The Greatest Silence: Rape in the Congo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Greatest Silence: Rape in the Congo Reviews

½ December 10, 2012
Must see this film because it opens up your eyes to what is going on in the Congo and what is being done to women. You can read about it, but nothing will stick like seeing the images and interviews with these women that makes the issue important. I urge everyone to watch the film and see what how you can help with this issue.
½ December 9, 2012
Let me begin by saying that this is such a tear jerker for the sad realities of the struggle woman go through in Congo. These woman go through more pain and trauma than I could even imagine anyone entail. It is amazing to me to see how cultural difference can change how others perceive people being raped. For instance, people in the US who are raped, others are sympathetic for them and what to try and help them through psychological treatment. Yet in DRC these women are viewed as being the ‚problem.‚? Not only do their husbands tend to leave them but they are torn away from their entire family. The documentary brings to light how in the DRC is up close and very personal with the women and their stories. I think it makes you appreciate the US judicial system in the protection of women rights, but hurts your heart for the women in other countries who are not as fortunate. I truly hope that documentaries like this will help these women grow and persevere from their hard times, while preventing other woman from encountering such evilness. I pray that the DRC will try and change this in the near future and in order to survive. Many of them take on more than an average person should in order to provide for the bare minimal for their family. It is amazing to see that they take on so much and yet ask for so little. It makes you realize how fortunate some of us have while we still thing sometimes it is not enough, while others would dream of our reality here in the create some form of consequence for those who do such things.
December 7, 2012
The women in this movie are beyond beautiful beings. They have been raped, and tortured, you can see the pain in their eyes. Many of them blame themselves and are left behind by their husbands (sometimes their whole families) who do blame them for their rapes. I was in tears when one woman told her story of being raped by seven men, her rectum had been badly burned from being held over hot coals, and the woman that had had a rifle shoved inside her vagina and the trigger had been pulled. I will warn that this movie is descriptive and you hear the view points of the victims and the rapists. You will feel anger, sadness, and joy when the victims start to recover. I definitely recommend the movie.
November 28, 2012
The movie was very gut wrenching. The DRC has many problems with conflict and becoming a developing nation, but it seems that countries never truly highlight the gross atrocities their civilian women suffer from. The documentary brings you in as you hear of real women speaking from their minds expressing their fears and the horrible experiences they've lived through. The fact that the filmmaker was able to bring in her experiences with rape and relate them from how they were handled in the US to how the encounters are handled in DRC was truly eye opening. In the US rapists are usually always prosecuted and punished for their crimes, in the DRC, these rapists still live among these women. NGO's and human rights groups need to watch this. This is a true unscripted testimonial that deserves attention. If the DRC really desires development, they need to work on domestic issues and ensure protection and equality of women.
March 15, 2010
This was on Austar today .... if you want to be instantly depressed then watch this doco... SHOCKING shit that goes on there. :(
June 28, 2009
Sad, disturbing and tragic documentary about the sexual violence that women in the Congo must deal with daily and their bodies become likened to tools and wargrounds as a means of systematically breaking down and dominating the enemy.
½ May 26, 2009
absolutely eye-opening documentary. one thing to read about sexual violence and the other to see and hear all those women-victims of sexual violence in DRC
April 7, 2009
I cried watching this shocking documentary.
March 23, 2009
Very well done - greatly portrays the suffering of the Congolese women
½ November 21, 2008
all the more impressive for the courage of the women who spoke out, including that of its maker
October 10, 2008
A deeply disturbing and personal look at a horrifying and tragically overlooked problem. Extremely effective.
September 9, 2008
I only saw the second half of this horror story but I'm going to go ahead and give it four stars anyway. Very well told.
August 24, 2008
This film acuatlly brought tears to my eyes. It was so awful to hear these poor woman tell their stories. And I was rather blown away by some of the more gruesome horror stories, and the cauallity of the men that admitted to raping dozens of women. Very dustrubing, not for the weak.
August 7, 2008
Anyone who is interested in the rights of women should see his film. It is beyond words.........
July 31, 2008
A well done disgusting documentary that deals with the bestiality of (at least one) african war. Poor african women...
July 14, 2008
A well done documentary of the untold story of war torn Congo and the women who are expendable there.
June 22, 2008
wow. it really opens your eyes on how greatfull we should be. scarey and horrible what happens over there. should see to educate oneself
May 25, 2008
An Oscar winning documentary about the most sinister crime against humanity ...rape. I call it the most sinister because to rape women and children destroys the planet at its very core. These rape victims are shown trying to come to terms with themselves by speaking about the crimes against them. These women have paid with not just their bodies but also their minds and their very existence. Most of the women in this documentary (including the filmmakeer) have lost their spirit, their children and husbands, their extended families and, at many times, their vital organs to rape. What is also shocking is the fact that these women blame themselves. The filmmaker has tried to bring the voices of these victims to the world to stop these violent acts. The Congo is a very wealthy republic. It is rich in precious minerals and oil which is one reason why war is still occurring in this region. I was saddened that these women garnered so much shame because their families and viillages had turned their backs to them. These victims are often impregnated and have given birth to the children of these sexual predators. There are so many predators in this republic. The republic is involved in an economic war for oil, gold and coalton. What is coltan? I didn't know what it was until I saw this documentary. Apparently, coltan is used in wireless laptops and cell-phones. So you may now realize that demand is high due to the world's disire to communicate (almost needlessly) with each other. The war rages on due to supply and demand for the products that the world didn't need until these products came to the market. The Congo holds 80% of the world's coalton. These predators are a variety of rebels who take food, clothing, family members and these women's God-given nature. I was further shocked to learn that, on occassion, these sexual predators have also included United Nations officers. The social stigma that these women face after rape has caused most of them to remain alone and in silence. There is not much, if any, legal recourse for the miillions of victims. The victims range from age 4 to 80. The rapists say they don't have time to love and when they ask for sex and get turned down, they simply take it. It is disturbing to learn that it is not just one man but many men with no disease protection. The film further descrbes how these women are left scarred and mutilated. Very powerful and eye-openning. Everyone should see this and think about what we purchase and how it hurts women and children.
May 17, 2008
Very disturbing that these crimes take place. Really opens your eyes what is happening at times of war in Africa. Sad...