The Hollow Reviews

• Gimly M Super Reviewer
    Jul 30, 2020

I liked the spikey man but holy fuck was this bad. The bad stuff is supposed to stop once the storm is over, but there's no storm for more than 90% of the movie's runtime, and every character delivers their lines in a shrill scream before they even make it to the location where the scary stuff happens. Just an atrocious way to deal with this concept... DP with the silky-smooth flow, though.

• Apr 19, 2019

Just can't take the screaming by the 3 sisters... they were warned dozens of times to stop screaming and be quiet because the demon they are running from will hear them but they refused. 3/4 of the way through the movie I started rooting for the demon because i just couldn't take it any more. Not an intelligent one in the bunch... and this movie really should have been titled EMMA! Given the ridiculous number of times one of the two sisters screamed it over and over and over again.

• Sep 26, 2017

This film goes through quite a quality curve, to the point of looking either like it was created by multiple directors or simple had no direction. After opening with some of the most cliche'd dialogue in history, the film eventually gets to the point where the tension begins and people start to die (if that's a spoiler to you, you might be the only person to find this film original). When the tension kicks in, "The Hollow" does supply a solid middle act with some good little jumps, decent pacing and CGI that certainly seems better than the rest of this low budget affair would warrant. However, and without spoilers here, the third act descends all the way back and results in a climax that is both CRINGE warrantingly cliche and also completely impossible to accept, even with your brain utterly switched off. I wanted to like this film, but the characters act with unclear and often illogical motives, the menacing creature seems to lose all it's most menacing qualities by the end, and EMMA. The character Emma, for her entire screen time, is possibly the most irritating and hate inducing character in cinema history. The flicker of a cult hit instead becomes a forgettable amateur hour flop.

• Jul 09, 2016

Badly acted nonsense with a cool but wasted monster that looked mini me Balrog

Badly acted nonsense with a cool but wasted monster that looked mini me Balrog

• Jun 19, 2016

Horrible. One of those movies you wish the monster gets everyone a few mins in. Tried to force myself to watch it and couldn't. Turned it off 3/4 through.

• Apr 17, 2016

One of the worst horror movies I have seen in a long time. The emotion is incredibly forced and fake, and the characters are entirely unlikable. The plot is almost entirely based around dumb mistakes made by the characters and by the end of the movie you are actually routing for the monster. The monster and premise of the movie I thought showed at least some glimmer of hope, but it was ultimately wasted.

• Apr 02, 2016

The storm brought something with it...something evil. A small town on an island has a treacherous past of witches on the island where some were killed and during one particular execution the witches put a curse on the island. A storm comes to the island and a strange entity comes with it and begins destroying the town's people. Can the townspeople who know about the curse stop the entity from killing everyone on the island? "It's using her as bait." Sheldon Wilson, director of Scarecrow, Shallow Ground, Mega Cyclone, Mothman, Cold Spring, Killer Mountain, The Unspoken, and Carny, delivers The Hollow. The storyline for this picture is fairly cliché with some unique special effects and kill sequences. The acting and writing are very mediocre and nothing special. "They burned six girls on a stake." I came across this on Netflix on the new release list and decided to add it to the queue. This was very mediocre and "just another addition to the horror genre." I wouldn't go too out of my way to see this and felt this was just another addition to the horror genre. Grade: C

• Mar 06, 2016

The Hollow 2015 - Emma, Emma, Emma and Emma into infinity. If you watched this movie you know what I mean. Not a good film but not terrible either. It has nonstop action a decent CGI monster and plenty of violent deaths. Felt more like a TV movie then a feature film and for all I know it was. Do not go out of your way to see it but if you get search fatigue you could do worse. #horrormovies

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Mar 01, 2016

Sort of weird that this film's poster is for another completely different movie, The Hive, as if it wasn't obvious by looking at your left. I can already tell that The Hive, having seen its trailer, is considerably better than this. I don't really even know what to say about this movie. It's not even that it has a good concept, because it doesn't. A monster that came about because a set of people put a curse on the town, been there, done that. But the film started out somewhat promisingly. Perhaps that's a little too strong of a term to use, but there was potential here and the movie, particularly for a SyFy original movie, looked considerably better than who commissioned it might imply. But, as the film progressed, there was pretty much nothing to like about this movie. It's about as straightforward of a monster film as you can get. It's witless and joyless. Part of what makes some of the more famous monster movies so enjoyable is that they're completely self-aware as to what they are and what they're gonna offer. There's no delusions or pretensions of grandeur. And I'm not saying that this film wanted to be anything more than it was, but they don't take pride in the fact that, as much as it is a horror movie, there's also a monster movie deep down at its core. And I'm not saying that this approach would've worked for every monster movie, like the Godzilla reboot for one, but in these sort of low-budget, TV movies then you need all you can to set yourself apart, or at the very least to get people to want to watch your flick. This movie, as I mentioned, doesn't do any of that with its witless and uninteresting approach. First things first, the characters themselves aren't entirely likable. Sarah is a control freak who feels the need to make huge life-changing decisions for people without their input, Marley is always complaining and Emma is, literally, one of the most useless characters I've seen in a long time. So, yea, it's really kind of hard to rally around Sarah and Marley in their search for Emma when all of them are so unlikable as human beings. Not to mention the fact that the acting is pretty bad. No one is good, but Stephanie Hunt, who played Sarah, was really the worst of them all. There's no real sense of urgency in anything she says or how she acts. Her face looks the same if she's stressed, sad, happy or angry. I don't know if I've seen her before, but she was awful here. Sarah Dugdale, who played Marley, was a little better, but her character was pretty much one-note. I have no idea how good, or not, the actress playing Emma was, but the character is so ridiculously useless. This girl is either crying, getting saved or standing around doing absolutely nothing. And the climax sees her finally standing up for herself and her sister as she's moments away from being killed by the monster. This is a good idea in theory, but they go about in the stupidest way possible. The whole thing is that this monster only kills people on Halloween. The day after, it disappears to not be seen again until the next year, or something. So Marley is injured and laying on the forest floor, next to a tree. The monster then starts to climb down the tree to face Marley. Marley has all but given up as she sent Emma away to get some help and she fears her life is over. Emma then appears, standing in front of the sun, covering it. Then she moves to the side so that the sunlight can hit the monster and destroy it. The thing that's so fucking stupid about this is the fact that Emma, in trying to look cool or add some drama to it, almost cost her remaining sister her life. Just let the fucking sunlight hit the monster, don't stand in front of it like a dumbass because you want a "cool" reveal of Emma finally doing something. Great, she went from being useless to a complete moron. That's not much of an upgrade. That was their idea. Really, the entire film is poorly written, but this idea to make Emma into someone who actually does something might actually have been one of the stupidest things I've seen in a long time. This movie really is quite terrible. Might not have seemed like it as I was watching it, but it was considerably worse once I sat down to write this. At least it was a relatively short film, so I can't complain about that. Everything else, however, is terrible and I can't imagine why anyone would actually want to watch this. Avoid.

• Feb 07, 2016

Hollow is a good name for the script and acting.....what a bunch of poo.

Hollow is a good name for the script and acting.....what a bunch of poo.