The Great Gatsby Reviews

• 2d ago

A cinematic triumph and a heartbreaking story.

A cinematic triumph and a heartbreaking story.

• Sep 03, 2019

One of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen

One of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen

• Sep 02, 2019

Been watching this movie since it came out in the cinemas. Spectacular. Amazing story and acting by the actors, Leonardo and Tobey. In depth meaning of love, selfishness and ambition. Also, the movie portrays the sad reality in our society about the misleading news for the benefit of those who only listen what they wanted to hear.

• Sep 02, 2019

It is like listening to a good song, but the volume is turned up so high that it is not enjoyable and you miss any subtle details. Impressive visuals, to be sure. but it veered too far into being a spectacle and not a film. The hyper, larger than life focus on everything made it feel unnatural - which did not work when it came to making the plot relatable. The main characters' dialogue, clothing and acting were so exaggerated that they felt like caricatures, not real people. I appreciated the attempt, but the movie suffered from having *everything* exaggerated, instead of just the parties.

• Aug 25, 2019

In the spring of 1922, Nick Carraway arrives in New York and becomes a neighbor of the mysterious and partying millionaire Jay Gatsby as he lives across the bay with his cousin Daisy and his wife husband Tom Buchanan. Thus, Nick is drawn into the captivating world of the rich, their delusions, loves and frauds. In witnessing facts inside and outside the world in which he lives, Nick writes a tale of impossible love, dreams and tragedies that mirror conflicts in modern times. When I watched the movie trailers, I was surprised by their playful tone. In fact the feature has a very imaginative atmosphere that is not quite common in Hollywood, but here it is more than necessary welcome. Although it has a seemingly simple premise, "The Great Gatsby" is a very interpretive film and touches on issues such as the reification of the individual, thingification, corruption, selfishness, among many others. The script is a bit bumpy. The first 20 minutes are pretty discardable and the long delay really gets into the story, but once it does, it becomes quite a captivating experience, largely because of the complexity of the characters created by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Leonardo DiCaprio (Jay Gatsby) is perfect. Always smiling, it is easy to like him and also realize his various layers developed gradually in the story, while Carey Mulligan (Daisy Buchanan) builds his character gradually and very realistically. Tobey Maguire (Nick Carraway), although in the original work, is unnecessary and his inexpressiveness ends up damaging the public's connection with him, since his character should be the bridge between the spectator and the storyteller. Joel Edgerton (Tom Buchanan), Elizabeth Debicki (Jordan Baker) and Isla Fisher (Myrtle Wilson) are short on the scene, but enough to please. "The Great Gatsby" is also a very sensory experience: Cinematography, full of vibrant colors, dazzling costumes and stunning scenery puts the audience into the world of the title character. Imaginative, immersive and very sad "The Great Gatsby" is a film that starts mediocre, but becomes mandatory for fans of a good story, as well as a good philosophical debate.

• Aug 18, 2019

Great movie, you need to pay attention and focus in order to really get it

Great movie, you need to pay attention and focus in order to really get it

• Aug 02, 2019

rewatched this film last night and seriously enjoyed it all over again with the heartbreak being as fresh as last time. the actors all did a wonderful job portraying their characters. the leading duo's chemistry is extremely entertaining to watch. recommend watching this every time you want to remind yourself that the world is cruel.

• Jul 30, 2019

Though I understand why people criticize this film, I personally loved it. The soundtrack, the visuals, the dialogue, it all worked perfectly for me. Leo played the role great, and although none of the supporting cast stood out for me, no one was bad. I was just really impressed with how they turned an old literary masterpiece into a hip modern film.

• Jul 22, 2019

The Great Gatsby is a thrilling movie, I love how it combines older music with modern movie. The acting in the film is spot on. It also hits soo on for what the times would've been like back then. The movie wasn't afraid to also show how times were different with race and how men thought they were above women. Some people may think that took it to far, but that's how the times were. The dancing was also spot on with the Jazz era. If you haven't watched it recently you need to. Look at it with both eyes open this time.

• Jul 21, 2019

I've read The great Gatsby book several times and I watch the original movie before Han d. Of the two movies this one really captures the essence of the book. On people complain about the narration but it was only solution to really accurately convey the story. The parties are epic and that's what I kind of felt they were in the book. DiCaprio deserves more credit.