The High Cost of Living - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The High Cost of Living Reviews

April 8, 2012
Nothing special in my opinion. Not one you really need to see.
½ February 5, 2012
Not sure why so many people are hating on this movie. It's far from perfect but it's okay. It's cliche in many regards, but so are lots of other movies that don't even try as hard. Braff plays a small-time drug dealer who accidentally runs over a pregnant woman. He flees the scene and later sneaks into her life. Fairly original premise. I thought the mood of the movie was appropriate: very slow, dark, and downer. Braff is as toned down as I've ever seen him. Far more even than Garden State and The Last Kiss (great flick).

My biggest complaint is the cliche where he is going to tell her. He starts to tell her then she interrupts and he doesn't tell her. Damn, when are movie makers going to come up with another gimmick. This scene plays out in literally half of all romantic comedies. Maybe not literally as it could be more or less. But it is just that, a gimmick used to further drama. Well damn it, think of something else. Other than that, a nice, slow drama about an accident and how two people coped with it.
½ January 29, 2012
I enjoyed it. Shaky production but Zach Braff is always on.
January 22, 2012
"High Cost of Living" is a tale not many people will enjoy. It's a story about Henry(Zach Braff) who goes out one night and not paying attention while he drives he hits Nathalie(Isabelle Blais). Henry in a panic, leaves the scene of the accident. Nathalie happens to be pregnant and loses her baby. The rest of the movie is about how they deal with the accident, and how they begin a relationship with each other, even though Nathalie doesn't know what Henry did. Its an intriguing premise, but it's a pretty dull movie. Braff is great with these dramatic roles, which is funny considering he is known for "Scrubs" and it's great comedy. A bit of a warning, the movie is set in Montreal and there are a lot of subtitlles. I don't mind subtitles, but I had no idea this movie would be so French heavy. Although the subject is very dramatic, the movie never goes into medlodramtic territory. Instead it keeps a good realtistic balance. If you want to watch a low budget, hard drama, then you may like this. Otherwise, just skip, you can find a lot better.
January 20, 2012
If not for the lead performance of Isabelle Blais this would be an entirely forgettable film. It tries hard, but The High Cost of Living is painfully indie at times and will not be to the liking of most movie streamers.
January 18, 2012
A bit far fetched, but the performances are solid and the premise is still pretty interesting. I did enjoy the atmosphere and tone of the film too. I also liked how the story unfolded and the idea of trying to achieve redemption, even under the most horrific of circumstances.
½ January 15, 2012
the storyline is implausible but the actors do a brilliant job of conveying the emotions.
½ January 14, 2012
Hermosa película en la cual se muestra que toda acción en nuestra vida tiene un efecto, una reacción, el alto costo de vivir, recomendable
January 1, 2012
Deeply thought provoking story that is well told; bravo Canada!
December 30, 2011
Exceptionally honest performances from the stars and with an excellent attention to detail, the juxtaposition of two very different lives through both scene choices and cinematography comes together to create a jarring reiteration of a well known trope.
December 27, 2011
A beautiful movie. Its lingering unfolding is not distancing, but instead gently and humanely reveals the trauma of forgiveness. This film could be described as the inevitable manifestation of a staged scenario, but to say so would entirely miss the point. Not a scene felt superfluous, the acting felt real, and the stilted conversation felt more like life than almost any I've seen on the screen.
½ December 23, 2011
A moderately budgeted indie, this borders between contrived and poignant. Gritty, dark cinematography, set in French Canada which provides an interesting backdrop, story of life choices and possibilities gone wrong. Should you see it? Eh...maybe. If you like indies or Zach Braff.
½ December 6, 2011
It has a lot of promise. A good premise good actors who convey emotion. But too many things sink this film. Slow pacing unanswered questions characters who pop in but then pop out with no real conclusion. It could of been something if they gave the film another hour maybe it could of done more.
November 29, 2011
This is not a comedy for those who think that because it has Zach Braff in it that its going to be like Scrubs or something. A Montreal drug dealer is involved in a hit and run accident where he accidentally runs down a pregnant woman who as a result of the accident loses her baby, while she herself survives. The dealer (Braff) discovers that she lives, and that he is responsible for the death of the baby, and secretly tries to help the woman without her knowing that he was the hit and run driver. An intense movie.
½ November 18, 2011
A decent idea is pulled through with great performances, minus the bad dialogue in the climactic scene. Zach Braff and Isabelle Blais have an interesting chemistry on screen. We don't want them to be lovers, but instead we want him to help her through everything. The accident was his fault, yet he still feels compelled to go back and help out the woman even though he could be discovered to be the driver of the hit and run. In the beginning we think that he might not be such a bad guy, he's just doing the wrong things. We hear him say that he only deals in prescription drugs (still bad, but better than heroin I guess). We also hear him talk about doing it to help his friend so that she doesn't lose her child. Again, these are not good things to do, but he's doing them with the right intention. Not until he finds the woman he hit earlier in the film does he actually start doing the right things. Braff does a great job of pulling his character through this change. Blais also has a tough job of pulling her character through a story where she doesn't know where to go, but she chooses to be with a guy who happens to be nice to her at the time. She goes from not so happy with her husband at the baby shower to depressed, and it keeps going downhill until she meets Braff's character at the bar. It reminded me of Another Earth in the idea that the person wants to help the person whose life they ruined. But The High Cost of Living is smarter about it. There doesn't need to be a romance, just a friendship. He grows to love her and wants to legitimately take care of her rather than just clear his conscience. She needs him to help her get through losing her baby and her husband. They need each other. No romance needs to blossom. Love doesn't always mean a romantic relationship forms. Even with the kiss, I think it was just a moment of happiness for her that she got carried away. Obviously that's not what either really wanted. If only the scene when he goes to talk to her was better written! "I came back for you. I'm going to jail for you." Really? Is that the best you can have him say? After all of that? And we know exactly where the story is going as soon as the accident happens. However, the strong performances and chemistry between the leads is what really makes The High Cost of Living worth watching.
November 12, 2011
Anything with or including Zach Braff has my highest appreciation. I just love the man
November 4, 2011
Tough, but decent movie... It is weird watching JD order a Whiskey...
November 4, 2011
Zach Braff showed some true acting skills in a movie that needed more people to do the same. It was trying to be too dramatic to the point it came off fake. Maybe because I wanted to see this so much that I was let down. Maybe I will have to watch it again later to see if I feel any different.
October 10, 2011
Good cast plot just wasn't there.