The Hard Ride Reviews

• Dec 17, 2016

Rather tepid biker film, which is not a description you want for a biker film. The grindhouse sub genre of outlaw biker films of the 1970s are probably my favorite disreputable subgenera that never really caught on. There was absolutely a resurgence of grindhouse horror, blaxploitation, kung-fu films, and even a few women-in-prison films, but no one apparently wants to see a bunch of Hell's Angels fighting each other or terrorizing small towns. In this film, a Vietnam vet comes back home after promising a dead buddy that he'll take care of his bike, creepily named "Baby." After he gets the bike, he also hooks up with his buddy's old girlfriend, but his old buddy's other biker friends don't take so kindly to that. Rated PG levels of violence and sex ensure, which is really the problem with this film. I think the charm of biker films is that they are so rough and mean and this biker film was far too restrained. It's not awful, but it never really comes to life either.

• Apr 19, 2014

It's there if you want it. During the Vietnam War a dying soldier promises his best friend that he can have his motorcycle. After getting discharged, the soldier looks up the deceased soldier's widowed girlfriend. Of course the friend and girl hit it off. The local bike gang doesn't take too kindly to the idea of the friend getting the bike or the girl. "An Indian with a beard?" Burt Topper, director of War is Hell, Tank Commandos, The Diary of a High School Bride, The Devil's 8, Hell Squad, and Soul Hustler, delivers The Hard Ride. The storyline for this was just okay. Some scenes were awkward. The acting was below average and the cast includes Robert Fuller, Biff Elliot, William Bonner, and Tony Russel. "So that's babe?" "That's her." I generally like these old drive-in grindhouse pictures. Unfortunately, this movie was very bland and boring. I guess I could recommend this if you enjoy watching the biker movies from this era, but this really doesn't add much to the genre. I recommend skipping this. "I don't give a damn about you. All I want is that bike." Grade: C-