The Grey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Grey Reviews

½ July 16, 2016
Suspensful, thrilling survival drama with strong performance from Liam Neeson. The movie cleverly describe the characters, feelings and emotions of people in survival-mode.
July 10, 2016
This movie will undoubtedly do for wolves what "Jaws" did for sharks. An edge-of-your-seat thriller with some of the most suspenseful scenes in any modern movie. Liam Neeson is a force of nature in this stunning film. The wolves are beyond scary.
½ July 6, 2016
If for nothing, I love this movie for not having god react to human shoutings!! A delicate refreshing move towards atheism/agnosticism for mainstream movies. The story is simple but the narration is gripping - after the first 15-20 minutes.
July 3, 2016
One of the worst movies I have ever seen, phony.
June 28, 2016
An exceptionally well-crafted allegorical and philosophical thriller.
½ June 26, 2016
One of many of the 'Man Vs Nature' sub-genre, The Grey is about a team crash landing in a snowstorm and having to survive a pack of wolves as they try to hunt them down. Whilst not a perfect survival movie, this is a darn good one albeit a super depressing tale. This is probably Neeson's best role from his recent films due to his character being very complex and damaged. The supporting cast also had back story and we slowly get to know each one as the film goes on. However, during these scenes the film does slow down so there are a few pacing issues. The wolves are brutal, clever and (after watching the film) down right frightening. Being set in Alaska and during a snowstorm, it can be difficult to see during some scenes but it isn't that bad that it ruins the film. Overall, this is a quality film and definitely a highlight in Neeson's filmography.
½ June 9, 2016
91% An engaging and intensely entertaining film of survival with fleshed out characters and beautifully haunting settings.
½ June 1, 2016
A great survival movie that is a little unbelievable at times, but Liam Neeson more than makes up for it with a excellent performance that is gritty and down to earth. Great movie, this one will be remembered by viewers quite a while after they see it.
May 30, 2016
boring, slow and low budget. we never get to care about any characters. definitely a shame for liam neeson filmography.
½ May 21, 2016
The Grey features a fantastic Liam Neeson and a great setting. It's frightening, realistic and more emotionally powerful than what some will expect.
April 23, 2016
Not bad as an on-land version of Jaws. Stranded in the wild subzero Alaskan wilderness, chased by a pack of vicious wolves which were not easy to see. Too much dialogues which the director tried to bring up calm moments as contrast to sudden attacks.
½ April 20, 2016
Extremely tense from start to finish, mildly boring at times though. The Grey isn't as action-packed as its marketing would've suggested. It's more of a drama than a thriller really and its packed full of hidden messages and boasts an extremely smart plot interpreted from Ian Mackenzie Jeffers' short story The Ghost Walker. There's really not a lot of fun to be had at all but that's to be expected when a film is released called The Grey and stars Liam Neeson. His acting is on par as always and the script is really well done. Its a nice piece of unpolished, visceral filmmaking.
½ April 4, 2016
The Grey is an emotional tale of survival that sheds light on the power of nature. We see all types of personalities reflected in this film as man faces the fear of death. With thrilling action and philosophical dialogue, The Grey delivers a story that keeps you guessing.

Liam Neeson put on a great performance. However, he is the same character as he is in all of his other films... Always knowing exactly what to do while claiming he's making it up along the way one way or another.

The existential philosophy while men face death is rehashed, but still intriguing nonetheless. However, the film did an excellent job with creating a genuine tension as day turned into night and the men were being hunted by wolves. It got me to start thinking what I would do in these situations, and by the end of the movie I realized I was mentally exhausted because I was fully engaged from the beginning to the end of the film.

Overall, great film to get your nature survival fix.
½ April 3, 2016
That line we cross from life and death, civilization and wilderness, awakened and sleepless state, we are left helpless to its control over us. We venture into the unknown, with so little, little we know about the elements, how much we can take, this is not our place and time. Where the harshest places, only the harshest things survive. What we are born into, we adapted out of. What other things are born into they have adapted into. When few humans were never meant to live in such elements, construct a civilized society of laws, and rules, when it doesn't matter here. When a communal group is required only to hunt and gather, establish territory, rid all threats to live in peace as animals do. No place for civil obedience when you could fall into the bottom of the food chain. When there is a reason such animals exist in such climate, while other animals dont. When such animals prefer to live, commune, and hunt in such climate that few are used to and unable to live.
Liloh
March 21, 2016
Hell yes, I simply enjoyed this Movie.
March 19, 2016
The CGI wolves didn't seem terribly realistic here. That said, they were plenty menacing, and downright terrifying at times. Their inability to overcome the odds is a refreshing change, although the feeling of hopelessness does begin to take a toll after a while. And it's nice to see Neeson in a decent move again!
March 15, 2016
My favorite film of all time. Definitely an acquired taste, but the beautiful imagery, the believable characters, the brutal honesty of the story, spiritual/Christian undertones, and the open ending ultimately won it over. Not a perfect film but its flaws are vastly outweighed by its great points. Fantastic performances by Liam Neeson and Frank Grillo, great score, amazing cinematography, Joe Carnahan put together a film that is simultaneously grim and lovable. Had this been released a few months earlier, it would have taken home several Oscars.
½ March 11, 2016
Lucas Anderson
WR 121/ALP, Chris Riseley
Review#1
The Grey
Pros-Action Packed
This movie is everything you want in a heart throbbing action thriller. For about 80% of the movie you are witness to 7 men struggling to survive in hellish conditions. The whole time you see every obstacle and the all-around terrible situations they constantly have to overcome.

Con- Character Development was weak.
While you somewhat got to bond with the other characters, not much is known about them and that could be said about the main protagonist. You get short glimpses of his past but never anything that actually tells you about who he is. They could have given the characters more depth.

Pro- Well paced and beautifully shot
The stories pace was very nice surprisingly. The events that were played out weren't scripted too far away to where the viewers would get bored of the filler and yet were not so close that them to have a hard time understanding and keeping up with what's going on. The scenery was absolutely stunning and the CGI effects were pretty decent. They did a good job making the surroundings believable and the actors definitely helped with their performance.

This movie does a great job with creating a sense of desperation that I am sure no one wants to ever experience. After watching this I never looked at wolves the same way. I was shown a side of wolves that I had no clue could even be possible. That's what's amazing about this movie, its so far out there but then it's also completely logical and could definitely be possible.

I highly recommend this movie to a thriller junkie, but it's not for the faint of hearts. Make sure no kids are in the room, unless they can handle it. I know most young ones would have nightmares with a fear of snow and wolves for the rest of their lives.
February 29, 2016
The Grey; After their plane crashes in Alaska, six oil workers are led by a skilled huntsman to survive but a pack of wolves follow their every step.
It has a great cast and it is a great story of survival you really feel the struggle and fear from the characters. Although I found it a little slow and a little boring at times.