The Giving Tree Reviews

• Nicki M Super Reviewer
    Nov 20, 2016

Probably one of my least favourite movies staring Molly Ringwald. The story of how a group of friends cope after the suicide of another friend. Just a cheaply made 90's movie which probably went straight to video. (The dvd copy I have is in 2.0 and looks and sounds like a VHS tape, which doesn't help). I like Molly Ringwald and Christina Applegate , but I think I'd rather watch just about anything else starring either. Honestly they are not in it all that much either (Christina being the dead friend, and Molly one of the friends, who spends her scenes snarling and smoking, clearly trying to break some stereotypes, but she's done it far better in other movies). I guess it reminds me of the 10 for $7 bags of VHS crap I used to bring home weekly in the 90's. That's probably the best i can say about it. Very much part of that era!

• Dec 17, 2014

Shaded Places (aka The Giving Tree aka The Brutal Truth) Movie Review! A story about a young woman who commits suicide shortly after inviting several people to her mountain home. I've to say, one of the things that impressed me the most is the wooden acting. And the somehow obligated Molly Ringwald smoking and pouting scenes. Constant those are. You know, for a movie which deals with the suicide about a woman, it really isn't addressed as much. The characters know she's dead, yet the movie consists of 80% random activities. What the hell. The movie was so out of focus, out of place, and boring that it's sad to see several big names on this movie. I expected somewhat more. But it seems I've been blessed with this bunch of silliness. I give this a 1 out of 10. (.5 stars)

• Mar 16, 2014

There isn't much to the story, as it tries to come across a message but ends up being selfish junk. It's surprising how dumb the characters end up being, as well as the incredibly slow pace.