The Hole in the Ground Reviews

• Mar 24, 2020

Soooooooo creepy. The movie features on a single young mother who gets a desolate new house in Ireland with her young son. One day while jogging in the woods she discovers a giant hole in the ground and advises her son to not go out by himself. If course he does and when he comes back he's not the same. It's little things at first, slight mb mannerisms and the way he reacts to spiders and other kids he used to hate. But as things get increasingly strange she decides to confront him with truly terrifying consequences. The movie is a slow burn to be sure but it's very well done and undoubtedly suspenseful. It all leads up to a nightmarish finale that's worth the wait. Fine performances and confident direction highlight this great piece of genre. 4/5

• Mar 14, 2020

I don't like rating films if I haven't watched the whole thing... But in this case I'm making an exception as I feel I've endured enough of it to give an opinion. In summary, very dull, shallow and clichéd. EDIT: I made it to the end, it improved a bit, and the low key plot twist wasn't too bad.

• Mar 06, 2020

Well-crafted little tale, but not particularly captivating when all's said and done.

• Feb 03, 2020

Strong tension throughout the entire film and some genuinely eerie parts that are all made possible due to the superb acting across the entire cast. This film will be sure to make your skin crawl!

• Jan 30, 2020

This minimalist family horror piece has all the trappings of a slow roll thriller with a mother losing her connection to her son after (for whatever reason) losing the boy's father (if he was ever around). It also has a huge hole in the ground. I mean, the hole in THE HOLE IN THE GROUND is so huge the forestry service should and would definitely be investigating that - or whatever passes for the forestry service in the UK.

• Jan 19, 2020

Really disappointing. It started slow and stayed slow. To say this is a horror I don't think there was one decent scare throughout the whole film. If you want a decent horror/thriller find something else because this was neither.

• Jan 11, 2020

The Hole In The Ground delievers an unsettling creepiness and then suprises you and makes you think. It may not be like certain great A24 horror offerings but you will get suprised.

• Dec 27, 2019

Difficult attempt. Some brave parts are not logical. But it is a good horror movie of the year for sure

• Dec 27, 2019

Don't waste your time!

Don't waste your time!

• Dec 23, 2019

I was presently surprised at how good a horror story this was. I watched it off of amazon.prime not really knowing what I was getting into but...I found it engrossing, creepy enough to hold my interest. Like most modern horror films, you are left at the ending to interpret what it all meant and I figured it out, at least enough for my satisfaction. I do like the fact that it was more creepy than a lot of gross special effects. If you like such films as Hereditary, The Witch, and Midsommer, I think you would like this movie.