The Hangover Part II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hangover Part II Reviews

½ March 9, 2016
Very similar to the first movie in terms of plot. However it is still a fun ride with laughable moments.
½ March 6, 2016
The development of this plot never goes further than, 'What if the original took place in a far less interesting city?'.
March 2, 2016
Same story line, but in Bangkok, so it's a great upgrade. Yes, lacks the impact of the original, but I love it.
½ March 1, 2016
On any given day I invite you to sit down on the strip, outside one of Sin Cities landmark casinos and watch the steady stream of sad and sorry Batchelor party attendees as they pile into a car, tails squarely between their legs after a night of debauchery, that will hopefully be buried deep within their hazy memories of a night that was.

In 2009, the world was privet to an insider's grasp of Las Vegas' ever so true slogan "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" in The Hangover. After heading to Vegas for a last single mans final hurrah, an unfortunate memory stricken threesome awaken to a comic battle with fate as a series of deadly misadventures from the night before unfolds.

In 2011, we learn the meaning of the Thai slogan "same, same but different" in the highly anticipated sequel The Hangover II. A comic crud-encrusted gem where the only things to have changed are the setting, screen writers and ... well that's it. An uncensored textbook case of 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'; Hangover II embraces the same situational based bizarre occurrence that should only ever be a one off in a persons lifetime.

A few years have passed and the 'not a real doctor' dentist Stu (Ed Helms) is now a perspective groom on the marriage chopping block. Jetting off for his nuptials to upscale resort in exotic Thailand, Stu reluctantly gets the posse; Phil (Bradley Copper), Alan (Zach Galifianakis) and Doug (Justin Bartha) to agree forgo the batchelor party in favor of a simple pre-wedding buddy bonding session at a beach bonfire with beer and toasted marshmallows.

It's Groundhog Day however when Phil, Alan and Ed awake in a sleazy cock-roach infested dump hotel room in Bangkok, ignorant of their location and with all the telltale signs of a night that was...

Utilizing the exact same plot references beginning with Copper's calm exclamation to the bride-to-be "We screwed up" the wolf pack have left a trail of havoc in their wake and are once again forced to uncover the mental and catastrophic events of the night passed.

Replacing the sunglasses wearing baby with a denim-jacket clad smoking drug mule monkey, the missing tooth with a lurid permanent facial tattoo and the missing groom with the bride's cello-playing child-genius/aspiring surgeon sixteen-year-old brother, who needs a new theme when a proven formula works so well.

With some extra vulgarities thrown into the mix including a transvestite stripper (or two), a hijacked aged monk with a vow of silence, a cocaine overdosed Mr. Chow, Russian thugs, a severed finger bearing a Harvard class ring, a shaved head, some secret bank codes and a frequently interrupted power grid, the only thing missing is Doug, once again left out of the dog's breakfast of action.

Galifianakis' bizarrely petulant man-child schtick works well as the embarrassing and deliberately socially inept Alan, Ken Jeong embodies sleaze as the self-styled drug-slammed international criminal Mr Chow, Mike Tyson returns in another teeth clenching singing cameo and Nick Cassavetes falls by the way side as the tattooist (a role originally shot with Mel Gibson but who's anti-Semite comments saw him dismissed from the project).

As per the first film, the best bit is always the final R-rated revelation of what really went down that night in the form of still photo montage. With its willingness to cross the filthy line again and again, guffaws of shock from the audience spew's freely as the hangover from hell scratched straight from Bangkok's underbelly embraces moral turpitude at its best.

The Verdict: After smashing R-rated box office records it is inevitable another sequel will soon be in theatres. Having already visited both America's and Asia's worlds most ethically devoid cities, director Todd Phillips must be on the search for a new location to corrupt. Maybe Europe's highest contender might be the perfect next step, who knows The Hangover III, Amsterdamage!

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 03/06/2011
February 25, 2016
Great sequel, Not as bad as most critics were saying it was, I will admit that the same plot was a little bit pointless but they still made it work.
February 8, 2016
Great movie although not as good as the first, still it was a great comedy.
½ February 7, 2016
Although this movie seemed a little similar to the first Hangover, thats what made it slightly amusing and genuinely funny.
It did have some parts that seemed a little unnecessary but overall I found it generally good.
½ January 9, 2016
This film disappointed me. I loved the first film and I thought the second would be great as well. However it is just the same film all over again there is nothing different about it. Most of the jokes fall flat and the film is just unfunny most of the time. I'm sorry Hangover but you should of left it at 1 and I will not be watching the 3rd because of how this film has turned out.
January 7, 2016
Its spot on hilarious.
January 4, 2016
Similar formula to the first film. Except where the actor Bryan Callen is the only person with a new role. Eddie has a severe case of amnesia and totally forgot he was the owner of a wedding chapel and met the group in the first movie.
December 31, 2015
Bangkok? Well the pacts did another crazy thing as the first movie.. The same formula was used here and for me it just as same as the first movie, they just need a better twist.. Overall, I'm not that impressed with this sequel..
½ December 28, 2015
Surprisingly just as good as the first movie!
½ December 22, 2015
They should had stopped at part 1...
December 1, 2015
A pathetic excuse for a sequel, actually more of a lazy rehash than anything else. Everything is so boring and predictable, the jokes are disgusting and not at all funny, and Zach Galifianakis is absolutely unbearable. But at least it has Ed Helms in it.
November 27, 2015
The film definitely has flaws but is entertaining enough if your expectations aren't super high. I think it is definitely a copy of the first and the formula has barely been tweaked here. You would think the same thing would be just as funny but its not. I feel the filmmakers just tried to make everything raunchier and more extreme and they expected more humor. It really makes you feel shocked more than laugh. Still it has a decent enough mystery despite familiarity issues. Overall I can say its alright but nothing as groundbreaking as the first one.
½ November 23, 2015
Yes. It precisely happens again which does not make any sense at all. But a movie is a movie. What I have said about before was wrong. The plot is a lot better than the first one. Cooper, Helms and Galif all show more enthusiasm including Ken Jeong (which has a bigger role in this film). The film is a crueler, darker, raunchier carbon version of the first one. But I laughed my ass off. Worth it.
November 5, 2015
Far inferior to the original. This film is sure to bring about a few chuckles, but not much else.
½ September 19, 2015
An almost completely plotless waist of time and money. Only a few well-deserved laughs in this one, for me.
September 18, 2015
Despite the fact that this is a direct copy of the first movie, it's still hilarious enough to be part of the franchise! A-
½ September 12, 2015
Quite boring and really not that funny. They really made another one after this one??