The Good Neighbor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Good Neighbor Reviews

June 28, 2018
Not your average thriller type of movies that are end on a lighter note. This however, sheds light on heavier prevailing issues in our society. Might be a little heavier, but is definitely worth the watch.

spoiler below:
Honestly, i found this movie to be extremely insightful as it actually raised many prevailing our societies today. It made me think of the consequences of the things and actions we do in our daily lives. What started out as a harmless prank could actually lead to such dire consequences because indeed, we will never understand nor know what others have been through and their memories/ trauma they have experienced and cannot forget that connects so well with the things we say. Nobody would expect the 'harmless' words/ actions that we do to time to ring a bell to a painful part of their past, and in this case, it made the man believe his wife was in the house and in fact, calling him to her. I think the most painful part of watching this movie was having to bear with the severe lack of empathy and maturity that Ethan had while executing his plan, being so self entitled by placing himself and his emotions above others. Im actually really saddened by the fact this poor lonely man took his own life and actually teared up at that part because i felt so sorry and sad for him, taking the pranks as a sign of the presence of his wife and even taking his life eventually over wrong signals. And im genuinely surprised that none of the reviews i read os far talked about this. Im earnestly thankful to move, serving both as a timely reminder and echoing the cries of what we need to really do in our society- do not judge a book by its cover because ultimately, people only see what others want them to see and do not wear their pain out on their sleeves. And do not do things to others despite thinking that it is harmless for the irrevocable consequence is not something we can bear. Despite them being seemingly harmless, there are deeper and heavier consequences in our actions that could even lead to a result of life or death. Really thankful for this film.
March 31, 2018
Has an interesting use of found footage. The acting is bad but there are some noteworthy scenes near the end. Majority of the film is colour corrected and just looks unappealing. I recommend not watching this film. 4/10
March 8, 2018
Enjoyable film that keeps you in suspence until the end.
½ March 3, 2018
The premise is good, James Caan is in it. For these reasons, I watched this film, on Netflix.

I thought that James Caan did an excellent job portraying the neighbor, in his complex and hidden motivation. Mr. Grainer is a complex character, and of course a legend like James Caan will nail the character.

The kids playing the prank... Yeah, not so intersting, lots of repetitive boring scenarios. I kept stopping the movie to do other things because I got bored, but then came back to watch a bit more, until I got bored..

I finally managed to finish, and I appreciated the ending, but overall, this was a boring film with an interesting concept, and a severe under-use of an amazing talent (James Caan)
½ February 22, 2018
Despite the bad ratings I quite liked the movie. It was a decent thriller with a good lesson also showing that nothing is as it seems. Teenagers could've been picked better that's all.
February 10, 2018
Delivers justice at the end of the film but not enough!!!!
½ February 4, 2018
Do all the secrets worth unfolding!!!

This is really refreshing. Something rare and unpredictable film in a thriller. Nice characters and the setting where all the story takes place. This is about two teenagers secretly trying to video document one of their neighbours after judging his character through several events of his life. So they place hidden cams in his house, expecting something twist to happen. As the story goes on, they face various troubles and what result they get in the end was a shocker.

I think nicely written film. Not much fuzz about the characters or any events. Though there were some scene that puts the views on the edge of their seats. Overall a nicely made film, either quality or the quantity, totally acceptable. The actors too were good. The kids and then the Jame Caan. The suspense was the backbone of the film. It succeeded on that, but don't anticipate anything bigger. It is a simple, small thriller that's surely worth a try.

7/10
January 15, 2018
Shout out on the good acting but the movie more depressing than scary and thr story line is just confusing.
December 10, 2017
Lots of build up, no payoff.
October 28, 2017
Really Enjoyed this Movie! I really like the Actor that plays Sean 'Keir Gilchrist'.. First saw him in one of my Favorite Shows 'The United States Of Tara' as Toni Collette is one of my Favorite Actors.
He is also in New Netflix show "Atypical ' and "It Follows".
Great Actor??
October 7, 2017
Story took awhile to get to the point. James Caan was the best thing of this film without a doubt. There were some intense scenes that made you turn your head upside down. Overall it was okay, definitely not a film I would watch again or reccomend. But it is a film that could be watched just to pass the time.
September 29, 2017
I absolutely loved this movie. Though sometimes subtle, it's scenes wove together an emotional story. A perspective that is slowly developed throughout the movie.

While I highly recommend you see this movie, I noticed the trailers seemed to give an incorrect portrayal of it and actually took several scenes out of context. Point being, don't watch the trailers, just enjoy the movie!
September 24, 2017
An excellent film that reminds the audience of how misconceptions can lead to unthinkable tragedy. Rotten Tomatoes has failed yet again in its unfair rating of this masterpiece. Chilling as it is brilliantly executed, this film is definitely worth the watch. I would definitely recommend this film to any movie fan.
½ September 22, 2017
I truly enjoyed the way this movie takes the trope of the teenagers messing with a crotchety old drunk and slowly twists your perception of the characters. While it's missing some character development it certainly deserves more attention than it currently has. I would watch this again and that's not something I can say about many movies.
September 6, 2017
Just watched on Netflix. The actors were fine but the script was not unless you like tot see 2 punk kids unknowingly trick an old man into thinking he was being haunted by his late wife. The end result was not satisfying as a viewer at all.
August 28, 2017
Great movie when there is nothing else to watch at night. Great plot. A little slow but when are self recorded documentary type of movies aren't? Exactly. Nice flow through the movie. Original in a sense.
½ August 19, 2017
Great movie. Well written.
August 15, 2017
I do not understand the abysmal ratings, I thought this thriller told a pretty interesting story, with a dark twist. There is some social & justice-system commentary there, and the ending leaves you wondering where everyone stands on the moral spectrum.
July 26, 2017
Was expecting more of a horror flick, which turned out to be something that I kept telling myself was incredibly cheesy, while at the same time, sitting up in bed wondering what was about to happen.

For a movie I didn't expect anything from, it was at least engaging for the most part, and modestly entertaining. Worth the watch if you've come to the end of your saved movie/show list on Netflix.

Was not expecting to get hit square in the feels at the end and fight tears off - well done, James Caan. You were the main reason I gave this film a slightly above average rating.