The Good Catholic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Good Catholic Reviews

September 21, 2017
Great movie. Loved Wrenn Schmidt's performance - strong, quick-witted woman. The last scene was just right.
September 21, 2017
This is a great movie! You can't miss it!
September 21, 2017
This made me cry in the best way! So needed in this current film industry :D
Thought-provoking and brilliant!
September 21, 2017
You need to see this movie. It's unlike any movie I have ever seen before!
September 21, 2017
THIS IS AMAZING!! A MUST SEE!
September 21, 2017
John C McGinley was fantastic! Overall movie was entertaining and well paced.
September 20, 2017
This movie is deeper than I expected. It is not primarily about a romance; it is really about the void and questions left when a good and spiritually strong parent dies and you find yourself redefining your beliefs and world view.
September 20, 2017
Saw the movie tonight with the director and Zack the lead actor. What a great movie!! If you are kind of sick of super hero movies and want to see a real well written, well acted, moving film this is the one.
September 18, 2017
This movie is an incredibly well written very unconventional love story. Zach Spicer is destined to be a movie star. He stands toe to toe with heavy hitters Dany Glover and John C. McGinley in every scene and knocks it out of the park.
September 17, 2017
I Loved the film. Zachary Spicer is fantastic in delivering a believable performance. John C McGinley gives me faith again in religion, and the writing behind the whole movie I thought was stellar.
September 17, 2017
Funny, quirky and just serious enough to capture the story based on a real life priest and a struggle with direction and the definitions of faith and love.
½ September 17, 2017
I liked it- the homilies were amazing and acting was solid. I am an IU alum and it was great to see Bloomington on the big screen.
September 17, 2017
Thought-provoking, entertaining, hysterical at times and heartwarming. Great acting, neat to see some young actors getting a chance to perform next to legends. Guaranteed to make you ponder your passions in life.
September 15, 2017
This movie is worth watching for the homilies alone. Look beyond the pathetic gendering of the characters and there is some great stuff. The church's emptiness is palpable until there is growth, then the church is shown full of people at the end. Glover's character is that detail-focused liturgist who is utterly annoying until we need someone to pull off the mass. McGinley's character ministers through relationship. Spicer's character is the result of going-through-the-motions discernment on the part of both priest and church. Schmidt is the congregation, looking for a light on in the church, living in fantasy just to get by. Children, the dying, and couples receiving counseling are shown in flickers of images. There is a wonderful scene of a priest heading into Reconciliation with another priest as they recognize the gifts and vocation of the other. Wonderful, haunting sound track. There are deep theological and ecclesiastical themes for those willing to take a deep breath and stay awhile.
September 14, 2017
A love story that sparks from the sacred, safe space of a confessional where an unlikely pair - a priest-in-training and an edgy coffee-shop rock-star - end up discussing more than just last week's sins. The acting is stellar - Spicer shines as the lead with a masterfully subtle, poignant performance; McGinley injects a crazy fun energy into the film as the wacky, sneaker-wearing and swearing Father Ollie, and Danny Glover is the perfect embodiment of an earnest, gentle but convicted Father of the catholic church. Justin Montgomery's cinematography is as natural, sensitive and honest as the story it tells.
September 12, 2017
The Good Catholic shouldn't be missed! Available on itunes. You will not be sorry! I promise!
September 12, 2017
A highly enjoyable dark comedy! The ordinarily heavy topics of religion, death, and love are explored in a tender, gentle, and downright hilarious way without detracting from their profundity. The writing occasionally feels just a tad forced, but is mostly impressive, and is expertly handled by the film's universally talented cast (though Zachary Spicer and John C. McGinley are the stand-outs). Spicer's performance is riveting - earnest, heartbreaking, and hilarious in its unabashed awkwardness. McGinley brings his well-established comedic genius (seriously, the man had me guffawing) but weaves in a lovable, intelligent, beautifully honest depth to his character. Well-worth the watch!
September 9, 2017
I give this film a 10
September 8, 2017
god is alive in the movies among all the other fiction.