The Great Mouse Detective Reviews

• Aug 12, 2019

This is the best under rated Disney movie ever! It is one of my all time favorites

• Jul 29, 2019

For me, this film *does* rank with Disney's classics, 100%. A wonderful adaptation and homage to the works of Arthur Conan Doyle.

• Jun 16, 2019

Absolutely classic, with great dark style visual art, great story telling and a great villain with excellent solid voice delivery by Vincent Price! Who doesn't love his performance?!👍

• May 10, 2019

I have always liked Disney animation films. They were a staple in my childhood, and so I always had a soft spot for them. I also have always liked mystery stories with clever detectives, like Sherlock Holmes. By all rights, you would think The Great Mouse Detective should have been one of my all-time favorites in the Disney catalogue. Yet, for some reason, I saw it once as a child and don’t remember seeing it since then. Revisiting it now, I found it to be a charming little film, but I can also see why it wasn’t one I watched dozens of times like Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin. The art style in this one is reminiscent of the Don Bluth films, but with a slightly softer feel to fit the Disney brand. It has some funny characters, and I liked the interactions between all of them. Each major character has humorous quirks, and it makes you connect with them on a deeper level. It tells a lot when they hardly talk about how Basil feels about the young girl who hires him, but you can sense the arc he goes through in that relationship, so the ending is earned. I do think there are a few things that don’t work so well in the Great Mouse Detective. For one thing the songs are all lackluster, forgettable, and mostly feel shoehorned in so that it can fit the Disney Animation mold. There are plot elements that feel a bit rushed. This works for the young audience they are targeting, but I actually wanted them to slow down to give us opportunities to breath and to connect with the characters again. More than anything, it didn’t feel like there was enough of a mystery. Because it is so clearly modeled after Sherlock Holmes (to the point that Holmes even makes a cameo in the film,) you expect a puzzle for him to unravel. Basil simply doesn’t spend much time piecing together the clues to deduce anything. I supposed he has to do some thinking to get them on the trail of Ratigan, but it just feels like he stumbles into things easily and rarely wows us with his superior intellect. I don’t want to sound overly critical, though. It’s still a fun film to watch. There are a few scenes in The Great Mouse Detective that are extremely enjoyable, and because it’s so short I’d gladly watch it again any time.

• Mar 28, 2019

This is the second time I have seen The great mouse detective. The great mouse detective is a Disney film directed Ron Clements, John Musker, Burny Mattinson and David Michener. Very good voice acting. I personally really like Vincent Price as Professor Ratigan. He brung evil and class to the character. Very good characters from the great mouse detective A.K.A Basil to Professor Ratigan. Good cinematography with some very good shots. Very good and vibrant animation. Very good setting with England 1897, and I also like how certain mice share a home with there human counterpart. Very good style from the colour scheme and tone to the character design. Good action though there little. Good sound design like most Disney animated films. Very good dialogue especially for a childrens movie. Good and steady editing. Very good music whether its front ground or background. Very good story and premise. Ive personally always loved detective storys. The film also has some good comedy. Very Good atmosphere except for a few scenes. The film is also really enjoyable. The film doesnt have a couple things that annoy me but they dont take away to much. Over all I give it a 7/10 - very good

• Mar 10, 2019

I legitimately like all of Musker and Clemons movies. This is their first at Disney, and wow would they show they have potential.

• Jan 02, 2019

This is a sorely underrated Disney classic. It is full of great characters like Basil of Baker Street, Dr. Dawson, and Professor Ratigan (played with glee by Vincent Price), and its mystery plot is a hoot. I also love the musical theme of this movie by Henry Mancini.

• Dec 26, 2018

After the disgrace of the movie "The Black Cauldron", I was expecting very low, but I have only to say that the film is excellent. The story of the film was very good, the characters were fantastic (the villain is capable of being one of the best movies of Disney), the soundtrack is very good, the animation is great and the sound mix is very good. I am sorry that this movie is one of those forgotten films of Walt Disney Pictures, because I think today would mark the childhood of many children. Highly recommend.

• Nov 13, 2018

Niente di memorabile, interessante o lontanamente coinvolgente. Una storia estremamente banale raccontata con animazioni mediocri e certamente inferiori agli elevatissimi standard a cui siamo abituati. Insieme ad altri lungometraggi d'animazione dello stesso periodo segna un periodo buio per la famosa casa di produzione.

• Aug 03, 2018

'The Great Mouse Detective' may not rank among the best Disney films, but the film's intelligent protagonist, entertaining villain, and intense climax makes it worth the watch.