The House I Live In - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The House I Live In Reviews

November 22, 2015
Great insight into the War on Drugs. Definitely a must see.
October 30, 2015
Amazing, thought provoking, enlightening & terrifying. I've recommended this to pretty much anyone I can. Wonderful documentary.
September 6, 2015
absolutely heartbreaking, mind boggling, frustrating....one of the best docs I have ever seen.
September 3, 2015
Excellent documentary on the failure of the war on drugs, sentencing bias, and unintended consequences that cause us to jail a higher percentage of our population than any other country.
June 7, 2015
I Don't Like Documentary Films.
½ March 7, 2015
Insightful look at America's institutionalized racism...for profit prisons = the new Jim Crow.
Harlequin68
December 28, 2014
Recently, Michael Moore, in his self-appointed role as commissioner of documentaries, gave a list of guidelines that documentary filmmakers should follow. One of them is to get in front of the camera. And with the documentary "The House I Live In," we can see where that might not always be such a good idea as in making a film about the failed drug war in the United States that affects so many poor and people of color, director Eugene Jarecki comes at it from the privileged point of view of his Connecticut family who employed a nanny for many years.

So while that holds true, Jarecki does provide some keen insights here, especially as it relates to the draconian mandatory minimum sentences non-violent drug offenders face. And he benefits greatly from speaking to David Simon. But at the same time, there is a lot of material that is certainly not new(Bloom County or Bill Hicks, your choice). Plus, the documentary is now a little dated since marijuana has recently been legalized in Colorado and Washington while omitting other material like say about prohibition, which might clash with the movie's overall thesis about everything being racist and classist, ignoring the United States's long puritanical streak in favor of whatever conspiracy theories happen to come along.
½ December 14, 2014
This film is so poignant about a situation that cuts deeply through American culture -the disenfranchisement and isolation of our poorest class under the guise of a war on drugs. Essential viewing.
December 6, 2014
Wow. What an eye opening documentary. No matter what side of the party line you stand on, what race you are, or where you stand in social stature, this movie affects you. Unbelievable and embarrassing at the same time.
November 25, 2014
Adopting a rational and intelligent position from a political, social and historical perspective, this fundamentally important documentary lays out the egregious failures, and extraordinary corrosion of liberty, community and public life precipitated by America's myopic 'War on Drugs'.
October 28, 2014
Best documentary I've ever seen. It shows you everything I've ever thought about u.s. Drug policy and justifies it. Everyone's input is given from the dealers on the streets to the judges locking people away and everyone agrees that the war on drugs is a failure and an injustice to a large portion of the population.
October 21, 2014
This movie should be mandatory for all American citizens. It is absolutely mind blowing and eye-opening and will make you want to literally "do something about it". It's just a shame that none of us know where to start. But this is a gripping tale of a terrible injustice that is being done right here in our own country - The country that is acclaiming to be "land of the free". Will blow your mind. Very sad.
September 21, 2014
Documentary covering the failures of the American war on drugs.

Kind of dispassionate. Sidelines the racial implications of the war. Actually states that the war on drugs equalizes poor people, regardless of race, ignoring the fact that poverty and incarceration both affect blacks and minorities ...what, 4x more? than whites. Don't pretend not to see that.

Barely divulges any new data, and focuses largely on crack.
August 21, 2014
Drug wars have messed us up.
August 12, 2014
Pretty good documentary about the evils of cops, politicians, prosecutors and judges serving the almighty dollar, if not just their completely racist fantasies. All because the ignorant American population lets them.
July 20, 2014
A fascinating and eye opening documentary from Eugene Jarecki looking at America's 'war on drugs'. A war that has been going on for 40 years without any success. Since 1971 more than $1 trillion has been spent on this war resulting in more than 45 million arrests, yet illegal drug use has remained unchanged and US prisons are over populated with non-violent criminals serving long mandatory sentences.
Here Jarecki interviews politicians, campaigners, law enforcers, inmates and dealers about this ridiculous situation which is more about politics and class persecution and he attempts to find out where it all went wrong and look to a way out of it.
May 3, 2014
An absolute masterpiece that reveals the darkest side of America or how capitalism and greed have finally found a radical solution to economic inequalities and the danger it implies for society: jailing the poor, and turning prison into an horrific business. One of my favourite documentaries.
April 22, 2014
Insightful fact based documentary on probably the biggest folly of modern western policy making.
April 22, 2014
As a film its a bit incoherent and veers a little towards left wing conspiracy but it certainly address important issues.
½ April 5, 2014
makes you wonder if there is a war out there or is just something that we are going to have to live with for the rest of our lives as a society.