The History Of Future Folk Reviews

• Sep 08, 2017

Wicked clever and hilarious. Pinnacle of indie style. It's funny, real, and well made.

• Jun 28, 2017

The History of Future Folk is apparently a film that shares the backstory of an actual musical comedy duo named Future Folk. There are moments in the film where they are on stage and I think they are performing parts of their real-life act, and it works brilliantly in the context of this movie. The film shows us that all the things audiences have laughed about in their comedy routine are actually what is happening to them. It makes for a great juxtaposition because the main characters are taking everything dead serious, and yet we see the silliness behind it all. The music is great, and it adds to the narrative story as well. The History of Future Folk is also loaded with heart. The characters are sympathetic and you can see General Trius and Kevin’s affection for the women they love, for music, and for Earth in general. The story is silly, but it’s also kind of exciting. There are some tense moments, and I actually started to worry about what would happen. It’s just amazing how they took such a ridiculous concept and managed to get me deeply engaged in the story. The History of Future Folk is a lesser-known movie that I think more people should check out, because it goes above and beyond what you’d expect from a goofy movie based on a stand-up routine.

• Mar 05, 2017

Surprisingly wonderful and funnny

Surprisingly wonderful and funnny

• Feb 21, 2016

A quintessential "Netflix Movie". History of Future Folk is a quirky low budget absurdity of a film. It's one of those films that no Hollywood studio would ever pay money to create but that some Indy studio has would pour it's life and soul into. Sadly History of Future leaves the viewer unsatisfied. At least the film isn't quite as bad as the songs it revolves around!

• Dec 23, 2015

"HONDO" is all need be said.

"HONDO" is all need be said.

• Nov 28, 2015

Possibly the worst movie I have seen in more than a year

Possibly the worst movie I have seen in more than a year

• Oct 24, 2015

A Netflix pick of the week. A quirky and goofy movie that will make you love space aliens and folk music!

• Oct 13, 2015

While I love a good indie film, especially ones that involve music and are made with passion, I found that the bare bones script, poor acting and bland direction let this film down. The real life duo, Future Folk, lend their musical talents to the movie, and any time they are performing, the screen lights up, but a movie about aliens that come to destroy earth but end up falling in love with music should have been a lot more entertaining. The film has a lot of heart, no doubt about that, but I just couldn't get over how predictable everything felt, despite the bold premise. Given that the film only grossed $15, 000, it is no surprise it was shot on next to no budget, but none of my problems with the film have to do with the production side of things. In fact, I loved the costumes, the setting and the cheap visual effects. I just need a bit more story out of my films. Only check this out if there is nothing better on Netflix or you love a good movie soundtrack. 2 out of 5 stars.

• Sep 01, 2015

Good natured, sincere, funny, artistic.

Good natured, sincere, funny, artistic.

• Jul 15, 2015

Bluegrass playing aliens! What could be better?

Bluegrass playing aliens! What could be better?