The Host - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Host Reviews

January 16, 2016
I want to like it alot as it was a good story. but it was annoying hearing the voice in her head constantly. and another weird live triangle hmmm im just not sure. could have been great but wasnt.
January 4, 2016
The book was SO much better. I feel like it was rushed
½ December 9, 2015
The most disgusting, horribly written both script and story. Stephanie Meyer is a fucking pervert, and seems to be a retard that exploits dumb-ass teenage girls and the director is a dip-shit who can't even direct! Stay the fuck away from science fiction and Vampires!
November 28, 2015
absolutely hilarious would watch again
½ October 22, 2015
I was surprised to find after twilight that I actually really enjoyed this book. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the movie. They skipped over many important scenes, added unnecessary ones and basically just turned a decent story into a mismatch of random scenes focusing mainly on the 'romance' if you could call the shallow relationships portrayed that
½ September 18, 2015
wasted my money going to see this when it came out
½ September 16, 2015
The Host opens and closes with scenes that contain elements of great science fiction. What comes in the middle, unfortunately, is one of the longest, most frustrating films you'll ever experience. This movie is so slow that after a while you become convinced that the movie will go in reverse. Some movies dare you to look away from the screen. This one challenges you to stay awake.

To be sure, the movie has a fantastic premise. Imagine what might happen to humanity after "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" ended. Aliens from another world, called "souls," have come to Earth, taken over our bodies, flushed out both our personalities and our emotions and replaced them with their own. Imagine what happens if one operation doesn't go quite right. What might happen if the human personality was still inside a mind that had been replaced?

That is the problem facing an alien host named Wanderer (Saoirse Ronan). She hears a voice in her head, the human voice of the person who previously occupied the body she has been given. The girl inside her mind is named Melanie, who still has memories of her human occupation. Soon those memories are being shared with Wanderer. She keeps this information from her betters and goes on the run. You can already guess their response.

This means we get to sit through a long series of laughable scenes in which actress Saoirse Ronan is forced to spend a lot of time talking to herself. We hear the alien speaking, and then we hear the human voice in her head. This works when she thinks she is about to die, but when Wanderer kisses a guy that Melanie can't stand, it becomes ridiculous. Ronan is a fine actress who has been better elsewhere. Watch her sometime in Hanna and her Oscar nominated performance in Atonement. Here she's a real trooper, pulling off dialogue that is - to put it nicely - utterly ridiculous.

What develops from this plot isn't as ingenious as one might hope. Instead of exploring the possibly of this bizarre situation, The Host becomes one of those old familiar last-hope-for-humanity stories in which characters stand around talking about the situation in long, boring scenes of dialogue that should have remained on the cutting room floor. It opens with an effectively creepy leisure pace but then never picks up any steam. More on the plot will not be revealed here, suffice to say that after that great opening, the rest of the movie just kind of coasts.

"The Host" was written and directed by Andrew Niccol who has a talent for creating smart, inventive stories about people trapped by their circumstances. He wrote the great Gattaca (1997) about a natural-born man trapped in a world of synthetic humans. He wrote The Truman Show (1998), about a man trapped in his own reality show. He made Lord of War (2005), about a man who confronts the moral implications of the international arms deals that he puts into motion.

Niccol has some of those inspirations here but he is at the mercy of a script based on a book by Stephanie Meyers the popular writer of the "Twilight" series. Meyer is not a good writer, her works seem dumbed down for easy reading rather than pumped up for effect. This film, as with "Twilight", is tilted toward something meaningful he can't seem to get the movie out of first gear. All of the characters look alike, talk alike, sound alike. They stand around and have long boring conversations about the same thing over and over and over and over. It's like the movie had a great launch and then spent the rest of its time driving around in a circle. The ideas are there, but they just never come to life.
September 13, 2015
Goes along with movies like the Giver or divergent.I don't know maybe im wrong. I thought it was a pretty cool movie that's definatly worth seeing for sure.
September 8, 2015
While the central love triangle is completely over the top and it the acting is even worse, the plot, score and cinematography make The Host watchable as it tackles intriguing themes of peace and inter-race relations.
August 20, 2015
I really enjoyed this movie. It was just like the book.
½ August 10, 2015
4 people in 3 bodies engage in 2 relationships in 1 Better Love Story Than Twilight(TM). I'm loathe to say that it was a good idea on paper, having some familiarity with the author, but the idea at least was interesting-sounding... but in a fashion typical of her works, she basically can't come up with a plot that could reasonably stretch beyond a short story, so things just sorta amble around pointlessly, and barely comprehensibly, for the entire middle hour before rushing to a head.
It's a pity, really, because perhaps under better penmanship, this would never have been a classic, but it could have been a fun, potentially worthwhile date-night movie that could engage the girls with the sap, and the guys with the sci-fi. But alas, it's just confusing schlock.
August 6, 2015
I loved it thought it was a great movie loved the cast and story-line
½ August 6, 2015
Good movie, but not as amazing as the book.
July 28, 2015
Fantastic. Cried a lot
July 10, 2015
Loved it!! Gore at movie
June 24, 2015
Not bad for low budget flick
June 22, 2015
Story Begins WithBit Of Intrigue & Good Amount Of Storyline Depth, That Got Me Kinda Hooked..But!!!..It Seriously Loses Steam Right At The End. Very Quickly, Becomes Directionless, Has No Overall Satisfying Ending, Or Battle?? For Earth...So Yeah, Moderately Disappointing For That Reason...But Far Better Than Meyer's Twi-Hard Rubbish.
½ June 18, 2015
when I read the reviews i expected a terrible movie.. but i like its scenario and philosophical ideas of not judging the book by its cover
½ June 16, 2015
pretty good movie, some parts were slow but overall the plot was good
½ June 13, 2015