The Housemaid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Housemaid Reviews

½ July 9, 2013
Fairly slow beginning for a thriller, the last 40 minutes are quite good. Good subtitles, acting, & editing.
June 1, 2013
enjoyable but not overly satisfying. The 2 maids are the best actors by far.
May 29, 2013
An interesting look at a housemaid who is exploited into becoming a lover for the man of the house. There are some interesting changes in the power of each of the actors over the other.
½ May 17, 2013
This movie is very well done but the ending killed it for me.
May 5, 2013
This was an intense movie with a sharp bite. Each character had a richness about them. The movie had me at the very beginning. I loved the childlike innocent quality of Eny-yi. This is a movie that will make it into my permanent collection. Sensual, sad, had it all.
March 9, 2013
Uhm... well... VERY entertaining.... FO' SURE!
½ March 4, 2013
Great flick about love, hate, deception and power. The directing is very aesthetic, minimalism is in order. The end is very melodramatic (korean's love it). Really nice performance from the actors. Not a must see but good entertainment.
½ February 22, 2013
This may surprise you but "The Housemaid" is superbly made. Wow, the cinematography was absolutely gorgeous; excellent camerashots riddled all over this film. It's so sublime in fact that it leaves room for this movie to be identified as an art-house movie, but sadly, there isn't much to the movie except for eerie and surprising perversion, sickening revenge, and a twisted narrative.

It's funny because everything about the movie shouts "true filmmaking". Nevertheless, the narrative simply touches upon the characters' struggles and that's it. This movie isn't here to teach people not to do certain things and it isn't here to thematically stir audiences emotions; this movie is simply here to tell its narrative, which is much of the case for a profuse amount of Korean films, but ever more so with "The Housemaid". Once the credits roll, it seems nothing more than just a shallow but twisted movie that is easily forgotten except for its credible filmmaking craftsmanship.

So if its absolutely devoid of any substance aside from the production value, how is "The Housemaid"'s narrative? Is it entertaining? I guess so. It's gonna give you thrills, chills, and tension. It's also gonna give you strange goosebumps and surprises not because it's a great horror flick, but because of the audacious and extremely black raw sexuality that it throws viewers. C'mon now... it's almost like a cheap scare. Throw in some taboo-breaking content and you got yourself a shocking movie. That to me, is cheap. It draws you, but I was certainly squirming in my seat -- not cause I'm a pansy, but how deep "The Housemaid" chooses to let characters get sucked into a pitch black world of lies, deceit, hatred, and sexuality.

At the end of the day, "The Housemaid" is a stylish but extremely raw sexual movie. It's a movie about sex. That's about it. You think "Black Swan" was raw? LOL "The Housemaid" is stomping all over it, and its all its got: Mesmerizing cinematography and a taboo-shattering narrative. I ain't saying this is a bad movie but it's certainly not even close to what I would enjoy.
½ January 16, 2013
this isn't a feel good movie. each character is in some way self-interested and has a streak of wickedness at the expense of others. during the first fifteen minutes of the movie, equivalent to maybe two days of the housemaid meeting the married boss, the two lustful sinners are already in bed.

what is commendable about this movie though is that the scenes and the script is are well thought out-- much of the character can be deduced from the well selected words, expressions and actions of the characters. Additionally, the scenes always kept me watching, because there was a good flow in the plot in each scene.

I'm somewhat new to the korean drama, so I was amused by the incredulous acts that made it a korean drama. Did anyone else think it was funny that there is a somewhat creative quality in the way the family solves problems... i.e. kicking the housemaid off the ladder, batting her with a golf stick. And then the ultimate way to solve a problem-- traumatize a full house by suicide hang while you set yourself on fire.

Morals aside, the movie was pretty good in its film technical aspects.
January 15, 2013
Still confused bout the ending
½ January 4, 2013
grandma looks too young. the story got wrong in the second half, too plain. is it a revenge?
December 15, 2012
The Housemaid (original title: Hanyo) will present to you a young woman trying to take her destiny into her own hands. She lets her desire run free and the result is a very hot sex scene.

The scenario is nothing new, but the plot is interesting is not always obvious. The intrigue of that high class family is very interesting.

The house is gorgeous, the setting push, and the actors beautiful for the most part.

If you're in the mood for a asian subtitled drama about the a rich family and its secret with a dark humorless story and a steamy undertone of sex, you should watch it.
½ December 9, 2012
One of the best movies I have seen in a long time. Loved it! great story line, and unpredictable!
½ November 25, 2012
Maybe I went into this film with my expectations too high, or maybe it is a cultural divide but I didn't get it. The plot, from what I had read, was the maid gains the upper hand after sleeping with the head of the house. One hour and forty seven minutes later and I never once saw her with the upper hand and the also did a poor job of making me feel sorry for someone who was sleeping with someone she knew was married. In fact they would have done better making me feel something for the wife who seemed genuinely naive about how this family has operated for generations. What the maid did in the end was so absurd I had to see how many minutes were left because I didn't know how much more of this I could take. Believe me when I say you are in for a real "she sure showed them" moment. And yes, that was 100% sarcasm. This movie was truly a waste of film, the acting wasn't great, the script wasn't great, and the plot which had promised wasn't delivered upon. It failed on all levels.
½ November 22, 2012
OMG this is like the best movie ever
November 3, 2012
If it wasn't so boring, it would be better..
½ September 24, 2012
I don't want to give anything away, but this was a pretty twisted movie.
September 22, 2012
It had me for about three quarters of the way.
½ September 14, 2012
A slow absurd and tense tale with a sick ending. My kind of movie...
August 14, 2012
A remake of a classic masterpiece is always been a thankless task, but since half a century has passed since 1960, when Ki-young Kimâ(TM)s original version came out, it is a considerable and understandable timing to do it against all odds. With the A-list actress Do-young Kim on board, at least, tedium has been successfully blocked entirely through its 106 minute running time, plus I am plain oblivious to Ki-youngâ(TM)s version, so no prejudice by preconceived ideas will hobble my judgement.

The karma has its default value from the beginning, which startles its audience with a young girlâ(TM)s suicidal jump, prefigures the ominous fate of our protagonist, whose standpoint has been intentionally set as more of an aroused innocent (suggesting by the tantalizing finger foreplay from the male part and a waiting-naked seduction from the female part) than an adultery victim thanks to a modern metabolism which signifies female is not always the submissive counterpart of the male-dominant society. But the comprehensive tone is much or less conflicts with this setting, with would cause some ambiguous reading of the abruptly dark ending (the final birthday scenery has a moderately sidestepping deviation which cannot gratify an sublimating closing.

The film strives to distill the trite storyline (with some patent slips, e.g. the medicine swapping is cursorily done, at least taking away some original potions to keep the amount even) and saves more spatial elasticity to its actors, and the most profitable beneficiaries are Do-yeon and Yeo-jeong, both shoulder the filmâ(TM)s strength against banality elsewhere. Do-yeon also outshines in the graphically daring sex scenes with the over-beefy Jung-Jae Lee; while Yeo-jeong is the thunder-stealer here, endowing a supporting role with a show-stopper weightiness.

I have quite a few storage of South Korean DVDs (mostly recent ones) which I am pretty eager to watch, THE HOUSEMAID is not in the top-tier, but one thing is certain, I am hunting the original version now.