The History Of Future Folk - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The History Of Future Folk Reviews

½ February 21, 2016
A quintessential "Netflix Movie". History of Future Folk is a quirky low budget absurdity of a film. It's one of those films that no Hollywood studio would ever pay money to create but that some Indy studio has would pour it's life and soul into. Sadly History of Future leaves the viewer unsatisfied. At least the film isn't quite as bad as the songs it revolves around!
½ December 23, 2015
"HONDO" is all need be said.
½ November 28, 2015
Possibly the worst movie I have seen in more than a year
October 24, 2015
A Netflix pick of the week. A quirky and goofy movie that will make you love space aliens and folk music!
October 13, 2015
While I love a good indie film, especially ones that involve music and are made with passion, I found that the bare bones script, poor acting and bland direction let this film down. The real life duo, Future Folk, lend their musical talents to the movie, and any time they are performing, the screen lights up, but a movie about aliens that come to destroy earth but end up falling in love with music should have been a lot more entertaining. The film has a lot of heart, no doubt about that, but I just couldn't get over how predictable everything felt, despite the bold premise. Given that the film only grossed $15, 000, it is no surprise it was shot on next to no budget, but none of my problems with the film have to do with the production side of things. In fact, I loved the costumes, the setting and the cheap visual effects. I just need a bit more story out of my films. Only check this out if there is nothing better on Netflix or you love a good movie soundtrack. 2 out of 5 stars.
½ September 1, 2015
Good natured, sincere, funny, artistic.
½ July 15, 2015
Bluegrass playing aliens! What could be better?
July 12, 2015
Amazingly touching on no budget. Hondo!
½ June 27, 2015
It's really difficult to say the plot of this movie without also wincing and making excuses. A general from another planet, sent here to kill the inhabitants of Earth in order to make room for his fellow facing-imminent-peril Hondonians, discovers music and changes his mind. Excuses would be superfluous, though, because this movie is wonderful.
There are next to no special effects. Aside from the occasional laser beam or rocketship, the main visual that alien's are even involved is the jumpsuits they wear, complete with a bucket-esque helmet. The action sequences, too, are distilled, all the way down to a single karate chop that apparently has the power to knock someone out. The minimalism shown is what really makes this film. The focus lies not on the fantastical story but on the complex feelings that arise when being forced to choose between your old home and new.
D'Aulaire gives the movie gravity while Klaitz helps it soar. They clearly feel comfortable with each other the way that bandmates after a decade should. All in all, it's just plain fun. Definitely a movie to watch.
½ June 10, 2015
WOW what a delightfully quirky comedy for adults! Cute Maisie from "What Maisie Knew" has grown up and good to know she can still act too :) #netflixgem
May 22, 2015
found it on netflix expecting it to be a run of the mill corny sci-fi, fell in love with it and would totally have it on my top ten list. this is the coolest way to get people into your band.
April 3, 2015
Love this delightful flick. Comedy, music, outer space...it's as if they know me! Saving the world with blue grass, banjo, guitar...of course!
March 29, 2015
A Very, very tale of sci fi. Must see!
March 19, 2015
Best Sci-fi musical since An American Astronaut!
March 13, 2015
Probably the greatest Film in the history of either Hondo or Earth!
March 5, 2015
a really good little sci-fi film!
March 1, 2015
The low budget rarely hurts this highly inventive film, loaded with charm and some great tunes. However, the story may be a bit too rushed or unbelievable for some.
February 21, 2015
One of the sweetest movies I have seen in a long time.
February 17, 2015
A suprisinly fun and entertaining film with some very serious cult classic potential. I never realised that I love intergalactic bluegrass until I experienced Future Folk, now I am hooked on it! I bought the album the moment the credits started rolling... 5/5 Stars from me.
December 28, 2014
What can I say about this movie? Absolutely nothing negative! I loved every second of it, and every element of it. What a wonderful and original tale of Captain Trius from Hondo. Who could every believe his wild tale of eliminating the entire race with a viral bomb?! No one, especially those at a little bar (ran by Dee Snider) where he plays his stories in song. But like any animosity, your past catches up with you. And there always comes a time, when you must save the world!