The Guilt Trip - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Guilt Trip Reviews

September 5, 2015
This was a heartwarming dramedy type movie. It was well cast for sure, but the story is just okay. It was a little dull at times.
½ August 30, 2015
The Guilt Trip has enough charm and heart to act as a good comedy, but watching this more than once seems unlikely.
June 30, 2015
This movie is guilty on the charges of being extremely boring, cringy and unfunny.

The plot revolves around someone who knows of nothing but being a dick and his annoying mother who travel around the US trying to sell some sort of cleaning product for some reason.

Seriously, Seth Rogen's character is a douche to his own mother in this movie. You might as well call this movie "You're going to be bored while watching Seth Rogen act like a dick for 104 minutes of your life which you will never regain".

His mother, however, is annoying... Very annoying... From playing audiobooks about hermaphrodites to making weird rape jokes. Her voice will piss you off, very, very much... This movie doesn't even try to make her look likeable.

The amount of m&m jokes in this movie makes it seem as if they are forcing the product placement.

Well, the one star is for the inclusion of the song 'She's my cherry pie' in a strip club. Maybe it would've gotten another half star if it didn't feature the universe's largest dickhead and Barbara Streisand...
½ June 12, 2015
Not the movie that Paramount promoted. This is an emotionally intelligent film about an aging mother and middle-aged son. One of the best American films I've seen to take an honest, but sensitive glance into the relationship of mothers and sons. This is not a typical Hollywood bathroom humor movie nor is it a typical Streisand or Rogen movie. Even the synopsis is off on this site. Excellent performances and a quietly powerful film that will make you chuckle a few times but more importantly sparks ideas about parent to child and child to parent relationships. This film is grounded in reality. I strongly disagree with the majority of film critics who I normally tend to agree with. It felt like they went to a different movie. See it.
½ June 6, 2015
I wasn't that much looking forward to The Guilt Trip as it has negative reviews from both critics and users from Rotten Tomatoes, but I am a fan of Seth Rogen, writer Dan Fogleman, and when I enjoyed The Proposal, so I decide to check it out, and it surprised me of how underrated it is. The plot is your average road trip movie that does nothing new at all, but to the chemistry between Seth Rogen and Barbra Streisand that succeed it from being a forgettable film. Dan Fogleman knows how to write a mother and son relationship, and can create a lot of funny moments based on their conversations that the main characters had. Now my mom doesn't act like that to me, and if I did had a mom like Barbra Streisand's character, I would probably act like Seth Rogen's character too as it legitimate for him to be like that, even if there were some moments from him that I'll never do. The movie goes through a realistic approach which is refreshing to see coming from a road trip film and doesn't make it ridiculous like Trains, Planes, and Automobiles, and Thelma & Louise even though I enjoyed those films. Even though the chemistry between the main characters is all there is to the film, they are really good in this that delivers the lines in a funny way that I enjoyed from this film.
½ June 4, 2015
Screen legend Barbara Streisand is perfect as the overly doting mother, and it's interesting to see Seth Rogen branch out of his usual sub-genre of comedy.
May 31, 2015
Decent movie... funny at times. Not too slapstick... more situational humor and some people can relate very well, I'm sure!
½ May 14, 2015
A much better movie than I thought it would be. Nice little feel good film with a touch of comedy, just don't expect to see a comedy and you may enjoy this one!
½ May 11, 2015
This was actually a great movie. The chemistry between Seth and Barbra was great and the movie turned out to be very laughable (especially with the family) as well as emotionally stirring. Any son who loves his mom will appreciate this movie.
April 6, 2015
Funny! Love the mom role.
½ February 20, 2015
Guilt Trip was an average comedy with a lot of heart. Seth Rogen seemed like he was just being himself, hanging out with his real mom because the on screen chemistry with Barbra Streisand was excellent. It was rather plain at times with them just going on a road trip across the US with a few stops along the way. As the film went on it got better and the jokes were never crazy funny but there were enough subtle laughs to make it worthwhile. The ending was great and really touching and this is a great one for mothers and their son to watch together. Don't go into this expecting the typical Rogen dirty laugh out loud comedy, but what it does bring to the table is a fun flick with a good message.
February 19, 2015
An awfully sweet comedy about a pair of mother and son on a coming-of-age road trip. A must-see for children who have overly protective mothers who worry too much, save too much, talk too much, dispense unnecessary advices too much and essentially, love their children too much.
February 12, 2015
It's not BAD, but it could be a lot 'faster' and funnier. Love Barbara Streisand though, just lovely.
½ February 1, 2015
This certainly isn't one of the best road trip films out there, but it also isn't the worst. Guilt Trip falls somewhere in the middle, purely for the fact that it doesn't go for insane amounts of vulgarity, which is a blessing and a curse. The film follows a mother and a son who take a road trip to Los Angeles for business. The film's first issue was the casting of Seth Rogen. His vulgar humor is obviously toned way down for this family friendly film, but he doesn't do much of anything outside of get mad and yell. Yes, it can be argued that there is always someone like that in all road trip films, but at least those films provide humor with a firm foot on the tone they want. Another issue is the tone. The film goes from comedy to sappy melodrama and back and forth repeatedly, and the film and pace suffers. The only real saving grace is Barbra Streisand, who actually appears to be committing to the role and giving her character some type of dimension. By the time it ends, the film is decent, but not as good as it could have been.
January 26, 2015
The portrayal of the mother-son relationship was well picked and nicely done that has related connections and brought along the two h's: hilarity and heart; making this an hilarious recommended mother-son film. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
January 3, 2015
It's kinda dull. There's emotional drive there, but there aren't enough jokes there either. Not a whole lot happens.
½ December 26, 2014
Very cute movie. I enjoyed the relationship between the mother and son. I liked the character growth that both of them develop. There is a mild happy ending where the romantic relationship development was only for the mother not the son. I felt the son got left out of cupid's arrow in this film which was somewhat of a disappointment and why I didn't give it five stars.
½ December 23, 2014
You know for the bad ratings, it wasn't bad, though I didn't laugh as much as I thought I would
December 21, 2014
Despite poor reviews, we gave it a shot. It was great! Chemistry between the leads was all you could ask for a very satisfying, easy-on-the-brain movie. Had a tough week? Hit PLAY, sit back and enjoy.