The Hawk Is Dying - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hawk Is Dying Reviews

December 6, 2015
Fascinating story. Great cast. Too bad the script gives them next to nothing to work with.
½ April 10, 2014
While the story leaves much to be desired Paul Giamatti gives a stunning performance!
February 6, 2013
An incredibly hard movie for me to care about, despite Paul Giamatti's stand out performance. The hawk gets annoying, particularly when he starts carrying it around. The pace is too slow, despite the sombre events I just lost interest. The scene when his nephew's body is discovered is powerful, beautiful and raw performances make this a stand out scene, I just wish this power had continued throughout the whole movie. A bit of a sleeper.
½ June 3, 2012
Weird. Eccentric. But endearing. Enjoyed it.
December 10, 2011
Love Paul Giamatti, will have to see this. Recommended by Brian.
July 15, 2011
A warm and wonderful, lesson learning experience.
May 15, 2011
Not a movie for everyone. It's slow moving, and Giamatti really seems to be forcing his character, I think as a result of Pitt not being allowed enough screen time. Over all, like most films Giamatti is involved in, the story is rich with personifications, and the end is bittersweet.
½ May 1, 2011
Paul Giamatti cements himself once again as one of my favorite actors working today. At first, The Hawk Is Dying seems to show him portraying a character not unlike Miles from Sideways, but quickly his performance (and this movie) turns into something much more disturbing and quite dark. Here he's George Gattling, a rather lonely guy obsessed with training a hawk. When a tragedy strikes he becomes a nutcase in the eyes of everybody around him and it's to Giamatti's credit he makes it all work. His relationship with his timid sister, played to understated perfection by Rusty schwimmer, the way he acts like a father around her autistic son Fred (Michael Pitt) and especially, his involvement with Betty (Michelle Williams), a "psychology student acting like white trash" all help tremendously to create a portrait of a troubled man; who needs to do this one thing to feel complete; to feel like a man. It's one of the angriest (yet subtle) performances by any actor I've seen in a while. The breakdown on the telephone, the story about his grandfather's death... beautiful stuff. The ending moved me to tears and made me realise how connected I felt with this small but truly remarkable gem. Action-fans should stay clear but anybody interested in a character-study and some fantastic acting should give this one a try! Highly recommended!
½ October 9, 2010
I thought the acting was very good and the story was interesting, but for some reason, I just couldn't get into it.
March 31, 2010
Not one of the best I've seen but its up there. an interesting character study with great performances by both Paul Giamatti and Michael Pitt.
January 25, 2010
So, the premise is this: George desperately wants to train a hawk and, despite failing 4 times resulting in 4 separate hawk's deaths, he is confident that this time will be different. Sideplots involve the death of a handicapped nephew, his failure to earn respect and esteem of his peers, and a budding relationship with a junky college student. It's all quite bizarre, but it's also captivating if for no other reason than Giamatti's performance and the spectacle of a man's relationship with a hawk. The hawk is George's ticket to respect and its presence is an essential extension of his character, and depending on your ability to buy into that (even in strange amusement), the movie is pretty strong.
½ January 9, 2010
I liked this movie. Very realistic, sad, fabulous acting. The end definitely brought a tear to my eyes. Lovely hawks, as well. :D
½ October 14, 2009
Paul Giamatti still knows how to entertain as the plot continues on in this film.
September 9, 2009
paul giamatti is one of the great americam actors working today and he takes a lot of risks that often pay off, well this one is a little to out there for me. him and michelle williams play off each other well but as in michelle williams break out role in wendy and lucy im not exactly sure whats going on here. this is a definite art house pic, good performances around a strange story with really poor film work. worth seeing but not a must see
½ August 5, 2009
I liked the it because Paul Giamatti is an easy guy to watch. He's like your average everyman. He lends an intensity to all his roles. The consensus opinion is wrong. Yes the story isn't a happy fairytale that is watchable by all. It is also not so morose that it isn't interesting. It is a man trying to validate his life in a unique way in spite of lack of support from friends and family.
½ August 4, 2009
Giamatti is given a challenging performance by constantly carrying around a hawk. It's a strange film, but interesting because I've never seen something quite like it.
July 31, 2009
Very, very strange and definitely slow moving. I thought the symbolism was interesting, and I was very moved when I found out the why behind his fascination with hawks. Steer clear if you are easily bored and/or can't stand anything but usual Hollywood fare.
July 13, 2009
I'm a huge fan of writer Harry Crews, but I've yet to read the novel which this movie was based on. I don't know if this is a good adaptation, but I could feel Crews' presence in the untamed and raw emotion and the relentlessness of the main character, George Gattling (Giamatti). "The Hawk Is Dying" is a grim yet uplifting movie about obsession and madness. The movie might be a little patchy, but Paul Giamtti's unflinching performance alone is reason enough to watch it. It's a movie to either endure our enjoy. I enjoyed it, but the avarge moviegoer might find it hard to sit through.

Sad, beautiful, and as far as I can tell, classic Crews.
February 7, 2009
Some good moments, but I guess I´m just in bad need of a blockbuster movie than another indie-come-of-age.
½ November 19, 2008
Weird. Eccentric. But endearing. Enjoyed it.