The High Cost of Living - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The High Cost of Living Reviews

October 29, 2014
Braff and Blais were great in this movie, but there was too much depressing reality to make this very enjoyable.
September 18, 2014
3/5 --- Two strangers collide one nite and their present and future changes as the past catches up. A well acted movie with two character we get to delve into emotionally. Recommended for the story and life lesson. Zach Braff does it again!
January 12, 2014
Not particularly enjoyable, but vaguely intriguing. We knew the end from the beginning, but the setting in a bilingual city was a nice touch.
October 13, 2013
somewhat of a predictable story but with great acting by the two leads.
½ July 27, 2013
Really great film. Zach Braff, as in The Last Kiss, gives another superb performance. He really nails the emotionalism of his characters when needed.
March 2, 2013
Deeply moving film dealing with conscience, human connection, grief, loss, and trying to make amends. A very emotionally charged film with a story that gets you really involved with and caring about the characters. Zach Braff and Isabelle Blais give gripping performances, and the story is riveting.
March 2, 2013
Noooo! NO! This movie was just garbage in general. Now, I'll give it this, it was good for what it was, a tragedy, but not ONE hint of happiness, or hope, and such an abrupt ending, I got op and screamed. MUST AVOID UNLESS DRINKING GAMES ARE ACTIVE
bbcfloridabound
December 6, 2012
A film that more the likely you will not see in the theater unless you go to a film festival. This is one outstanding movie. Henry is a drug dealer in Canada, Nathalie is a women in a relationship that comes to an end when she is about to have a baby and Henry hits her with his car by accident. So stars a great love story with sad outcome. 5 stars for this one. 12-1-12
September 15, 2012
Good movie about humanity, suffering, and the need for redemption. This movie points out that life isn't all black and white, there is an area of gray that covers most human interaction. Zach Braff, and Isabelle Blais, do a fantastic job here. Very moving film. A perfect, and fitting ending, too....
September 9, 2012
I really liked this movie...I have no idea why not many others seemed to.
August 14, 2012
Braffs best after the Garden State!
hunterjt13
August 5, 2012
A drug dealer hits a pregnant woman and later befriends her.
As much as I like Zach Braff, I found it difficult to believe his performance as a drug dealer. The film doesn't follow his business workings too closely, and it's a good thing because the genial, charismatic Braff looks out of place with a five o'clock shadow and a cigarette. Most of the drama takes place between Braff's character and an inscrutable performance by Isabelle Blais. The result is a film that is remarkably improbable but also quite predictable.
Overall, I'm all for actors who expand their boundaries, but this is what it looks like what an experiment goes wrong.
½ July 31, 2012
Zach Braff and Isabelle Blais' performances keep the show running, but the film is still a bit mellow-Dramatic.
June 18, 2012
As a huge Zach Braff fan I was a little surprised High Cost of Living didn't get a wider release. It basically premiered in literally one or two theaters and some festivals, and thus few outside of Braff's fan base have heard about it, much less seen it. Braff is pretty exceptional in full on drama mode, even more dramatic than the Last Kiss and Garden State and without their moments of lighter charm to boot, and it's a strong role for him as a maturing actor. His main costar, Isabelle Blais, is not quite as good but still convincing as well, especially with what the script puts her through.

What the problem of the film is, and why it probably wasn't seen on a larger scale (besides there being a good chunk of it in French), is it's a little too indie for its own good. The general conceit of a man running over a pregnant woman in a hit and run, who then befriends and falls in love with her after she loses the child, is poorly contrived at worst or manipulatively heavy handed best. It would be very difficult to pull off for a veteran crew, and a near impossible task for a first-time writer-director. For their sake the actors make it work until it begins to break down towards the end, which of course has to be at least somewhat ambiguous because this is, after all, an independent. It also reminds me of Seven Pounds in some ways, in which a strong and unconventional central performance by a "star" had trouble overcoming the faulty storytelling, although at least Living never gets as emotionally overwrought. So despite some nice lead performances, the rest of the cast and skill behind the camera leave a lot to be desired, and while it does have some brilliant moments, as a whole it just can't quite fully sustain itself.
June 13, 2012
I loved this movie. It made me cry, cringe, and think. And see Zach Braff outside of his Scrubs role, in portraying a mostly unlikeable, almost unredeemable man.
June 12, 2012
Slow and improbable, circumstances leave you unable to sympathize with Braff's character.
June 3, 2012
If you can get over how these two would even connect, given the fact that one's background is past shady and the other's psyche is crushed under grief, this film is actually a reasonably well-balanced piece of regret, responsibility, truthfulness mourning and difficulty of moving on. The director does a solid job of stepping back and simply letting the story play itself out and the actors are spot on. The trouble is believing the two leads would be brought back together after the accident.
May 28, 2012
I don't understand all the low ratings. Original story and a solid ending.
May 26, 2012
This movie remind us, that we should be carefully while we are driving to be free and to make sure that kind of things are not happening with us and others.
May 25, 2012
So this movie has really bad reviews... I thought it had great acting - best I've seen from Zach Braff. Wasn't planning on watching it but it just came on my TV & I was drawn in immediately. Gorgeous film.