The House By The Cemetery (Quella villa accanto al cimitero) Reviews

• Dec 20, 2019

It's a very good movie with mistery and some gore elements to it. Don't expect a »slasher« film filled with plot twists and scary screamer scenes. In contrast, it is quite a mild film, locking the spectator until the very end; it begins by setting an aura of mistery, leaving the spectator intrigued about the meaning of some hints of what is to come; this mistery slowly evolves and builds up, letting the spectator know that there is something wrong in the plot until it ends up the the dramatic finale, a true climax capable of sending chills down your spine without having to resort to special effects of clowny screamers. In a way I'd say that it is a masterly tribute to other related stories which undoubtedly influenced it such as The Shinning or Frankenstein. Don't be fooled by the comments, it is a very good film, a true Fulci. I'd recommend it.

• Oct 22, 2018

this is one of fulci's classics

this is one of fulci's classics

• Jun 26, 2018

There is a lot of brutal gory stabbing scenes, the lighting is very spooky and the cast as well as the set and costumes are very elaborate and beautifully chosen.

• Nov 12, 2016

As per usual Fulci fare, cinematography and special effects excel with an interesting ending while the English dubs and child actor made me want to be the killer's next victim.

• Sep 21, 2016

I first took interest in The House By the Cemetery after hearing that the film, We Are Still Here, was greatly influenced by it. The story unfolds like many other great "haunted house" stories, strange noises, stuff bangin around, you know the works. The house itself is pretty creepy. It has that perfect Northeast look. Overall The House By The Cemetery is what you can expect from a Fulci ghost story. Crazy, surreal, low-budget and totally unhinged. Despite some of the shaky acting and editing the movie delivers on some grisly shocks that I did not expect, However I think that these nasty scenes are betrayed by the illogical and mood killing editing. At the end of the day if you're a fan of Fulci and you want a haunted house story that's totally insane it will do. I think I'd recommend his similar movie, 1981's The Beyond over this one but as always see for yourself

• Jun 25, 2016

Decent spookhouse thriller. The kid is super annoying, but there is some good gore.

• Mar 25, 2016

It would have been a 4 star for its outstanding creepiness and dark atmosphere but the last 30 minutes gets muddied and lazy.

• Jan 18, 2016

It's not a particularly novel setup, but the death scenes are just as gruesome as you'd expect from Lucio Fulci, and the direction builds the tension economically. The film's biggest flaw is the character of Bob, the young boy, who is just plain unpleasant and is dubbed terribly. Aside from that, there is plenty of gory fun to be had.

• Jan 16, 2016

There's not really a consensus whether director Lucio Fulci is an artist or simply a talented gore hound. I tend to lean toward "talented gore hound" although I'd say that this film and "The Beyond" certainly help make the case that there is more to him as a director than a stylish technician. The story here is essentially a haunted house story, which sounds a bit more subtle than most of Fulci's gore filled films, but this is probably the goriest haunted house film you'll ever still. I'd actually say that I felt the gore here distracts and actually takes you out of what would otherwise be a very strong ghost story. And I'm someone who loves a good gory horror film, but the gore in this film felt out of place for the story, and I think that's the main weakness of the film. Still, this if probably one of Fulci's better films and is certainly worth checking out for fans of Italian horror flicks.

• Dec 08, 2015

kinda mash-up of 'frankenstein' & "poltergeist"

kinda mash-up of 'frankenstein' & "poltergeist"