The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence) Reviews

April 25, 2016
Though not particularly fond of The Human Centipede: First Sequence (2009), my desire to find out just how deep the rabbit hole of Tom Six's sadism went gave me the edge to check out the sequel.

Given that The Human Centipede: First Sequence set a high standard for sadistic violence and sickening concepts, The Human Centipede II: Full Sequence has a high standard to live up to. Even though the film wasn't a particularly great one, the sequel still needs to be sickening enough to be a worthy follow-up. The value of The Human Centipede: First Sequence was largely the fact that its idea was so ridiculously grotesque that it cried out for cult audiences, and the surrounding controversy made it impossible to miss. As a whole, the idea behind the film was more sickening than its actual execution while its greatest hook was the performance of Dieter Laser. This time there is an antagonist of far less interest who viewers have to embrace while he wanders through his meaningless existence in silence, never saying a word. Blood and gore is just thrown at the viewer repeatedly without much intense build-up which forsakes any potential for narrative value, even though the story never had much of a chance of that in the first place.
Treading the mistaken ground followed by the first film, The Human Centipede II: Full Sequence ends up with sloppy execution of a potentially sickening concept. Quadrupling the ambitions of the villain Dr Josef Heiter, The Human Centipede II: Full Sequence introduces Martin Lomax. With a far more conventional reason for his insanity, Martin Lomax's edge is driven by the fact that he is a short, mentally challenged, overweight and asthmatic man who was molested by his father and criminalized by his mother. This is Tom Six's idea of characterization, and there's only so long you can tolerate seeing a silent obese man staring at things in a slow-paced black and white film before the once-eerie atmosphere created by the manipulation of silence and colour becomes yet another staple of boredom inducing. Given that the crude gimmick of the first film has been and gone the effect is no longer as innovative, the central hook is gone. And with black and white disguising the practical nature of many scenes, the film is never as brutal as it wants to be which really makes the potential of the experience dull. The film doesn't become much of an exercise in the shock value of blood and gore until close to an hour into the film, and the build-up until then has been far from satisfactory for any real power to come from it. And with The Human Centipede II: Full Sequence failing to offer much in terms of shock value, it fails at the one thing it could have been any good at. Given that the film is in black and white it runs this risk very much from the start, and despite Tom Six's claims that it is meant to create a dark and gritty nature to match the insanity of the protagonist it ultimately restrains the effect of the shock value. It has a very slight touch of visual flair and some good cinematography, but it isn't nearly enough to add any major value.
On top of everything, the film is very much a parody of itself. Due to the meta nature of the narrative and Tom Six's intention on emphasizing the concept of copycat crimes, the ridiculous concept of the first film serves as the motivation for the actions of Martin Lomax. The disgusting extent that the story goes to as a means of mocking viewers with its crude violence is seemingly a humourous insult directed at audiences, and given the way Tom Six depicts Martin's nightmares of his father molesting him with the voice-over line "You're only making daddy's willy harder" there is clearly a humourous edge in the film. Since many critics of the first film took it so seriously it's rather beneficial that jokes are prevalent in The Human Centipede II: Full Sequence. But I can't ascertain how much social satire is supposed to actually be in the film or certify that I did in fact laugh at any point. It seems as if every line of dialogue is satirical because it all subscribes to the most conventional format of dialogue available to horror cinema and none of it can be taken seriously, but while that seems to intentionally detract from some of the more serious elements of the film I most definitely did not find myself laughing, scared or even all that sickened. Frankly, I was just bored in the case of The Human Centipede II: Full Sequence. And when the film comes to a close with an ending that leaves a frustrating ambiguity to the rest of the events in the story, its the final insult.
However, I will certainly admit that I have respect for the leading performance of Laurence R. Harvey. The man has no shame taking on such a sick and twisted character in The Human Centipede II: Full Sequence, and it's a fairly challenging role. The man has to convey ultimate insanity in almost complete silence, and given the lackluster filmmaking around him it would be easy for him to cater to such standards and simply maintain a blank stare the entire time. But with his directionless gaze, his hunched shoulders and his childish grin, the man is able to create an effectively introverted psychopath. Laurence R. Harvey manages to perfectly capture Martin Lomax, approaching the most sick and twisted scenes with such neutrality or sadistic pleasure that he manages to capture both the disturbing elements of the character and his vulnerability too. Laurence R. Harvey says everything about the character without ever having to utter a single word, and in a circuit of mediocre plot lines and stiff direction he has more success capturing the greatest extent of Tom Six's ambition than the director himself. Laurence R. Harvey is an ideal creep to lead The Human Centipede II: Full Sequence.
And though her role is really small, fans of the first film can rejoice at the presence of Ashlynn Yennie returning to be part of another sick medical experiment.

Laurence R. Harvey delivers an effectively creepy lead performance, but The Human Centipede II: Full Sequence lacks the originality of its predecessor which weakens the potential shock power, and with a slow pace, weak plotting and black and white covering the blood and gore, it's ultimately just a boring experience above anything else.
½ April 10, 2016
wow, this sequel crashed hard and fast. there was no scary, just grossly disturbing and not even in a good way
March 9, 2016
Have you shit yourself again?

A huge fan of the movie human centipede researches and takes copious notes on if the events in the movie are possible and he discovers it's true. The fan was sexually abused by his father as a kid, and may be a bit autistic, but he definitely isn't mentally stable. He works in a parking garage at night and uses this profession as a chance to kidnap victims and begin building his own crude human centipede.

"Stop them tears. You're just making daddy's Willie harder."

Tom Six, director of The Human Centipede 1-3, Honeyz, Gay as Amsterdam, and I Love Dries, delivers Human Centipede II. The storyline for this picture is entertaining but a bit of a stretch. The film is shot in an appropriately gritty style that contains a lot of gore and intensity. The acting is solid and fits the feel of the film perfectly.

"Shut your fucking mouth you old cunt."

These films are all gross and fairly intense. They are all on Netflix and I watched the first one about three years ago. I finally got around to watching this sequel and felt it was a worthwhile addition to the horror genre but far from perfect. I recommend seeing this once for fans of the genre who can handle the intensity.

"Your pussy smells gorgeous."

Grade: C+
March 7, 2016
A bigger budget meant more towards film quality & lighting. Unfortunately, it fails on ALL levels, including what looks like a morbidly obese "Waldo" from the Hot For Teacher video as your resident maniac. A "shitty" movie (pun intended)
February 19, 2016
Not the worst idea for a sequel as the plot is inventive enough, but the execution of this just as twisted story isn't as good as the first.
February 5, 2016
And I thought the first one was bad...
½ February 5, 2016
One of the worst films ever made.

Zero Stars
½ January 20, 2016
I'm really not sure whether this is the worst movie ever made or not but it sure as hell comes close. The story is vile, the acting abysmal and the idea of any of it is worse than laughable. Whereas the first was a shocker and was hard to swallow, this looks like it was made to shock but fails miserably on all levels simply thanks to its own incompetence. Each time you think it couldn't get more inane, it manages it with flying colours. How anyone was allowed to make this is difficult to understand. Completely idiotic, terribly constructed, characters you want dead as soon as you meet them and a director so deranged he should be locked away somewhere dark and far from any sort of camera.
If you value your sanity then steer clear of this. If you stomach it for long, you'll wish you hadn't and however many minutes you follow it for, you will never get them back. It really is your loss. The half star is just for managing to focus the camera. While watching this, you'll wonder why they bothered. It really becomes too annoying to stay with. Impossible to recommend and I can't do enough to advise against watching it. Simply awful! Don't bother!
½ January 2, 2016
Tom Six intenta hacer una secuela mucho más horripilante e infernal que la primera parte de su "The Human Centipede"... y lo logra. Las referencias a "Psycho", "Saló: o los 120 dias de Sodoma" y a "Eraserhead" están más que presentes, así como el gore más espantoso que se puedan imaginar, sin importar que la cinta sea a blanco y negro. El actor Laurence R. Harvey es el asco encarnado en una persona, interpretando a Martin, una especie de Igor y "Fanboy" que quiere hacer un cienpiés humano de 12 personas inspirado en la primera película. "The Human Centipede II" es un completo descenso al averno. Quedan advertidos.
½ December 15, 2015
it seems that it has been lost in film making the artistic creativity. Horror movies just go for as fucked up as it can think of and try to make the audience uncomfortable and cue that perverted side in people to see if they will come back for more. there is zero things about this movie that is interesting creative or original so it gets a zero
½ December 8, 2015
Horrible mOvie!! WhO has a sick mind tO cOme up with this??
December 2, 2015
Tom Six manages to create a disturbing atmosphere using a black and white cinematography and wide angle shots, but this awful sequel drags forever with not enough material to fill 90 minutes and most of it is so vile and sickening that it just overwhelms whatever merits it has.
November 17, 2015
Pros:
-Bloody and gory
-Acceptable acting
-Darker and more disgusting than the first film
-Acceptable story
-Disgusting main character
-Pretty gross

Cons:
-Disgusting main character (yes it's both a pro and a con)
-Not as unique as the first film
-Tries too hard to be disturbing in some scenes

Conclusion:
The Human Centipede 2 is a decent film and an overall improvement over the first film, in my opinion. It's worth a watch, Gorehounds.
October 31, 2015
I wasn't interested in this movie and I should stay like that. It was disturbing, disgusting and quite annoying. My sister made me watch it so that we can watch the 3rd one on Halloween. No need.
½ October 30, 2015
SLIGHTLY LESS BORING THAN ORIGINALLY!
½ October 30, 2015
The only movie worse than this one is Spring Breakers! Man, this movie sucked! Though the first movie was not a masterpiece, the Dr/evil scientist guy was perfect for his role! And that movie did contain some really sick shit but it kept you wanting to watch. There was just no substance to this movie, it was lame all the way through. Skip this one, you'll just waste your time! 3/10, GARBAGE!
October 28, 2015
I really pushed myself out of my comfort-zone for this one. I remember my ex talking about it when it came out and I was genuinely horrified at the thought of it's content. But a stronger, more objective me sat down after making it through the first sequence and I genuinely thought it was a screwed-up brilliant mess. Horror films rarely leave an impact on me, but the sheer sadistic nature really left a mark on my desensitised soul. I liked the contrasting style of the film to the original as Six goes for a different tone this time around. Thought it had a interesting meta storyline as well; particularly enjoyed Ashlynn Yennie's characterisation of herself.
October 22, 2015
so clever of tom six to make his first film "just a film" & his second film "reality." lots of fun as long as you know what your getting into.
½ October 21, 2015
Goofy,annoying and offensive to its viewrs The Human Centipede 2 fails at everything it was trying to build up.
½ October 13, 2015
It's a disgusting exercise in poor taste, but that's sort of the point, isn't it? Tom Six directs this movie with a kind of sick satisfaction that is intriguing to watch. I just wish the images he puts on-screen were more bearable. It isn't a good movie by any means, but it's definitely an interesting filmmaking exercise, however tasteless and ugly.