The Great Gilly Hopkins Reviews

• Mar 10, 2021

Sweet and humble performances, particularly Bates at her recent best, over cringey awkward writing swerved as proof in favorably conventional avoidance for decent unfinished narrative satisfaction with a minimal heart. (B)

• Jan 17, 2021

Normally not my type of movie, this movie was an exception. This had a tremendous cast led off by a remarkable young actress I'd never seen. Sophie Nelisse gave a powerful performance and one I will not forget anytime too soon. The story was emotionally humorous, dramatic and honest. I will be looking forward to see what Sophie Nelisse has to offer in the future.

• Sep 27, 2020

Above average kid's movie. Not as dark as Paterson's other novel Bridge to Terabithia but it still has enough rough edges to make it refreshingly blunt.

• Jun 08, 2020

Es una historia bien elaborada, con toques de humor y momentos sentimentales.

Es una historia bien elaborada, con toques de humor y momentos sentimentales.

• Sep 23, 2019

I wasn't sure when I first started watching, but this movie is great!!!!! It is a family film and it has a great message! The cast is super, each character came to life!

• Aug 01, 2019

Gilly Hopkins is a tough 12-year old who's been shuffled from foster home to foster home due to her troubled behavior. That is until she's taking in by kindly Kathy Bates. This story could easily have been a dull ABC After School Special type of story, but it's elevated by the presence of Bates as the tough but caring foster parent as well as a strong performance by Glenn Close as Gilly's grandmother. Another surprise was the a rather unsentimental and realistic portrayal of Gilly's addict mom by Julie Stiles. There's also strong performance by Octavia Spencer as a caring teacher who connects with Gilly by telling her she sees that she's an angry person just like her and helps her to make that anger constructive. Character actor Bill Cobbs also delivers a strong supporting performance as a blind neighbor. Admittedly, I don't think I was the target audience for this film, but I'll say my 10-year old daughter was completely wrapped up in the film, so although it may not be all that good of a film for adults, it's made watchable by some strong performances, and your pre-teen kids will probably enjoy it more than you.

• Jan 26, 2019

Really enjoyed this movie, great family movie!

Really enjoyed this movie, great family movie!