The Ground Truth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ground Truth Reviews

April 21, 2014
Hard-hitting, uncompromising, thought-provoking, moving...those are just a few adjectives that describe this documentary about veterans from the Iraq War.
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to seeing!
October 7, 2012
This is a hard film to watch, but it is an important film to watch. It's a documentary about military folks who served in the Iraqi War from their recruitment, to training, to serving (and killing), and coming home with both psychic and physical wounds. It is them, their voices, their pain, their forever changed lives. One likens recruitment to marketing of cigarettes: it used to be cool (Marlboro Man billboards) and now comes with a surgeon general's warning. The surgeon general doesn't warn anyone about how cool it is to become a Marine. Another talks about his field chaplain: The human body can live 72 hours without water, two weeks without food, and no time at all without hope.
September 14, 2012
Sara was in my unit, center photo on the cover. Sara is one of the biggest cowards I have met. He attempted to reenlist after our Iraq deployment, but was denied because of his cowardice acts while deployed. And then he started bashing the Marine Corps. He talks about how bad it was, but he actually did nothing while he was deployed to Iraq.
August 3, 2012
It's done well enough, but I hate docs with an agenda other than presenting unbiased fact.
April 19, 2012
Doesn't seem interesting
½ March 1, 2012
This is a really disturbing story from the veterans of the Iraq war.
December 17, 2011
What an amazing story about what's really going on over there and how it affects lives.
December 11, 2011
November 10, 2011
Interesting, but not engrossing.
½ September 20, 2011
It's been very informational for me. I've always been sensitive to veterans but I had no idea what they've been going through. It's the worst type of post traumatic stress disorder and shame on US for not helping.
July 16, 2011
This film was obviously made by a Liberal person...only showed one side of the war....Very anti-war.....Did not like it...Although I still have it in my heart to help veterans any way I can!
April 30, 2011
BUSH - you are really worse than Stalin and Hitler together.
½ April 5, 2011
It's sad that civilians are being tricked into becoming soldiers then fooled yet again when they get home from war and are denied care.
½ February 3, 2011
No doubt an invaluable document for the producers of "The Hurt Locker" and HBO's "Generation Kill"... One of this new film's strengths is precisely this ability to evoke, with great tact and subtlety, a wider historical perspective, to recognise that while the technologies and training have improved in the intervening period, the resources made available to the average soldier, and the pressures exerted upon him, remain very much unaltered. Worse still, in such a brute-force, macho environment, is how aftercare is sorely, and in several cases *fatally*, lacking - a cursory passing-out of surveys that brings the world no closer to knowing or treating post-traumatic stress disorders. Once you've been told - by your superiors, and your own frazzled mind - you are surplus to requirements, what do you do with that murderous rage that's been installed inside you, other than turn it back upon yourself. It's a tough watch, but - funded by various veterans' groups - one that has the soldiers' very best interests at heart. At 70 minutes, it's brisk enough not to induce compassion or combat fatigue, yet its most indelible images - whether dead bodies in the road, or returning soldiers embracing their loved ones - stay with you far longer than that.
December 20, 2010
I've read and heard about these post Iraq War stories and the shit ass psychiatric unit before, so it was really hard to get through "The Ground Truth". I give this documentary 5 stars, because the film is made entirely of interviews from the soldiers. The soldiers get to be heard. People who don't know that the military isn't like some cool video game or a fast way to raise money for college probably wouldn't have the attention span to watch this documentary either. Military needs to stop advertising itself in such ways. Those really long Army commercials played before trailers at theaters piss me off. I think the CEO of Carmike should watch this documentary.
½ December 14, 2010
Brutally frank & difficult to watch.
September 10, 2010
One-sided, but informative about experience and reality that you wouldn't hear about on the news in the comfort of your armchair.
½ September 5, 2009
No new ground is covered in the messages of war veterans now opposed to war and struggling to get the help they need to reacclimate back into society. Paraphrased quote from film: They weren't fighting for freedom or justice, they were fighting for their lives. And lost their humanity in the process.
July 6, 2009
It is a documentary that seems generic in its purpose and simply shows how terrible war is, but after awhile, you get attached to what the soldiers have to say, and that is the purpose of the film. Powerful and heartfelt.