Charlie Valentine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charlie Valentine Reviews

½ July 14, 2014
Expected more, was a disapointment. Watched it because of Weatherly
February 4, 2014
The Scenes In The Strip-Clubs Were About As Entertaining As It Got.. All The Rest Was A Try-Hard 'Dad Makes Good With Son' Story That Felt Totally Convoluted, Haphazard Hop-Har!
½ April 30, 2013
Holy fuck was this movie bad. Nothing about it was good. The acting was piss-poor, the directing was terrible, the action scenes were pure "amateur hour". I don't know what else there is to say. I have no idea how this movie ended up on my computer, but I watched it, and I will never get the time back that I wasted watching this piece of crap. DAMN YOU JESSE V JOHNSON!
January 15, 2013
Some of the minor characters do come off as wooden, but Barry and Weatherly bring their roles to gritty fruition admirably. Personally, I gave this movie an hour and a half of my time, and I was glad that I did. There are definitely scenes and sequences in this one that make it worth the watch and the main characters are engaging enough to keep you interested. For me, this movie was a bit of a diamond in the rough among a slew of straight to DVD stinkers that I'm most likely thankful I've already forgotten.
½ September 15, 2012
Pretty good movie. Decent. Cool, kinda funny, with good performance from Barry, and an interesting performance from NCIS's Weatherly.
June 21, 2011
Not an Upscale Gangster Flick, quite predictable.Bit disappointed, was Jonesing for a Gangster Fix.Although it was great to see Steven Bauer still Looking Good
June 11, 2011
Storytelling was all over the place, definitely not a good start for Michael Weatherly. Not even worth watching on "free" TV.
April 15, 2011
Watched it. It was very average old time gangster runs aways from big job that went bad and then gets his family involved and its just down hill from there. Not recommended to anyone
½ April 10, 2011
There are standout moments within the mess of it all, but the film ultimately fails to be anything out of the ordinary due largely to a lack of focus and superfluous side stories.
February 11, 2011
A old school tough gangster, is forced out of town with his gang on his tail, he holds up with his son who is also living the criminal life but at a smaller level, but instead of warning him of the life he teaches him to rise the ranks, and with thius getting involved in the crimeworld there, a interesting portrayal of a father and son relationship, raymond j barry as charlie is exellent, really bringing out a old timer whos still got it, ive never really seen him as far as i know, although probely have, the film runs well, with violence and good drama throughout, a nice suprise, a film i knew nothing about and glad for the watch
½ January 6, 2011
didnt quite get the plot
½ November 22, 2010
Gritty and intense. A realistic look at the life of a hitman. No flashy or ridiculous, over-the-top sequences.
October 30, 2010
One sentence to describe my opinion of this film is: this film is frigging awesome!!! It is a must have film for your collection because ths film has delicious shootout espically the finale that will leave you smiling because it is actually the truest meaning of what "Charlie Valentine" is all about but I cannot tell you; it will ruin your surprise of understanding so... This film has great dialogue: simple and brutal and heartless but fun and rootful for 'em! The acting is there but it is not enough but it is entertaining to see how it stretch with enough strength of evidence that these actors can prove that they can act with ease at will of their own is a cool treat! The action sequences is the real 80's style king that will have you drooling to attempt to go rent some 80's fun action flicks! I really enjoy this simple but complex hitman film because it comes with heart but fill it with bullets.
October 28, 2010
about time, a movie for MEN.
sex violence money and double crossing just what i needed
October 24, 2010
Much more good than bad, but the bad is pretty distracting.

Though the cinematography is slick and attractive, the editing is extremely flawed. This leaves the film disjointed and choppy; certain scenes become complete non-sequiturs, some of the action gets muddy, and jump cuts occasionally get ahead of themselves. Another round in the editing room could seriously improve the storytelling, because the right elements for an extremely compelling and rewarding character drama are there, they're just poorly communicated. The structure of something great is present, but it isn't filled out.

My second biggest problem was Raymond J. Barry. He was dull and often awkward as the eponymous gangster, there's only the occasional flash of the charisma and appeal his character is supposed to have. He delivers almost all his dialogue in an unsteady, disinterested mumble, and gritty realism may be unintelligible, but realism of that kind certainly puts a damper on the plot and characterisation. The other actors were uniformly excellent, (especially Michael Weatherly who shone with genuine brilliance every time he was given half a chance), though none of them have quite as much to do as they should. Danny and Charlie's Parole Officer both needed more development as individuals and a little more background would have helped the father/son relationship a lot.

Give me a reason why Danny admires Charlie so much and I would have been more willing to go along for the ride with them. Their reunion and Charlie's allure and charm as a successful gangster was rushed past and barely present, respectively. Danny's first defining character trait is uneasiness with authority and a fervent desire to remain out of prison. Why does he then turn around and become a disciple of his father without any kind of intermediate process of rationalisation? Yes, he wants to hold on to his father at any cost, but where is the indecision and what about Charlie's behaviour resolves him? As it was, his hero worship and abandonment issues must be extrapolated and his anger with his father is more prominent than the idealisation that makes him want to follow in the old man's footsteps. I know where the story is coming from, because it is such a classic story, but I would have preferred to actually see it on the screen instead of inferring it.

Basically, a clearer emotional progression was needed for Danny and frankly, I didn't find Charlie likeable enough for his place in the story to function. He's despicable, but he should be charmingly despicable and I was not convinced he was charming.
October 21, 2010
GREAT father son gangster flick.Usually in these type of movies, The fathers in the mob & the son wants to follow in his footsteps but the father does his best to keep him out of it.NOT in this movie.Charlie Valentine tries to help his son up the ladder.Awesome!
September 12, 2010
A sub-par gangster film about an aging gangster who doesn't know when to die VERDICT: Allot like Beat Takashi's Brother only...not good.
½ August 28, 2010
Great acting, interesting concept and fantastic cast. Not sure if I would call this a must see but it most definitely isn't a waste of time and if you get the chance you should check it out.