The Horror of Frankenstein - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Horror of Frankenstein Reviews

½ February 4, 2016
Victor FRANKENSTEIN is depicted as a sociopath obsessed by his scientific experiments in this movie adaptation of the classic story, which is told in a dark yet carefree manner.
October 29, 2015
The only Hammer Frankenstein film to not feature Peter Cushing in the title role, and that fact hurts it immensely. Ralph Bates isn't horrible, but he just isn't Peter Cushing. He also portrays the Baron as a womanizer, which just doesn't fit the part to me. I always think of Frankenstein and romance as something he puts on the back burner, and has it destroyed in some ways due to his horrific experiments. The plot of this is similar in many way to the first Hammer Frankenstein film, which makes it easy to say: watch "The Curse of Frankenstein" instead, for a better execution of this plot and a better actor in the title role.
May 16, 2015
A bit shallow for a Frankenstein retelling, it takes a while to get going and the ending is unremarkable. Decent characters, but not Hammer's most memorable. The monster's make up is quite decent, though we only see the monster in the last 30 minutes of the film.
½ November 12, 2014
this is where i stopped goin 2 see
½ March 11, 2014
(44%)
An almost good entry from Hammer with a solid and creepy performance by the lead Ralph Bates, but the lack of interesting ideas, abrupt ending and below par script hamper the film.
½ November 14, 2013
More or less a remake of The Curse of Frankenstein, I did enjoy this much more than I thought I would. Mainly due to fact that it is so delightfully self-aware as a late entry in the Hammer Frankenstein Franchise it is almost a self-parody and borders on Carry-on-Style humourous undertone. The story is the same old Shelley fare with the typical Hammer boobs and lush sets thrown in for good measure. The film is not a little bit scary, because it just does not take itself serious at all. Ralph Bates is a flamboyant, albeit a tad wooden lead and the monster looks hilarious ( think 70s bodybuilder, no talent and a blind make-up artist). Do you remember the angel dude from Barbarella, yeah, the monster kinda looks like that. The ending is quite anti-climatic, but in its denial of your common redemption for the villian chlichee it is refreshingly different, but still not very good on its own. If you like Hammer Horror, you will like this one too, but be prepared, it feels like the weird uncle around the table of the Hammer family.
½ January 31, 2013
THE HORROR OF FRANKENSTEIN tells the tale of a pompous young Victor Frankenstein, who returns home from university to resume his studies of the human anatomy at his family estate. Weird happenings begin to shroud the Castle Frankenstein as Victor embarks on his most diabolical experiment yet: The creation of a living being that has been assembled from the bodies of the dead! Hammer Films turns back the clock in this veritable remake of THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, which follows a much younger version of the Baron. Peter Cushing takes a forced sabbatical as Ralph Bates steps into the role of Victor Frankenstein, bringing his own contemptuous vices to the character along with a wry, cynical sense of humor. THE HORROR OF FRANKENSTEIN then becomes a dark satire of Mary Shelley's classic tale, and one that plays off of a very subtle wit. David Prowse portrays Frankenstein's unholy creation as a rather lifeless brute, while Dennis Price puts in a rousing performance as the kooky graverobber. Writer Jimmy Sangster does an excellent job recreating the Gothic allure of the earlier Hammer pictures in his directorial debut, making THE HORROR OF FRANKENSTEIN a welcome sidestep from the original series.
December 12, 2012
it was ok film but I don't think I'll watch it again, I didn't think this film was good and I expected better, Ralph Bates, Kate O'Mara and David Prowse starred in it, it was an ok film but I don't want it on DVD
November 19, 2012
For me this probably has been the lowest point of the Frankenstein series, not so much because there was no Peter Cushing but more so because it just wasn't that good a film! It could have faired a lot better if the monster had of been created much earlier in the film and the focus had been directed that way, but the monster appeared later created a few scares and then it ended... Overall it just didn't stand out!
½ November 3, 2012
A pretty decent movie without Cushing in the main part.
½ October 22, 2012
I'm not sure why but I was worried that this would be a bit of a turkey. I am quite fond of Universal's Frankenstein film and the other Hammer Frankenstein film was 'Created Woman' which was a bit of a turkey. I have gone rather out of sequence because I am working through my Hammer Collection and clearly they couldn't fit every film the company made into one boxed set.

This feels like a prequel of sorts, it traces Frankenstein back to his school days shows him essentially finding his way, scientifically speaking. There is a scene in which he enthusiastically brings a severed arm back to life for example. The Horror of Frankenstein is actually quite an entertaining film, Ralph Bates is great in the lead role and the humour that Sangster injected into proceedings gives it a light hearted side which helps the narrative flow without becoming cumbersome or lethargic. I'll have to trace the non-'collection' Hammer Frankenstein's now to see how they compare.
½ July 10, 2012
Any nay-sayers regarding this movie apparently walked into this one with far different expectations than my own. Which is to say, I had NO expectations whatsoever. First, I must say that I find the story of Frankenstein's monster rather boring. There's no internal narrative in any of the films, and I don't care what Mary Shelly was trying to do with her book, it was slow and depressing and basically had no appeal outside of being a reducto ad absurbum argument against medicine, por technology or something retarded that we have obviously surpassed, culturally.

However, The Horror of Frankenstein shines not only among Hammer films, or Horror films, but films in general, for reasons: Ralph Bates, Kate O'Mara, and Veronica Carlson's boobs. The sex appeal is obvious, I mean just look at her! wow. Having dispensed with the obvious, my main contention is Ralph Bates' performance as Victor Frankenstein. Most critics claim that he pales in comparison to Cushing's portrayal as the mad doctor, but I think they may be yearning for a daddy figure or something, because thought Cushing's Dr. Frankenstein hits all the high notes in an operatic performance, Bates' Dr. is a surly rake-hell, an absolute heel of a man. That is his strength in this film and the scenes in which he appears with others are simply awesome. His carping tone, his smug mugging, and his dirkish manner with the ladies is a performance to be revelled in. He is, in my opinion, a punk rock version of a Hammer lead, as opposed to Cushing's classical stylings or Christopher Lee's Big Band Jazz.

I guess people are expecting some kind of revamped storyline, or some new revelations on the scientific process, or more stuff with the Monster. Perhaps they prefer the darker sets of the older Frankenstein movies, with laboratories shrouded in darkness. And they can find these things in other movies, to be sure. But Bates is hilarious as the Doctor, and his interactions with O'Mara are heartbreakingly misogynistic, which makes us wonder how a man can be so cruel... but then a again, he is a mad doctor. This inhumnaity to women is actually the key to understanding Bates' Dr. Frankenstein, as well as the egotistic behavior he displays with his colleagues at the university early in the film.
½ April 14, 2012
A dissapointing film which has all the features we have come to enjoy in hammer films but for some reason Doctor Frankenstein has no redeeming features: he is just unlikeable. The female leads are very attractive,but they don't get to do anything. There is no romance as Doctor Frankenstein is an extremely annoying womaniser, and the monster only enjoys killing. The ending is very unclimactic and dull.
March 16, 2012
After Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969) performed less than favourably at the box-office, Hammer decided to go back and remake the first Frankenstein film, enlisting Hammer veteran Jimmy Sangster to write, produce and direct the new take on Frankenstein. It's a hotch-potch of ideas, and it can't decide what it wants to be, a remake or a prequel. Victor Frankenstein (Ralph Bates) is a cold, ruthless genius, who wants to get ahead in life, when his father (George Belbin) refuses to give him anymore money for scientific experiments, Victor kills his father by sabotaging one of his hunting rifles, Victor inherits the title of Baron von Frankenstein, and he inherits the family fortune. Victor goes to medical school in Vienna, but leaves after he impregnates the daughter of the school's Dean (James Cossins). So, he leaves, and returns to the family home to conduct his experiments there, and he ends up creating a monster using parts from people he's murdered over time, including his own assistant Wilhelm (Graham James), and Victor creates a monster (David Prowse) from body parts, but it's not long before the monster goes on the rampage. The film doesn't know if it wants to play it straight or if it's a parody of the Frankenstein films that Hammer have done before, some of it works and alot of it doesn't. When this reboot failed, Hammer brought Peter Cushing back for Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974), which was the last one.
½ February 16, 2012
Decent Frankenstein with some dark humor added to the mix. Based on other reviews i will say that i think this film is misunderstood.
September 20, 2011
What the fuck is this? Its just complete garbage, but garbage that smells nice..or something, stupid. THIS is why Hammer Horror is so good, because its just fucking awful but you cannot help but love it.
½ September 12, 2011
THE most sarcastic Frankenstein I've ever seen
August 9, 2011
Actually a decent effort compared to a few of the previous hammer frankenstein entries - decent cast and decent action - good film
½ July 11, 2011
Tries too hard to be funny, and forgets the 'horror' of the title. Takes far too long for the monster to arrive, and ends with no climax. Only notable for the appearance of David Prowse (Darth Vader) as the Monster.
½ July 7, 2011
A truly boring experience. Dull and visually ugly as well as stupidly acted. Avoid it.