The Hunger Games - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunger Games Reviews

April 1, 2017
The Hunger Games is an emotionally driven and captivating film from start to finish, even though directing is a bit dull and distracting. A must see!
March 28, 2017
Hunger Games, is an action-packed/ Gore movie, that all teens and adults will love, but has some boring scenes...
March 25, 2017
To slow of a movie with introductions and not getting down to action hay I thought it was a boring movie sometimes a sequel is better. So not a fan of this!
March 23, 2017
Could have been great, but lacks many of the things that makes movies great. It lacks scenes that create tension. It also lacks truly good action scenes when they are in the forest. Plus, it made too many mistakes. It needed more editing. What saves it from being terrible is Jennifer Lawrence. She is so adorable.
March 17, 2017
An interesting storyline that was unfortunately underplayed in the film, lack of character development, and bad CGI all made for a movie that could have been great but in the end was mediocre.
March 15, 2017
A suspenseful, smart, and highly entertaining adaptation of the book.
½ March 14, 2017
The first part is setting up the story, a very good one & introduction to our characters. Jennifer Lawrence's acting is above average.
March 8, 2017
Came away very surprised with how well this movie was done. This movie could have been an epic fail. But, this was more than you'd expect from a summer blockbuster. The pace of the film was enough to keep you from looking at your watch. The director made excellent choices by omitting some potentially bad book-to-movie pitfalls. The acting was also very well done.
½ February 27, 2017
I highly recommend this movie to people who love thrillers and romantic dystopian movies. This movie stars Jennifer Lawrence (Katniss Everdeen), Josh Hutcherson
(Peeta Mellark) and Liam Hemsworth (Gale Hawthorne). This movie was directed by Gary Ross, whose popularity increased greatly after directing "The Hunger Games".
I think that many people would love this movie. There is a crazy love triangle, where both Peeta and Gale love Katniss. When the annual competition starts called the Hunger Games, you are constantly at the tip of your seat. You are constantly wondering which character will be safe from the scary effects of the competition. I also think that the nation of Panem is super interesting to find out about. In "The Hunger Games", the people of Panem wear very interesting clothes. They have super bright colors and everything is very eccentric. I love the way Gary Ross had all of the apartments and houses. Everything is futuristic and exciting. There is also very few cuss words or inappropriate scenes, if that is what you are concerned about.
Some people might not like this movie because there may be too much fighting or just the concept is too cruel. It may be too much for younger children as in there is some fighting. This movie is also partially sad. Katniss goes through some rough times and it pulls some of your heart strings. Also some people may not like this movie because sometimes it can be cheesy with the costumes and the sets. They may be looking for a more mature and feel good movie.
I believe that everyone should give this movie a chance. You will be on the tip of your chair throughout the whole film. You can get a good laugh and cry all at the same time.
½ February 24, 2017
The hype that this film received didn't exactly make me want to rush out and see this, but when presented with the opportunity, it turned out to be fairly easy viewing. A lot of comparisons are being made with the book but as I'm not one to read they'll be no such thing from me. I somehow get the impression though that similar to the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy, this movie will receive more and more hype as the films keep on coming. Exactly what makes it compelling is hard to pinpoint, but it's more that there is not a lot wrong with it that keeps its watchability factor up. The sadistic side of me was admittedly quite entertained by the premise of an arena full of kids battering each other to the death, although you know from the 12A rating that this is never going to be as gruesome as it sounds. I guess in a sense this was technically the toned down version of 'Battle Royale', with no gore and no brutality..... It's all in the mind, with the odd snippet of violence here and there to keep the hardened teenagers amused. In hindsight, I guess this film was a little predictable in the sense that we all know who is likely to be the victor in this tournament, and it's quite astounding how little they have to do to actually win! Many of the kills just happen in the free-for-all at the start when 50% of the contenders are wiped out immediately. Other than district 1 and 2 bad-asses, we learn very little of anyone else. It's disappointing that we therefore miss a lot of potential action, but on the other hand I understand that the target market for this film would not be primarily concerned with that as it focuses more on using the imagination, creating fantasy worlds, and giving the audience a hero / heroine to root for - In fact, you could say this is a film somewhere in the middle of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. As an independent film, you'd think this has a long drawn out introduction, but given it's a series with four instalments, the prolonged wait before the main action makes a bit more sense. Therefore, despite not feeling gripped at first, it's definitely a film that does progress and gets better with time. With that in mind, fingers crossed it can continue where it left off in episode 2 as i'm not totally sold on this series just yet, but I'll certainly give the sequel a look in!
February 23, 2017
They changed and left out many things from the book, but overall I enjoyed the movie, and look forward to Catching Fire!
February 19, 2017
Where is the hunger in The Hunger Games?
February 18, 2017
Came in expecting to be disappointed. Boy was I wrong.
February 14, 2017
very good and enjoyable movie
February 12, 2017
This film is the one of the best film science fiction I ever watch. The best, in this film is story. I reccomend this film.
February 7, 2017
omg haters back off the actors for this were sooo good. The movie was awesome. It wasn't perfect but trust me catching fire is all in a bag of chips I am talking romance, quarter quell, danger, family, Finnick, gale, peeta, prim everything is on the line.
½ January 28, 2017
Gives an amazing insight into the personal cost of a dictatorship to initial innocents and the political games that get played
½ January 16, 2017
A great movie...although I liked the book better?? ??????????????
½ January 12, 2017
Amazing. It makes the book come alive in an enlightening way, though missing some details. This is one movie I'll never forget.
January 8, 2017
Having never read any of the books, yet knowing the premise of the franchise, I have to say one of the weirdest elements I found was that the main selling point, a bunch of kids forced to fight to the death, wasn't even featured until well over an hour into it. You could make the case that means it gives you more time to get to know the characters, but the characters just aren't that great. They're never bad per say, yet a big discerning point for me. Plus the whole point of a first movie in a franchise is to get you to see more, and I can say I'm really not motivated to see more.