The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Reviews

½ June 23, 2017
The movie was great. One critique:

Kili/Tauriel was not needed and ruined the third film. Tauriel was already a very cool character, but by pushing her into a very forced love triangle was stupid, a very stupid move.
It's blindingly obvious that Jackson wanted to copy and paste the charming Aragorn/Arwen romance but Kili was the wrong guy to chose it at all. The only reason he was the guy was because he was one of the first top names and pushed in the first two movies as the "attractive dwarf" even though his personality was your basic "I'm the young prince who wants to be cool and prove himself!" And it's tired.

Bottom line: the romance was dumb and added very unnecessary padding to this and the third film.
However if you like it then that's fine! It wasn't done bad, it just didn't feel right.
Overall this was a great movie. Too bad it didn't end here and decided to end with a very sad fizzle.
½ June 16, 2017
While feeling obligated to be "fan service", this middle chapter on middle earth is a vastly entertaining and tense sequel that offers one of the greatest creations by state of the art special effects, Cumberbatch's Smaug.
June 4, 2017
A great film but not much of azog
½ June 1, 2017
I am fire... I am death... I am.... getting killed off in the first scene of the next film.
½ June 1, 2017
This movie was the Hobbit's strong point. The story of the Desolation of Smaug was developed far greater than the other two. Bard was my favorite part he is a man who helps the town more than the town master and cares for his familly and the protectoin of Laketown. Smaug was by far the best dragon ever and he struck as a very evil and clever creature in this movie which the book did not do as well. The dramatic closing of this movie made a spactacular leave off for the concluding movie.
May 30, 2017
The second half of this film serves as the best this trilogy has to offer...and it is merely ok. Overall, less than what we hoped for, but Smaug does dazzle.
May 27, 2017
Smaug is one of the greatest villains in recent history.
May 15, 2017
Though it does suffer from the same issues present in the first film as well as the issues in the original trilogy this is still on the whole a well crafted, engrossing and epic film that has solid spectacle and a more fast paced plot unlike the first film. The cast is also expanded upon, the plot gains momentum and it relies somewhat less on exposition. It also looks great, the score is majestic once again and the special effects though more about CGI than practical is nonetheless impressive.
May 8, 2017
This was actually a rather entertaining experience! I'm amazed at the extraordinary attention to detail and excellent filming techniques...although it lacks in Emotional Resonance.
The performances were brilliant, the screenplay was awesome and it was beautifully written & directed by Peter Jackson, all of which rounds up to a splendid movie!
½ April 29, 2017
Oh dear, this movie has so much padding that it's ready to play some ice hockey. It makes the fatal mistake of turning into fan fiction with the added filler rather than properly adaptating the book and ending it here. Though the action sequences can be entertaining they go on for far too long and become ridiculous and detrimental to the film's staggering bloat. The Kili/Tauriel/Legolas love triangle is just horrible and forced. This installment is what derailed The Hobbit trilogy.
April 25, 2017
Great film. Super fantasy. I loved it.
½ April 22, 2017
This movie has some issues, but overall it's almost as amazing as the first part.
½ April 19, 2017
Decent action packed adventure
April 6, 2017
too much plot, too many characters, choppy special effects, and way too long. apparently I'm the only one who really didn't like this.. Oh well!
½ March 26, 2017
When we can recall the first time seeing some people calling on their help when they were needed at the right time. When we see the importance of what we are seeing to do it for others. When what we see we hide when dangers lurk. When what others see they wish to kill. When what we see we can't see when they are shape shifters that can change. When all we want to see is war and destruction when somethings stand in our way. When we see the right people up for the task. When we see others hunt for sport. When we see dangers all around to not know when death would come to places not many go to. When what we don't kill, we see growing into an army. When we see such things that grow are too evil to side with. When such places we see we need to be equipped and ready for the dark dangers that lurk. When what we don't need to see but feel know is growing. When we see such evils return to know it is hidden and unseen that is beyond others yo voyage but a few with powers. When we thst we only have one chance to do some things. When others see other things in us when we have changed but don't know  but us. When we see some change is heading our way when something has been growing ready to takeover.

When we see that following some paths take us in circles that we need to see from a different view to know the direction. When somethings we see we hide from when they see us as food. When we see we must fight our way when they over power us. When we see that holding on to somethings over power us when we can see evil in what others can't see but us to know it consumes us. When somethings thst see us, gates us when we have a past but same enemy to know what is important. When what we see we take from when we have been seen as thieves, to be open into our doors first. When what we see we like but font show it. When we see alot to notice what is going on between others. When we see that relations between us have been bad in the oast yo not see scars of what costs we gave suffered in the hands of our enemies. When we see that we cannot let the past down to trade anything away for it. When we see we must imprison those whom disobey. When we see another way when they don't deserve imprisonment when we see the same thing but our prides get in the way. When we see others are harmless and not what is told unto us about some people to see others differently and have our ears, eyes and mouth and attention. When what we see we keep an eye on.

When we wish not to be seen we hide when we don't know where things are heading when greater things are heading our way. When we see how such pasts can shape the future when we see how loathed we are regarded. When we see we must get those out to safety. When we see away out thst others can't see to steer clear of danger and get out another way. When we see how others get out to only follow. When we see we are trapped to only be saved by what threatens us and others to fight our way out. When we see we are not just hanging on to the ride but fighting our way on a ride. When we see whom had our back when we needed it. When we don't see such evils to only know it is a servant of evil, 1 of 9. When some people we see we must meet to seek their help in dark times to go through far lengths and places to reach. When we see cannot let others slow us down when we are being chased. When we see we must rid all trespassers to only wish help for trade. When there is nothing more we want to see but our death to see we are threatened by something greater. When we see we must help those when they are hurt to offer a cure. When we see we are not dealing with some things that don't want peace but war to value life, but death.

When we see we value money, when we are a business man. When we see sail safe passages unseen when we are risking alot. When we see that in some places we are governed and live on little when we have a unkind king. When we see that people are not valued as much as we see them to know we provide peace and could provide rioting if things are seen going a certain direction.

When we see that everything comes at a cost when times are hard and everything is of value even our head. When what we see we don't know or see through the eyes of a child's wonder. When what we see is a reminder of a past tale we were told, that have many interpretations. When what we see we don't know if we can withstand when we are not properly equipped. When what we see, others dont see, but others could see that we prefer them hiding. When some prophecies and tales that are told are true when we see the signs to stop those before it's too late. When we see that others have our backs to follow behind us. When some things are easy to see when they are noticeably loud to stop them in their tracks. When we see that we must do somethings when we can restore everything that was once lost. When we can see others have failed when they were related to us and see that in such places it is needed but the risks of failure could cost everything. When we only see that we value the riches of some ventures to welcome visitors. When we see that we are in the company of a king and brave fighters to see to victory. When we see others can't come when they are ill. When we see that others have our backs and see to our recovery. When we must see others for help again when they once opened their doors to us know they can help us when nobody else would. When what nobody else sees how unalienable we are when we help or don't help to only want somethings only. When we see we arrived to some places where evil remains, to see an entrance in. When what we see once promising and flourishing now brought to ruins. When somethings we see remain hidden and unseen when it's covered in the abandonments of its own ruins. When we don't see somethings but prepared for anything to see through any evil tricks. When we see others have been waiting for us. When what we see we put to good use in finding passage. When we see that not many can enter when we carry the only key. When we can't see away in when we lose the light. When we see when we regain the right light with the right eyes to see to we get in. When we never thought we would see past the wall of places we long left again. When it's everything that we imagine seeing when we are told about it. When somethings we don't see are revealed to us when our purpose is to see to it that we retrieve it. When somethings we are told we wish not to see. When we see somethings are more powerful then we ours. When somethings that we remain hidden, we see in plain sight. When we wish not to be seen to hide. When we allow the vary evil to see us to rationalize, but it too is consumed by the greed to remain to see anyone as trying to take its possessions away. When what they can't see, they see and know all to well when evil is everywhere to see. When we see we only have one shot when things awaken and are out for us, to see to it that our aim is true. When what we see as trouble we put a stop to. When what we don't see, but what others reveal to us we don't see past our own desires that steer our past in peril to only suffer the same fate. When what we have others dont see, when it's the answer we need to save those. When we see we must stop those from reaching some places before it's too late to have their back. When what others with powers don't see, they destroy when it's darkness that they only see in others. When what we see, we can't let others suffer such fates to save them. When we must go unseen to avoid such dangers. When we don't see somethings being true when somethings are impossible when we are in different places to only see the vision of what consumes us in how much we would love for things we see to be true.

When what we can't see, but see it when it's too late that we feel and want to see more. When we see ourselves get greedier it consumes us that we want more of. Whether we don't see our greed for more power, more wealth, more honour, more possessions and a kingdom. When we should see greed in restoring peace and good to not see such things. When we don't see somethings happening to see that the end happens with a fight. When somethings we see they are there and others not there to have our backs. When we see some tasks are too much for one to handle alone.
March 26, 2017
B
It's just as structurally uneven as the first film, but the focus is tighter and Jackson's respectful direction is amiable.
March 26, 2017
More spectacular special effects, great scenes and an extraordinary cinematography obscured by unnecessary sequences, meaningless characters and a lengthening of history that only makes us think that Peter Jackson can not find the way to cover those 3 hours of film that must cover with a 300 page book for children.
March 15, 2017
The Hobbit, The Desolation of Smaug, is a film based on the classic novel by J.R.R Tolkien. The movie features big name actors like Benedict Cumberbatch, Ian McKlellan, and Martin Freeman. This movie features the company of Thorin Oakensheild continuing their quest to reclaim their homeland under the lonely mountain. During this book the company journeys to great lengths, constantly hunted by orcs. The company is faced with many challenges including crossing through Mirkwood, a dark dreary forest that drives one mad. While there, they encounter problems through the rest of the journey to the long lake. The editing, costume design and acting is exceptional in this film, except for some parts coming off a bit dry. For example, some of the dwarves seem almost bipolar sometimes.The soundtrack of the movie also is great, it brings scenes together. Just like in Tolkien's book, there are also songs included and sung by the actors in the movie. Overall this movie was thoroughly interesting, draws you into the relationships of the characters. It may be 2 hours and 30 minutes long, but it feels as if you are watching an hour and a half long movie.Overall, I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone who is looking for an action filled, well scripted film that will grab their attention and get them involved with the plot.
March 15, 2017
In the beginning of the film we see a flashback with Thorin and Gandalf, clarifying the spark of the journey. This would've been a good scene in the first movie, but I appreciate it all the same. To me, the action seemed to be lacking in the previous movie in the trilogy, then it was all squashed into its sequel and the middle movie,The Desolation of Smaug. While there was more action, it lacked plot. The original meaning of the movie seemed to be an after thought. Sure we still see Bilbo transform into the hero in our story, but it lacks reason as it is all compressed into a few battle scenes in a single movie. Another thing Jackson (director) seemed to rush is the bond formed between Bilbo and the ring. Bilbo's obsession with the ring is supposed to grow throughout movie visibly, but we only see him use it during battle. Otherwise, I found the second movie relatively enjoyable, or at least an improvement from the first.
½ March 10, 2017
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition Review:

Second installment in the Hobbit trilogy continues from the first. New characters and learning things about old characters. Nice cliffhanger to look forward to the final film.