The Grey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Grey Reviews

½ November 20, 2016
I hate dogs, wolves, shit like that..I'm a cat person and i would rather see a killing of all this wolf pack in the end..
October 22, 2016
I was really surprised by this film. It looked like Non Stop with wolves but it's actually a great survival film. Be sure to check for the post credits scene.
½ August 11, 2016
powerful, gripping; sticks with you long after seeing it
July 31, 2016
Gripping and emotional in every way, "The Grey" is a survival movie led my misleading marketing tactics, but certainly deserves a lot of recognition.

A group of oil rig workers become stranded in the frozen wilderness after their plane crashes. Besides freezing and lack of food, their primary threat turns out to be a ravenous pack of wolves. It becomes a fight for survival as each character must fight until the very end.

"The Grey" is not only my second favorite movie of all time, but is an amazing movie at that. Sadly, this film was plagiarized by misleading marketing tactics that portrayed this to be a false action film. The reality of the matter is that this film is a gripping tale of survival and the fight that fuels a man's survival. It's a deeper character study that's dark and slow, and it is definitely not some action flick. I personally think that if the trailers were different, this movie would've received a lot more positive reviews. For now though, this is why I think this movie is a fantastic film.

First off, Liam Neeson is perfect as the lead character "Ottway". He brings the physicality and the emotional balance to his character that makes him an intelligent and relatable protagonist. Neeson takes the role and owns it, easily creating one of his most memorable performances to this date. The rest of the cast, although some expendables, all filled their roles really well. Frank Grillo is able to bring a sympathetic side to his character while really bringing out the "asshole" personnel of his character. Guys like Dermot Mulroney and Dallas Roberts also did great in their roles, and the rest of the supporting cast filled in nicely.

The screenplay, in my opinion, was actually very clever and filled with meaningful dialogue. I normally don't appreciate movies that fill their lines with a plethora of curse words, but it felt kind of natural for the characters and the situation at hand. It's definitely sore to the ears at first but after watching this film almost a dozen times, it certainly becomes more comfortable. The character development we get from the dialogue is actually very interesting and helps you attach to the characters at hand, and this movie really does a great job of digging deep into what fuels a man in his quest for survival. All of these characters want to live, and they all fight for something different.

The story overall is a powerful and underrated exposition that left a bigger mark on my life than I ever thought it would. When I first watched this movie just four years ago, I was so captivated and stunned. The more I thought about the film, the more heartbreaking and impactful it became. It has had such an impact that I am even getting one the film's quotes tattooed on my body, which is saying a lot. If you really dig deep into this movie, it's one that you can appreciate a lot more.

The thing I absolutely hate is when people either say something is "trash" or just "amazing". What makes something complete trash? I feel it's not only disrespectful, but unintelligent and arrogant to call something trash just because it's different or you don't completely understand it. It's perfectly fine if people don't like a movie, but it's different when they can't back that reason up. Due to misleading advertisements, many people didn't give this movie a fair shot or meaningful analysis and this film did receive a lot of hate. I just ask that if you do watch this film, give it the due respect of analyzing it to the best of your ability, then make your judgement from there. Rant over, now let's continue.

The visuals and use of certain camera shots were not only very creative, but it sent chills down my spine. (Minor, minor spoiler) There was one scene where the men were huddled around a fire at the crash site. They then hear the deep growl of a beast, so they grab a fire stick and walk over to investigate. In the dark lies a pair of haunting, glowing eyes, then more eyes start to appear around them. It was shots like these that were so creative using their low budget and it made the film very unique in a way. There are plenty of survival movies out there and plenty of Man Vs. Wild adventures, but it's moments like these that make the film memorable.

The soundtrack was also chilling and beautiful orchestrated, setting the tone and the scenes very well. I felt that it matched the film perfectly and it really emphasized and added onto the scenes rather than detract from them.

There are so many amazing and beautiful things about this movie that I absolutely loved, and this movie has had such a big impact on my life mentally. I was so affected by this movie after the credits rolled that I couldn't even think straight, and this is why it's my second favorite movie of all time.
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
A film I was wanting to see but never really got round to it and now I've seen it I don't know why I waited so long, The story was complete opposite of what I thought, I was expecting Liam Neeson survives a plane crash has OTT fights with a pack of wolves gets rescued and the end, But what you get is an amazingly told survival film gripping from start to finish, Brilliantly acted by all the cast, The wolves arn't really the main story it was about having the courage to continue in life or death situations, Liam Neesons best performace on screen any day of the week, I did feel that they gave his character too much back story but in the end it worked brilliantly to how the film finished, Don't expect an action film you will be disappointed and in my opinion it ended perfect, Happy endings are best left in the 90's.
½ July 16, 2016
Suspensful, thrilling survival drama with strong performance from Liam Neeson. The movie cleverly describe the characters, feelings and emotions of people in survival-mode.
July 10, 2016
This movie will undoubtedly do for wolves what "Jaws" did for sharks. An edge-of-your-seat thriller with some of the most suspenseful scenes in any modern movie. Liam Neeson is a force of nature in this stunning film. The wolves are beyond scary.
½ July 6, 2016
If for nothing, I love this movie for not having god react to human shoutings!! A delicate refreshing move towards atheism/agnosticism for mainstream movies. The story is simple but the narration is gripping - after the first 15-20 minutes.
July 3, 2016
One of the worst movies I have ever seen, phony.
June 28, 2016
An exceptionally well-crafted allegorical and philosophical thriller.
½ June 26, 2016
One of many of the 'Man Vs Nature' sub-genre, The Grey is about a team crash landing in a snowstorm and having to survive a pack of wolves as they try to hunt them down. Whilst not a perfect survival movie, this is a darn good one albeit a super depressing tale. This is probably Neeson's best role from his recent films due to his character being very complex and damaged. The supporting cast also had back story and we slowly get to know each one as the film goes on. However, during these scenes the film does slow down so there are a few pacing issues. The wolves are brutal, clever and (after watching the film) down right frightening. Being set in Alaska and during a snowstorm, it can be difficult to see during some scenes but it isn't that bad that it ruins the film. Overall, this is a quality film and definitely a highlight in Neeson's filmography.
½ June 9, 2016
91% An engaging and intensely entertaining film of survival with fleshed out characters and beautifully haunting settings.
½ June 1, 2016
A great survival movie that is a little unbelievable at times, but Liam Neeson more than makes up for it with a excellent performance that is gritty and down to earth. Great movie, this one will be remembered by viewers quite a while after they see it.
May 30, 2016
boring, slow and low budget. we never get to care about any characters. definitely a shame for liam neeson filmography.
½ May 21, 2016
The Grey features a fantastic Liam Neeson and a great setting. It's frightening, realistic and more emotionally powerful than what some will expect.
April 23, 2016
Not bad as an on-land version of Jaws. Stranded in the wild subzero Alaskan wilderness, chased by a pack of vicious wolves which were not easy to see. Too much dialogues which the director tried to bring up calm moments as contrast to sudden attacks.
½ April 20, 2016
Extremely tense from start to finish, mildly boring at times though. The Grey isn't as action-packed as its marketing would've suggested. It's more of a drama than a thriller really and its packed full of hidden messages and boasts an extremely smart plot interpreted from Ian Mackenzie Jeffers' short story The Ghost Walker. There's really not a lot of fun to be had at all but that's to be expected when a film is released called The Grey and stars Liam Neeson. His acting is on par as always and the script is really well done. Its a nice piece of unpolished, visceral filmmaking.
½ April 4, 2016
The Grey is an emotional tale of survival that sheds light on the power of nature. We see all types of personalities reflected in this film as man faces the fear of death. With thrilling action and philosophical dialogue, The Grey delivers a story that keeps you guessing.

Liam Neeson put on a great performance. However, he is the same character as he is in all of his other films... Always knowing exactly what to do while claiming he's making it up along the way one way or another.

The existential philosophy while men face death is rehashed, but still intriguing nonetheless. However, the film did an excellent job with creating a genuine tension as day turned into night and the men were being hunted by wolves. It got me to start thinking what I would do in these situations, and by the end of the movie I realized I was mentally exhausted because I was fully engaged from the beginning to the end of the film.

Overall, great film to get your nature survival fix.
½ April 3, 2016
That line we cross from life and death, civilization and wilderness, awakened and sleepless state, we are left helpless to its control over us. We venture into the unknown, with so little, little we know about the elements, how much we can take, this is not our place and time. Where the harshest places, only the harshest things survive. What we are born into, we adapted out of. What other things are born into they have adapted into. When few humans were never meant to live in such elements, construct a civilized society of laws, and rules, when it doesn't matter here. When a communal group is required only to hunt and gather, establish territory, rid all threats to live in peace as animals do. No place for civil obedience when you could fall into the bottom of the food chain. When there is a reason such animals exist in such climate, while other animals dont. When such animals prefer to live, commune, and hunt in such climate that few are used to and unable to live.
Liloh
March 21, 2016
Hell yes, I simply enjoyed this Movie.