• Directed By:
    Baz Luhrmann
    In Theaters:
    May 10, 2013 Wide
    On DVD:
    Aug 27, 2013
  • Warner Bros. Pictures

This wasn't very good.

I saw an advanced screening, and had high hopes, since i'm a big fan of the book. unfortunately, while it did tell the same story as the book, the whole thing felt hollow. I agree with one critic who said Luhrmann took F. Scotts commentary against the opulence of the jazz age and turned basically made it seem like the jazz age was the greatest. All in all, I give it 2/5
Brian Harris
05-8-2013 12:04 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

hollis m.

hollis mills

the jazz was the greatest haha lolol

May 8 - 03:40 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

Ha! See? Already audiences are hating it. I told you all this movie would fail like shriveled hot dog balls on a water stick.

May 8 - 12:56 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

I'm not surprised at all, this is Lurhmanns handiwork. He's delivering the same garbage he delivered with Moluin rouge and the rest of his filmography, only this time he's perverting a literary classic. If Luhrmaann actually cared about the story's of his movies as much as he cared about his flamboyant directorial style and adding hip to music into settings that don't match then he would actually be a good director.

May 8 - 11:10 AM

Ronald Neira

Ronald Neira

Wow, someone who thinks like me about Baz Luhrmann's movies, well I'm not alone.

May 8 - 05:15 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

I liked Moulin. It was fun and had class. I just wish he had tried a different approach to this.

May 9 - 02:31 PM

PJ Edwards

PJ Edwards

Agreed. I had low hopes and it pretty much matched them. Could have cut a good half hour. Also could have not have had scenes in the 20s with Jay z songs playing in the background.

May 8 - 12:28 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Eh, I forgave that, since that is just Luhrmann's style. I just wish he had tried to give it a little subtly though. I agree it could have been cut significantly though, especially a lot of the party scenes.

May 8 - 12:35 AM

PJ Edwards

PJ Edwards

Agreed. I had low hopes and it pretty much matched them. Could have cut a good half hour. Also could have not have had scenes in the 20s with Jay z songs playing in the background.

May 8 - 12:28 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

"...and turned basically made it..."
Well, i'm drunk

May 8 - 12:09 AM

David Tanny

Big Fat Jewish Guy

I trust your opinion, Brian, from our discussions on the Evil Dead forum. Too bad this movie wasn't the great adaptation people were hoping for...

May 8 - 12:06 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Yeah. I've come around to the opinion that it is a book that simply can't be adapted. So much of what makes it good is the subtext which is lost in translation to the screen.

May 8 - 12:08 AM

Find us on:                 
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile