus). The pair then brilliantly solve the crime using only a complete set of photos of the day of the crime luckily on display for all to see and identify the killer who handily only owns one jumper. The guy who instigated the investigation (who can't tell the difference between his close family members) is then shocked by the fact that the woman who has been sending him presents every year for the last 40 years is ALIVE!! Gasp! The score I'm giving this film is purely for the technical side of things because this crappy airport paperback plot just didn't deserve to be made in the first place. What a disappointment.
½ January 8, 2012
For those looking for massive explosions and a whole bunch of running around, this is not for you.

I watched the extended version, which is a whopping 180 minutes long, and I did not feel there was much that could have been left out. Even the seemingly pointless affair between Berger and Blomkvist ended up serving a purpose. Could they have done that better? Sure, but it's not like it was the worst plot device ever.
flixsterman
½ March 27, 2009
A bit over-hyped but still solidly entertaining.
January 11, 2012
The intrigue finalizes too earlier. The tense and grim atmosphere becomes lighter and accommodative. Besides that, it's a fun thriller with good performances and racy themes.
Directors Cat
½ December 17, 2011
The story is a bit raggedy and it could be described as a series of segments at times. But despite this and it having some extremely...let's say "unthoughtful" and difficult scenes. That I wouldn't say were necessary to any of it really. This movie is absolutely gripping from start to finish with incomphrehensibly breathtaking performances from the leads. It sucessfully created a dark, evil, grim mood and had the ability to be the rare thriller that can create tortureful suspense for 2 and a half hours. Just be careful because it isn't getting the reputation it deserves for being a bit too dark.
jamers2011
½ January 15, 2011
Excellent thriller! Another great film out of Sweden. Noomi Rapace is great as is Michael Nyqvist.
½ December 24, 2011
Great movie and the first of the trilogy. Clever, brilliantly acted and exciting. A true modern masterpiece in film making. Due to the quick dialogue at times, I do for once prefer the dubbed version of the movies compared to the subbed.
½ January 23, 2011
I saw this a while ago prior to all the hype. I'm glad this trilogy has made a name for itself; Niels Arden Oplev's "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" is a near-perfect adaption of Stieg Larsson's terrific novel. Noomi Rapace goes all-out for her superlative role as Lisbeth Salander, and Michael Nyqvist is just as superb.
paul o.
November 20, 2011
With its gritty story and the strong comittment of actor Noomi Rapace, the final cut is surrounded by elements of neo-noir and thriller cinema.
September 9, 2011
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is the film adaptation of the critically acclaimed Stieg Larsson work with the same title. Cold tale of engrossing mystery that delivers genuine chills and arresting performances. Initially conforming to the demands of a crime and mystery thriller, it eventually departs from the conventions defined by the genre with exuberant style.
½ August 18, 2011
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a gripping, tense, violent but extremely well made piece of work with powerhouse performances from Noomi Repace and Michael Nyqvist. It's length and violence may be too much for some viewers.
½ March 10, 2011
A thrilling opening chapter to a celebrated trilogy, concerning a punky computer hacker (Noomi Rapace) who works with a journalist under fire (Michael Nyqvist) to solve a 40-year old murder case. A completely enthralling, extremely entertaining film that has its fair share of action and fantastic character building scenes. Noomi Rapace's athletic, convincing performance is something out of this world, and it is a mystery to me as to why she was not nominated for her performance in this film - she is simply stunning. Definitely one of the better thrillers to come out in quite some time.
½ June 13, 2010
Swedish Cinema seems to have hit a new high note of late with the successful adaptations of "Let the Right One In" (as well as it's American remake "Let Me In") and now novelist Stieg Larsson's "Millenium Trilogy" (also remade in America). This is the first of the trilogy and proof that Sweden are delivering top quality material at the moment.
Journalist Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist) is hired by aged tycoon Henrik Vanger (Sven-Bertil Taube) to look into the 40 year-old disappearance of a favourite niece. Computer hacker Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace) checks out Mikael as a preliminary to his hiring, and is intrigued by the old mystery. The two investigators team up and find themselves pursuing several serial killers.
Former journalist turned novelist Stieg Larsson's books were released after his untimely death, to remarkable success. Due to such success, they were always likely to be adapted into films. Well, here is the first and it's a very faithful adaptation. A tightly structured and gripping whodunnit that takes it's time in revealing the pieces to it's elaborate puzzle. This film is in no rush and plays out in a way that respects the audience's intelligence and patience.
Mikael Blomkvist is an endearing character, the moral male to Lisbeth Salander's feral female. Both genders acting against type in Stieg Larsson's misogynist world and both Michael Nyqvist and especially, Noomi Rapace are excellent in their roles. Rapace getting the part of a lifetime as one of the best heroine's to hit our screens for a very long time. She takes no shit and turns the tables on the depraved men of society, who have nothing more on their minds than abuse and rape. Misogyny is a strong theme throughout. Even reflected in the original title of the film 'Man Som Hatar Kvinnor', which literally translates as "Men Who hate Women". It's a very dark and graphic film that has an escalating sense of foreboding from the get go. The only gripe I have is that, being a major part of the story, the Vanger family are a little on the underdeveloped side. It can often be confusing as to who is who and when the big reveal is made, it doesn't quite have the surprise or impact it should. However, this is a minor fault in an otherwise taut and well structured thriller.
Murder mysteries don't come much better than this. Thoroughly rewarding stuff.
½ June 11, 2011
Although Noomi Rapace's performance was impressive, i was not convinced the film was as strong a piece of work as the novel. Character development seemed to fall to the wayside for the most part, but the lighting and cinematography gave off a great mood that exemplified the book well. I couldn't help but think the American version is going to be much more entertaining. Fincher is going to take full advantage of what he has to work with and create an unforgettable film.
cosmo313
November 29, 2010
I'm a little torn with the star rating. not sure whether to give it a 4 or a 41/2, Let's just use the letter garade and give it a high B+/low A-.

I had heard so much about this film, its sequels, and the books they are based on. I was lead to believe that this was an unparalled masterpeice or something. Now that I've seen it, I'm a little disappointed. It's not quite an excellent masterpiece, but it is a very solid and compelling thriller...but also a little underwhelming one.

The main story, a cold case/whodunnit is the main focus of things, and it is really the least interesting or compelling part of the story. It feels like a super long and more graphic version of one of the many cop drama shows on TV. That's not a bad thing, but it is a bit of an issue when it is supposed to be the main storyline.

The film is much better when it focuses on the characters, mainly Mikael Blomkvist and Lisbeth Salander (the titular girl with the dragon tattoo...and what an amazing tattoo it is). Especially Salander, she's one of the coolest and most interesting characters of recent years. It's just a shame that she feels a little cold, distant, and undercooked. Maybe that's the point, or maybe the book just developed her better, who knows.

Like I said, the whodunnit isn't as compelling as it should be, but some of the details of the case are pretty cool. It bugged me that the case sort of feels of no consequence, or isn't as weighty and urgent as it should be, but I have a hard time docking the film too many points, because the film has great style, a good look, and some good characters (fleshed out by some great acting).

The film is a little long, and a little slow at first, but once it gets going, it is a pretty good ride, despite all the flaws I've previously mentioned. I expected a lot from it, and, while I was a little let down, here's to hoping the sequels (and David Fincher's American remake) can give the story and characters the true justice they deserve.