The Golem Reviews

• Nov 01, 2020

Weird boring religious drama with some gore splashed in. Good production value, but a chore to watch.

• Oct 12, 2020

I enjoyed this historical horror film. The acting is good and the main character is likeable and relatable.

• May 30, 2020

Folklore and mysticism enrich this creature feature, THE GOLEM, which weaves despairing drama into the horror. Social pressures and personal trauma drive the plot and viewers can hardly ask for more from a story. It's a complex woven emotional narrative as the central character shirks tradition to pursue her desires. The acting, tone and even the lighting are all solid. Set during a plague, conflict develops between two cultures who don't understand each other. One group uses force and violence to express their grief and confusion and they bring a plague and violence to an otherwise peaceful culture. Using old magic, the central character summons a monster to protect herself and her people, but her earlier trauma causes unexpected results. This movie is not short on gore and there's one of the golem's abilities viewers will either love or hate. I thought it was hilarious because it looked like an easy way out for movie developers to solve the problem of how a boy can physically reach a man on a horse. Hiliarity is probably not what movie creators were not going for, but it wasn't enough to undercut the complex emotions driving the story.

• May 21, 2020

Some good brain splatter scenes, but pretty boring for the most part. The creature could have been really cool and you think it will be from the first scene, but they decided to go an easy and not so scary route.

• May 10, 2020

The Golem was a slow-paced moody film. Not quite horror but an interesting twist on folklore. I would classify it as a mild dramatic thriller. Unlike most horror films with very dark scenes, this film occurs mostly in the day. I loved this aspect because it shows that bad things can happen at any time. The time is 1673, in a small Shtetl in Lithuania. The plague is killing the gentile and they blame the Jewish community for their plight. Hanna decides to create a Golem to protect her community against the threat. A Golem is an anthropomorphic being typically created from clay or mud. The Golem is used to serve its creator. How to destroy the Golem varies, some erase the letters on the forward, and others remove the scroll from their mouths. Regardless, they have no emotions and are somewhat controlled by their creator. At the same time, they can wreak havoc on a community by destroying everything in its path. This film brings an old concept but makes it unique and 1673 modern. Two things can be taken away from the film. One is how people deal with grief. The film is shaped by the grief of a mother who lost her son and a dad who may lose his daughter. The second is how an entity created to protect can also destroy. Sometimes the best solution is the most destructive one. At the same time, no one wins, and we may all end up dead or mourning the dead. In all, it's a great thinking movie. I would recommend it to everyone but not if you are looking for an actual horror film. The movie is wonderful but it isn't horror.

• Dec 28, 2019

I'd have to say this was "almost" interesting, but it wound up being not quite so good. There's an air of cheesiness or a lackluster b movie here. It didn't quite portray people in a believable way that I could connect with emotionally. So many aspects of the production and special effects were excellent, but it just didn't cut it. It was worth a once over, but I'd have to say that after all it felt dumb to me. I will never revisit this again.

• Dec 20, 2019

I really enjoyed the approach the filmmakers took with this story. It could have been schlocky and trite, but instead it felt familiar, but fresh. It was suspenseful and satisfying.

• Nov 23, 2019

É legal a história da mãe que perde o filho, e invoca ele de volta como um Golem. Mas sei lá...só achei bacaninha.

• Nov 21, 2019

Many will find this film underwhelming as a horror movie. It's a slow burn with lackluster use of CGI (practical effects would have been better) and an untraditional story structure. As an atmospheric period piece thriller/drama dealing with Jewish folklore this really is an excellent movie. Going in expecting blind expecting a typical hack and slash gore fest paying only shallow lipservice to the actual folklore, I was pleasantly surprised. If anything I feel the movie would have been even better not trying to appeal to modern horror audiences and showing less. But many would likely disagree.

• Oct 31, 2019

This movie is pretty bad.

This movie is pretty bad.