Reviews

• Nov 29, 2021

Absolutely delightful. Fun, funny, and wow, such good music. Love that acoustic stuff and that banjo, and Mighty Kevin has a lovely, strong, melodious tenor.

• Jun 22, 2021

While this film isn't exactly Oscar material... it's fun, different, and uniquely wholesome. I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would, what a ride... These two dudes just found a new fan. Hondo!

• Mar 22, 2021

A quirky movie with catchy tunes, fusing an overall light-hearted sci-fi family story with some more depressing or even creepy vibes.

• Jan 28, 2021

It's ok, but not really worth the time. I think the band's big NY following swayed the reviews.

• Jan 25, 2021

You just gotta love a funny, little, musical sci fi film like The History of Future Folk on Netflix. The setup reads: An Alien ordered to colonize earth abandons his mission when he hears music for the first time and is determined to save his adopted planet. Being an avid fan of sci fi, I've endured, even suffered through many a low budget attempt at science fiction where the all the very slooow action takes place in a dark and claustrophobic soundstage masquerading as a spaceship or a warehouse impersonating a lab/outpost on another planet. What makes The History of Future Folk so good is that it makes no attempt to hide its small budget and wears its cheesy costumes and props right there on its sleeve. And that's what makes it so funny. The film never takes itself seriously, but backed by a clever and tight screenplay, the cast of talented actor/musical performers never play it for laughs and are always deadly serious in spite of the ridiculous props, costumes – something crucial to every good comedy. And unlike most indie films, THOFF is never slow. The story and action are a fast-moving train that keeps you amused and delighted until the very end. It's a real gem.

• Jan 25, 2021

This was a delightfully charming movie that had me smiling and laughing throughout. It had sci-fi, romance, music, drama, and more without overthinking any of it. It proves you don't need a large budget to make a great film. Just a great story and great execution. Wonderful family film !!!

• Jan 09, 2021

Great little family movie with toe-tapping music.

Great little family movie with toe-tapping music.

• Jan 05, 2021

Quirky, funny, low budget, the most fun movie I've seen in a long time. I suspect that the 2 main actors are more musicians than actors, the songs are pretty good and they are really playing and singing. Some good light-hearted fun.

• Jan 04, 2021

Near the beginning of this movie the father tells his daughter a story of an alien who comes to Earth with a gun that had a magic potion that would put everyone on Earth to sleep. Now even though the alien fell in love with music so he never used the gun, I do know what he did with the magic potion. He turned it into a movie called The History of Future Folk and sold it to Netflix. Unless you really like banjos this is guaranteed to cure insomnia.

• Jan 03, 2021

Great story, characters, music & low-budget in all the best ways.

Great story, characters, music & low-budget in all the best ways.