The Guilt Trip - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Guilt Trip Reviews

½ February 1, 2015
This certainly isn't one of the best road trip films out there, but it also isn't the worst. Guilt Trip falls somewhere in the middle, purely for the fact that it doesn't go for insane amounts of vulgarity, which is a blessing and a curse. The film follows a mother and a son who take a road trip to Los Angeles for business. The film's first issue was the casting of Seth Rogen. His vulgar humor is obviously toned way down for this family friendly film, but he doesn't do much of anything outside of get mad and yell. Yes, it can be argued that there is always someone like that in all road trip films, but at least those films provide humor with a firm foot on the tone they want. Another issue is the tone. The film goes from comedy to sappy melodrama and back and forth repeatedly, and the film and pace suffers. The only real saving grace is Barbra Streisand, who actually appears to be committing to the role and giving her character some type of dimension. By the time it ends, the film is decent, but not as good as it could have been.
January 26, 2015
The portrayal of the mother-son relationship was well picked and nicely done that has related connections and brought along the two h's: hilarity and heart; making this an hilarious recommended mother-son film. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
January 3, 2015
It's kinda dull. There's emotional drive there, but there aren't enough jokes there either. Not a whole lot happens.
½ December 26, 2014
Very cute movie. I enjoyed the relationship between the mother and son. I liked the character growth that both of them develop. There is a mild happy ending where the romantic relationship development was only for the mother not the son. I felt the son got left out of cupid's arrow in this film which was somewhat of a disappointment and why I didn't give it five stars.
½ December 23, 2014
You know for the bad ratings, it wasn't bad, though I didn't laugh as much as I thought I would
December 21, 2014
Despite poor reviews, we gave it a shot. It was great! Chemistry between the leads was all you could ask for a very satisfying, easy-on-the-brain movie. Had a tough week? Hit PLAY, sit back and enjoy.
½ December 17, 2014
The Guilt Trip is sweet, light-hearted, and warm...but it's also sappy and forgettable.
Harlequin68
½ December 14, 2014
In "The Guilt Trip," Andy(Seth Rogen) has just invented an organic cleaner that he plans to peddle to corporate stores around the country. While doing so, he also plans to bring along his mother Joyce(Barbra Streisand), not only to get her out of the house but also because he has also located her first love still alive in San Francisco.

You know you're in trouble if in trying to make a comedy, the best scene is a serious one, hinting at where the overall tone of "The Guilt Trip" should have been in the first place. I mean Seth Rogen has shown he has been able to drama and comedy before but shows he has no idea here of how to be the straight man and Barbra Streisand's once great comic instincts have apparently atrophied to very little over the decades. That leaves it to Brett Cullen to steal the scene he is in, with another highlight involving a strip club. Because otherwise all you are left with are the cliches of the road movie genre, with the accompanying overwhelming product placement. The saddest thing is this might be the closest we come to a big screen adaptation of "Middlesex."
December 10, 2014
It's good for what it is but I wasn't impressed. Story seemed to drag on quite a bit.
½ December 7, 2014
It's been a while since I saw it but I remember really liking it.
½ December 2, 2014
Very underrated. The Guilt Trip is effectively funny and heartfelt. 74/100
December 1, 2014
Wasn't really excited for this but I liked it
November 14, 2014
Funny, Heart felt movie
November 13, 2014
Rogen as a scientist? Yea not buying it. Also not funny enough.
October 24, 2014
I can't stand Seth Rogen, but I thought I'd give this a try because he's, for once, not playing a dumb stoner. Unfortunately for him when he's forced to play the "straight guy" he just seems really uncomfortable and out of his element. Barbra Streisand on the other hand is very good and she saves the film.
The story is pretty thin but I don't mind that if the characters are interesting, which they sort of are, in places..mainly Streisand. I don't know, maybe I'm being a little generous with this rating but I honestly don't think it's a bad film, it's just a bit empty.
On the flip side, I was never disinterested and had an alright time watching it, so I'm not going to be harsh.
½ October 23, 2014
Pretty bad movie. The film's major problem is not that it's incredibly clichà (C)d (which it is), or that the tone is too jumbled (also true), it's that it's not very entertaining for the first hour of the movie (which is 2/3 of the movie). The laughs during that time are few and far between, the dramatic scenes are not that great, and the performances are even worse, Streisand being unbearably annoying, even if that was supposed to be her character, it was still too much, and Rogen not really showing any real acting, just bland formulaic stuff. The last half hour is where the movie slightly picked up, which is not good that they waited that long. It has funnier moments and more touching dramatic parts, as well as improved performances from the cast, but still isn't great. Overall, the movie was pretty boring, sets up potential for good gags and wastes them, and doesn't give the leads anything good to work with.
October 11, 2014
I am typically not a Seth Rogen fan. in fact I usually try to avoid most of Rogens films. this is a major exception. the chemistry between Rogen and Barbara Streisand in guilt trip is pretty effective or at least for the most part. the movie has some genuinely funny moments and some good awkward humor but its not perfectly paced and has some slow areas that probably could've been trimmed a bit. there was also one scene in the film that was kind of out of place in that it was so harsh and mean spirited. it just didn't seem to fit the tone of the rest of the film and if you've seen it or if you ever get a chance to see it you'll know what I mean at that point. all in all I wouldn't have wanted to pay theater ticket price and it definitely wasn't one I would watch over and over but it was cute and worth a rent.
½ October 9, 2014
Considering I'm not a Barbara Streisand fan AT ALL, I was hesitant about seeing this movie. Thanks to JetBlue, I got to see it for free. Fortunately, I wasn't just a captured audience. The chemistry between Babs and Seth Rogen was very natural. In what I thought would be a goofy comedy ended up being an adorable, heart-warming romp with mother and son where lessons were learned by both and wonderful memories were made. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it.
½ September 23, 2014
Drags a little but good
September 21, 2014
cute but predictable. certainly not "hilarious".