The Guilt Trip - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Guilt Trip Reviews

December 21, 2014
Despite poor reviews, we gave it a shot. It was great! Chemistry between the leads was all you could ask for a very satisfying, easy-on-the-brain movie. Had a tough week? Hit PLAY, sit back and enjoy.
½ December 17, 2014
The Guilt Trip is sweet, light-hearted, and warm...but it's also sappy and forgettable.
Harlequin68
½ December 14, 2014
In "The Guilt Trip," Andy(Seth Rogen) has just invented an organic cleaner that he plans to peddle to corporate stores around the country. While doing so, he also plans to bring along his mother Joyce(Barbra Streisand), not only to get her out of the house but also because he has also located her first love still alive in San Francisco.

You know you're in trouble if in trying to make a comedy, the best scene is a serious one, hinting at where the overall tone of "The Guilt Trip" should have been in the first place. I mean Seth Rogen has shown he has been able to drama and comedy before but shows he has no idea here of how to be the straight man and Barbra Streisand's once great comic instincts have apparently atrophied to very little over the decades. That leaves it to Brett Cullen to steal the scene he is in, with another highlight involving a strip club. Because otherwise all you are left with are the cliches of the road movie genre, with the accompanying overwhelming product placement. The saddest thing is this might be the closest we come to a big screen adaptation of "Middlesex."
December 10, 2014
It's good for what it is but I wasn't impressed. Story seemed to drag on quite a bit.
½ December 7, 2014
It's been a while since I saw it but I remember really liking it.
½ December 2, 2014
Very underrated. The Guilt Trip is effectively funny and heartfelt. 74/100
December 1, 2014
Wasn't really excited for this but I liked it
November 14, 2014
Funny, Heart felt movie
November 13, 2014
Rogen as a scientist? Yea not buying it. Also not funny enough.
October 24, 2014
I can't stand Seth Rogen, but I thought I'd give this a try because he's, for once, not playing a dumb stoner. Unfortunately for him when he's forced to play the "straight guy" he just seems really uncomfortable and out of his element. Barbra Streisand on the other hand is very good and she saves the film.
The story is pretty thin but I don't mind that if the characters are interesting, which they sort of are, in places..mainly Streisand. I don't know, maybe I'm being a little generous with this rating but I honestly don't think it's a bad film, it's just a bit empty.
On the flip side, I was never disinterested and had an alright time watching it, so I'm not going to be harsh.
½ October 23, 2014
Pretty bad movie. The film's major problem is not that it's incredibly clichà (C)d (which it is), or that the tone is too jumbled (also true), it's that it's not very entertaining for the first hour of the movie (which is 2/3 of the movie). The laughs during that time are few and far between, the dramatic scenes are not that great, and the performances are even worse, Streisand being unbearably annoying, even if that was supposed to be her character, it was still too much, and Rogen not really showing any real acting, just bland formulaic stuff. The last half hour is where the movie slightly picked up, which is not good that they waited that long. It has funnier moments and more touching dramatic parts, as well as improved performances from the cast, but still isn't great. Overall, the movie was pretty boring, sets up potential for good gags and wastes them, and doesn't give the leads anything good to work with.
October 11, 2014
I am typically not a Seth Rogen fan. in fact I usually try to avoid most of Rogens films. this is a major exception. the chemistry between Rogen and Barbara Streisand in guilt trip is pretty effective or at least for the most part. the movie has some genuinely funny moments and some good awkward humor but its not perfectly paced and has some slow areas that probably could've been trimmed a bit. there was also one scene in the film that was kind of out of place in that it was so harsh and mean spirited. it just didn't seem to fit the tone of the rest of the film and if you've seen it or if you ever get a chance to see it you'll know what I mean at that point. all in all I wouldn't have wanted to pay theater ticket price and it definitely wasn't one I would watch over and over but it was cute and worth a rent.
½ October 9, 2014
Considering I'm not a Barbara Streisand fan AT ALL, I was hesitant about seeing this movie. Thanks to JetBlue, I got to see it for free. Fortunately, I wasn't just a captured audience. The chemistry between Babs and Seth Rogen was very natural. In what I thought would be a goofy comedy ended up being an adorable, heart-warming romp with mother and son where lessons were learned by both and wonderful memories were made. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it.
½ September 23, 2014
Drags a little but good
September 21, 2014
cute but predictable. certainly not "hilarious".
½ September 6, 2014
I thought my choosing to watch this movie the other night was an act of desperation for any form of entertainment, given the scathing reviews. Who knew - my husband and I loved it. The actors were spot on perfect, the writing and direction sound and subtle. I felt glad to have spent the evening with these characters and the story that was nimbly, gently, and insightfully told. It was a delight to see Barbra S. back in a mature (and that is not a euphemism for old) form of a "type" she has often played - the gregarious woman with a strong personality paired up with an emotionally withdrawn, brainy guy. This time was like the unplugged version - intimate, not broad, real not amplified, and all the richer for it. Seth Rogan is totally her match, and together they are peas in a pod who totally seem to get one another. A lot of fun.
September 1, 2014
Seth Rogen and Barbara Streisand have been in a number of comedies over the years, but 'The Guilt Trip' marks the first time the two shared the screen together. Directed by Anne Fletcher, the movie is a C-rate laugher that follows Rogen's traveling salesman/entrepreneur as he tries to pitch an organic cleaner to big box stores as he asks his overbearing Jersey mother (Streisand) to tag along in an attempt to reunite her with a long lost love on the west coast. The plot sounds like it should be one that would offer up a good amount of humor, and there are a few funny scenes, but overall 'Trip' is just not that funny. There are some weird ups and downs that really do a number on the flow of the film, with some bits of drama just feeling really "off" and out of place considering the set up. Additionally, Rogen is not his usual self, he just seems to be out of his element for some reason. Streisand does well, though, and her portrayal of the crazy mom is in line with what you'd expect. Everyone knows someone in their life who shares characteristics with Mrs. Joyce Brewster. Still, somehow 'Trip' ends on a nice note, which is all you can really ask for. While 'The Guilt Trip' is far from a great film, it's not the worst road trip that's ever been chronicled on screen.
August 31, 2014
Only great thing about the movie is Barb Streisand eating a meal fit for someone 10 times bigger than her.
August 30, 2014
Funny but it could of been better !
August 19, 2014
It was funny and true to its part.