The Gruffalo's Child - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Gruffalo's Child Reviews

October 18, 2016
Similar to its predecessor, except more silly.
June 29, 2016
Basically take my thoughts on the first Gruffalo, copy them here. That's essentially the review. I don't know if there was really any need for a second Gruffalo movie, this one basically follows the same path as the first one just reversed in a way. Still, I didn't mind returning to the woods where the Gruffalo roams. It's a nice place to visit.
½ March 19, 2016
The same production values and therefore appeal as the original Gruffalo. This is darker though and not without a few scares, especially for the really young viewers like my son. Still a solid and enjoyable adaptation though.
February 5, 2016
A very cute kids movie. My son loves the Gruffalo book.
September 25, 2015
Fantastic animated adaptation of the book. The casting, animation, and music are perfect for the story.
August 28, 2015
why isnt this a hugher rating???? so adorable!!
April 13, 2015
The big, bad mouse.

One morning the squirrel children wake up from hibernation to discover some strange tracks in front of their house. They tell their mom they think it is Gruffalo tracks. The squirrel mom looks at the tracks and tells the squirrel children a tale of the baby Gruffalo and how he wondered into the forest one day looking for the big, bad mouse."

"No Gruffalo should set foot in the deep dark woods."

Uwe Heidschooter and Johannes Weiland collaborate to delivers The Gruffalo Child. The storyline for this picture is well written and fun to watch unfold and the animation are excellent. I loved the characters and the interactions between characters. The voices also fit the content perfectly.

"Into the woods went the Gruffalo's child."

I came across this picture on Netflix and had to add it to our wishlist. My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed the first gem and enjoyed this one just as much. Overall, it would be nice if this 26 minute short film was longer, but it is still worth watching with your child for sure!

"He's somewhere nearby, eating Gruffalo pie."

Grade: B
January 16, 2015
Nice animated sequel, although the story itself is pretty much a reworking of the first short film.
½ May 20, 2014
Mythology in action. Brilliant.
January 7, 2014
The second animation short of the novel adaptation is equally wonderful. Lovely narration and characters, short and cheerful.
½ December 24, 2013
Charming children's short animated story and enjoyable sequel
½ April 16, 2013
I remember the book and it was a nice little short film to go with it. Well done, but really nothing special
February 26, 2013
Long and boring animated short that spoils the first one.
February 16, 2013
It feels like a sequel... which it is.
February 16, 2013
Disappointing. Fellow moviegoer's analysis that "the way the snow looked was the best part" is apt; would have preferred this not be bundled with the animated short program--it was the longest, was not an actual nominee, and the 'lesson' wasn't one I would teach my kids.
½ February 12, 2013
One of the honorable mentions in the Oscar nominated animated shorts program. This sequel again uses Helena Bonham Carter as a mother squirrel to narrate the rhyming fable. The same snake, owl, and fox who appeared in the Oscar nominated short from a couple years ago play lesser parts this time around. Instead the Gruffalo's child tests her courage by seeking the Big Bad Mouse that her father tells her tales about to keep her from wandering alone in the woods. The mouse does not play such a large role as before either, but again survives by his quick wits. And the Gruffalo's child learns to stay sheltered in her cave with her father's protection.
½ February 5, 2013
This was good...but it started to piss me off after a while. Now don't get me wrong, the animation is flawless and the story is cute. But the rhyming was just too much at some points.

It's based off of a children's book. We get it.
October 1, 2012
The "plot" is not nearly as interesting or satisfying as the original story, but this is still a really pretty movie (in the same ways as the Gruffalo).
½ September 15, 2012
This sequel to the award-winning short is a hit! With a touching storyline and heartfelt characters it is amazing.
August 22, 2012
While still a cute story for children, this sequel did not have the tight allegorical content of the original for adults. Also, a parent may need to explain to a child trying the physics proposed in this video that it is not technically possible to project larger shadows from moonlight the way one can from a flashlight.