The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Reviews

½ July 22, 2016
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: This eye-popping second installment of The Hobbit film trilogy is certainly a step up from the first, in terms of action and plot, but it is just so long (2 hours, 41 minutes) that all but the most diehard fans will be yawning well before its cliffhanger "ending." Still, it is entertaining, and visually, it is stunning, with loads of the usual mind-numbing, CGI special effects. B
½ July 20, 2016
It's like the Star Wars prequels, thrown together to make money and way to much CGI...
½ July 17, 2016
Maybe someday they'll make a movie based on JRR Tolkien's book, "The Hobbit."
July 16, 2016
Should be 1/2 a star or less, but I wanted the awful rating to show.

Absolutely awful. Tolkien must be spinning in his grave. And Peter Jackson should be ashamed for how he so perverted such a great story just so they could drive dump truck loads of money up to his door.
July 15, 2016
Just too long for a movie that ends in a cliffhanger.
½ July 13, 2016
This movie was great! Really fun, interesting, and was better than the first! Not quite 5 stars but better than just 4.
July 13, 2016
The best of the trilogy but still fails in most of the ways Lord of the Rings succeeds.
July 11, 2016
The hobbit movies are slow going but very well made, I'm a very patient person (I read warriors and eragon) I really don't mind the slow pace I actually enjoy having all three movies instead of just one.
July 9, 2016
Fun and exciting but I couldn't help but feel a little unsatisfied leaving the theater, proving that this movie series should only be 2 at the most.
½ July 7, 2016
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug was my second most anticipated movie of the year (first being Man of Steel). I totally adored the Lord of the Rings trilogy and I am one of the only people who really loved the first Hobbit movie to death. I had extremely high expectations for this movie. It had incredible trailers and posters, and has to live up to one of my favourite movies. Well, I'm super excited to say, that The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is a totally amazing blast at the movies!

ACTING: As always, the acting in this movie is spit-spot perfect. Martin Freeman is perfect to play Bilbo Baggins. Ian McKellen is awesome as Gandalf, and the rest of the cast are awesome. Orlando Blooms returns and does a great job as Legolas, and the newcomer, Evangeline Lilly is pretty bad-ass. Now, for the most important thing... Benedict Cumberbatch does an OUTSTANDING job as Smaug. I couldn't have imagined it any better. His voice was so evil and so powerful that the theatre literally shook.

EFFECTS/CINEMATOGRAPHY: Holy crap. This movie had some of the best special effects I've ever seen. It is tied with Gravity for the best effects of the year. The coolest part, however, was definitely Smaug. Smaug is not only the best dragon ever put to the screen, but is the best designed CGI creature EVER. Period. Some scenes that really stood out with the cinematography are the spider scene and the incredible barrel scene.

DIRECTING/SCREENPLAY/STORY: I was very content with how Peter Jackson executed the timeless story. It was much darker and had more action than the first movie. It was very well directed, with a brisk pace that made the movie feel much shorter than it was. It was well written in most parts, but got a little silly in some scenes. It was pretty respectful to the book, while adding a ton of new stuff! The new characters were pretty interesting and the added storyline was pretty helpful to the movie.

OVERALL: In total, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is a totally awesome and epic sequel that should be seen by all movie fans!

RATING: 9.5/10
July 3, 2016
Sir Peter Jackson's blockbuster second entry in his epic cinematic prequel trilogy adaptation of J.R.R Tolkien's classic novel "The Hobbit," is a big, bold, beautiful triumph that exceeded my expectations. Jackson's new sequel continues the cinematic success of the first film with a thrilling, fun extravagance that moves faster, and provides a great deal more story progression, it begins where the last film left off with our diminutive hairy-footed heroic Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, played wonderfully and with great charm by Martin Freeman, still tagging along with and the not-so-merry band of dwarves led by Thorin Oakensheid, intensely played by Richard Armitage who are all on a quest to free their mountain kingdom from the monstrous, fire-breathing dragon Smaug. Bilbo is beginning to struggle with evil effects from the ring of power, and it's greed. The wizard Gandalf the Grey, brilliantly played by Sir Ian McKellen, and a kindly boatman, nicely played by Luke Evans will help them get to their destination. But their journey will not get any easier in this film for they will have to face a series of deadly challenges, like giant man-eating spiders, murderous Orcs, nasty and suspicious elves, and of course, the film's show-stopping scene-stealer, the gargantuan and deadly dragon Smaug, superbly voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch. Indeed Smaug is a fearsomely realistic CGI masterwork of visual effects artistry that is truly dazzling. Sir Peter Jackson's masterful direction keeps this film engaging and entertaining, there is also nice bits of humor and some fine supporting performances from Orlando Bloom, who makes a welcome return as the elf archer warrior Legolas, and Evangeline Lilly as young female elf warrior named Tauriel. The meticulous craftsmanship and technological achievements of this epic are spellbinding, as are the other amazing visual effects. The extraordinary cinematography by Andrew Lesnie. and Howard Shore's score which is beautifully evocative. If you enjoyed the first film, you will love this film even more, which is filled with great drama, fine acting, intense action, and stunning visual effects. The exciting cliffhanger ending will leave you salivating for more. Highly Recommended.
June 29, 2016
No it doesn't stick perfectly to the book but it tells the same story in an interesting and compelling fashion. I absolutely enjoy this movie and I think that if you come at it simply wanting to be entertained, then you will too.
½ June 28, 2016
even the effects couldn't keep me awake through the whole thing,I'd hoped for so much more,what a let down
June 28, 2016
Peter Jackson does it again. amazing special effects and every drop of the story squeezed out and more. Extended version is a must see.
June 28, 2016
I loved it! This movie added great details to Tolkiens magnificent works of art!
nothing like the book
June 28, 2016
This movie as excellent, everything you could possibly want and more, 5 out of 5.
June 28, 2016
Very great and worthy movie.
middle earth Hobbits dragons